Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The tail of three buffalo nickels....SLABS REVEALED....

crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 26, 2018 11:38AM in U.S. Coin Forum

These 3 1926 Buffs are in my primary collection. I have a dilemma cause I can't decide which of these three I like the most. To me they are all beautiful or I would not have purchased them in the first place. But which one do you think is the most attractive? Or, which one you would keep . In no particular order they have been graded 65-65+ & 66. Two of them are pcgs graded coins and the other is housed in an old ANA holder. You can also try to match the grades up to these Buffs if ya want. I'll post pics of the coins in their slabs in a day or two.
Thank you for your help and happy hunting, Joe :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comments

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

All are fun to look at, but if forced, it would come down to the second and third coin...the third one the keeper.

• Options
    JcldJcld Posts: 449 ✭✭✭

I like the 3rd one the best.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 spots first to go, last two I like

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I had your dilemma :) .... I really like the third one the best it's killer to my eyes!!

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regardless of grade, I like the toner #1. Then definitely the old ANA slab -- love those. Even if not in the small ANA slab, I like the streaky look of that coin over the one with the light spots. But, you're correct, they're all great!

Jeff

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like number three, number two and then number one...in that order.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

The ANACS 26 is the nicest. If the colorful is the 66, it got a color bump. I see a 65+ max on it.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 gets my vote-love the color!

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

Wouldn't kick any of them out, but #3 is killer ! ! !

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked at the "tail" on all three Buffalo nickels, and that's not the basis of how I would choose...

• Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

Great eye as usual!

For me, it'd be a close contest, but #3 would be my keeper.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

All are great coins. Keep them all. If you must sell 2 keep #3.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2018 8:06PM

2 By far, Joe. The braid detail is the giveaway.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

Don't know why the font is so large. Not my fault.

Pete

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, Pete-I had the same problem. I think it has something to do with the hashtag symbol.

• Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! Tough choice as they are all glittery luster bombs... I would say without seeing them in hand, the last one in the PCGS holder with more color... AB

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

A tough choice between 2 and 3.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

1st = MS65
    2nd =MS66
    3rd =MS65+
    All very nice.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Number 1 has a nice strike but I agree,
    3 is the best compromise of strike and eye appeal. Beautiful coin.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, I wish I had to make decisions like this! I'm going go with #2 just because I like that "banded sandstone" toning . #3 look great too and is the most eye catching, but for me the second coin is the keeper. (great images as always, Joe!)

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 for eye appeal 2 for strike. Spots on 1.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Between 2 and 3. I love the reverse on 3. Great coins Joe!!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Number two.... that would be the keeper for me.....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also select #2. Love the strike and the streaked color. I recently sold a group of coins to a large coin company I have dealt with for 10 years or more, and a key coin was returned as not acceptable because of a small spot on the reverse similar to #1 reverse spot, it was a pcgs graded coin as is yours. I have sold many buffs with spots similar and never gotten one back, so since then, I have stayed away from these spots.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the 2nd.
    Followed by the third.
    Sell the first one first. It'd a nice coin, but the others you have are superior.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2018 8:41AM

3 by a long shot!

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

The third has the least number of detracting defects. :wink:

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 = Spots N/G
    2 = Nice Coin
    3 = Nice coin with better color than 2 so 3 is the keeper.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

3, a real keeper

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@ad4400 said:
    you know I have coveted #2 for a while now :)

You know too much so you can't play :):)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2018 12:34PM

2 for me. If color is your thing then 3.

Whats with the monster font?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

i like the third one best. jmo

• Options

Seems like #3 is getting the vote. I bought a couple of other outstanding Buffs from the same seller. Maybe I'll put them up soon.

• Options

The obverse is all chewed up on number 2. If you like discolored lamination errors this one's for you. >:)

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    The obverse is all chewed up on number 2. If you like discolored lamination errors this one's for you. >:)

Where do you see this lamination ? Please do point it out to me :)

• Options

@Insider2 said:

It has the best strike of the three. That's all I wanted to observe. C'mon, it's not that chewed up.

Enlighten me.

Pete

• Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

3rd

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2018 3:42PM

Number 3 Joe all the way, it's got it all buddy. <3 And, I'll take #2 off your hands when you're ready...great coin for the Type Set I've not started, yet. Yours could be the beginning!!!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

2, 3, 1

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options

It is a fun hobby. I can’t seem to lay off of the Buffs. We’ve got a long for decades now.
    Thanks to all :)

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

3 for me.

Never been a fan of the streaky toning look on the reverse of 1 and obverse of 2.

They are all nice coins & thanks for sharing and the interesting thread. :)

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options

A bump for the slabs revealed.
    Thank again to all.
    Happy hunting, Joe

• Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

I don't care for the spots on the first coin, but #2 and #3 are very nice. #2 would probably grade higher today, but I like the old holder.

Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    @Insider2 said:

It has the best strike of the three. That's all I wanted to observe. C'mon, it's not THAT chewed up.

Enlighten me.

Pete

You are correct. It all depends on what "THAT" means.

You asked for opinions. Here are mine: While each is attractive, the first nickel has a few corrosion spots; the second is laminated with an attractively discolored purple-black (I like purple) "rough" obverse; and the third is the best. :)

• Options

Thank again to all.
    Happy hunting, Joe> @Insider2 said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    @Insider2 said:

It has the best strike of the three. That's all I wanted to observe. C'mon, it's not THAT chewed up.

Enlighten me.

Pete

You asked for opinions. Here are mine: While each is attractive, the first nickel has a few corrosion spots; the second is laminated with an attractively discolored purple-black (I like purple) "rough" obverse; and the third is the best. :)

It’s all good. I just don’t see the chewed up corrosion and was asking you to point it out.
    :)

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I see is streaking that occurs on these buffs. I don't see the lamination that you speak of. Can you better point it out? Thanks.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jesbroken said:
    All I see is streaking that occurs on these buffs. I don't see the lamination that you speak of. Can you better point it out? Thanks.
    Jim

@crazyhounddog said:
    Thank again to all.
    Happy hunting, Joe> @Insider2 said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    @Insider2 said:

Enlighten me.

Pete

It’s all good. I just don’t see the chewed up corrosion and was asking you to point it out.
    :)

I tried to copy the image, magnify the area and post it with no luck as I am ignorant about computers. Let me try to explain in words. In my experience, "streaked" buffalos are not normally black. Additionally, the streaks are not hairline sharp lines as seen in many places on your piece. Laminations, look that way. Now look at the group of sharp pin-pricks in the discolored portion of the hair. Compare that area with your other coins. I don't think it is corrosion; however, it is not OPSI (original planchet surface imperfections) that are not struck out.

I just looked again. The surface is chewed up in the direction of the lamination so they are tiny ares of missing surface. Remember, this is all IMO.

Your knowledge of Buffalo's is way above mine. You have the coin and all this should be obvious under 10X magnification. Try florescent light to examine the area. Tell us what you see.

• Options

@Insider2 said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    @Insider2 said:

Enlighten me.

Pete

Thank you Mr. Insider. I like the best struck coin. Your spot on (no pun) analysis is appreciated.

Pete

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file