Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Apmex screwed me anyway

Comments

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

And one last bit, ebay protects their top producers. I am unable to leave feedback for this transaction.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2018 8:00PM

@ACop said:
    For everyone here siding with Apmex, explain the fact that despite the email i posted above about "a gold cac is worth much more than this price"...here is the listing up again just as when I fell for it. Same price, same gold sticker in headline.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1938-Walking-Liberty-Half-Dollar-PR-65-NGC-Gold-CAC-SKU-88017-/142728793916

I can't wait to see the answer when I ask if I'm getting the coin pictured....or even one with a gold CAC.

@MsMorrisine said:
    Call ebay to adjust balance and certificate balance?

Yes, but because the bucks got pulled the OP has a negative balance. For the quarter going forward that means the OP will not get the bonus buck offers.

All eBay bucks will be the 1% base. There will be no 8% days etc until he spends enough to get the balance back to positive. For those who like to time purchases to coincide with the bonus bucks this is a real impact on the bottom line.

edited to add:

I am a bad person and could NOT help myself. Perhaps it was the wine. This is the message I sent them via eBay:

" Would the coin sent be the one in the picture? If this is a stock photo, will the coin sent be one with a gold CAC and in an 'old fatty' slab per the description? I'm sure you understand my concerns given recent events."

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stork said:

Yes, but because the bucks got pulled the OP has a negative balance. For the quarter going forward that means the OP will not get the bonus buck offers.

All eBay bucks will be the 1% base. There will be no 8% days etc until he spends enough to get the balance back to positive. For those who like to time purchases to coincide with the bonus bucks this is a real impact on the bottom line.

Create another ebay account like the rest of us do. You can use same paypal , physical address and everything, just need a different email address. OP could have created 5,000 new ebay accounts with less effort then he spent whining about a stupid gold sticker. Geeze, you got your money back, they even offered you another solution to let him keep coin with partial refund and he's still playing the victim.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2018 8:15PM

@ACop said:

I have it in my cart awaiting APMEX to response whether I'll be getting the exact coin being featured on their active listing.
    UNBELIEVABLE!

• Options
    edited April 18, 2018 9:35PM

To begin with for the next would be buyer NOBODY will ever get this exact coin with GREEN CAC because the picture of GREEN CAC sticker is IMPOSSED upon.
    Read the fine print on their own APMEX web page on this very coin.
    It says : "GOLD CAC sticker DENOTES a coin that COULD EASILY RECEIVE A GREEN STICKER of the NEXT HIGHER level.
    Very bad business practice :s

• Options

If someone buys this coin and gets the coin pictured from them I will flip my sht

• Options

The coin pictured does show up in the cac and NGC look up. I thought those were all positive signs when I was looking to buy it.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2018 9:03PM

@coinpalice said:
    with all this free advertising your giving apmex, they should just give you the coin. reading this forum makes me want to see if they have any specials going on

Best post on a thread of strike outs.

• Options
    edited April 18, 2018 10:01PM

On their CURRENT listing the slab should've been shown with the GOLD CAC sticker according to CAC :/ data base & NOT the 'promise" green bean as currently being featured both on eBay as well as their web site. :s
    Very clever disclaimer....the picture takes the cake!

• Options
    edited April 18, 2018 10:01PM

It is registered with GOLD CAC but currently being offered with the picture of green bean on it.....

• Options

9-4 lets go Dodgers! ;)

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will stipulate that APMEX just doesn't give a rip about you, your transaction with them, or frankly any individual customer. It's hardly personal; they're a high volume low margin retailer and at some point, out of thousands of otherwise happy customers and successful transactions, they're gonna screw up.

Some days you're the pigeon, my friend, and other days you're the statue.

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hchcoin said:

@ACop said:
    For everyone here siding with Apmex, explain the fact that despite the email i posted above about "a gold cac is worth much more than this price"...here is the listing up again just as when I fell for it. Same price, same gold sticker in headline.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1938-Walking-Liberty-Half-Dollar-PR-65-NGC-Gold-CAC-SKU-88017-/142728793916

Unbelievable! You can't make stuff like this up. Unreal. That could be some of the worst customer service I have seen in a long time.

Just for fun I messaged them on the listing page: "If I order this specific item, do you guarantee the the coin will have the Gold CAC sticker?"

I'll report back any response I get.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

So it's like this. Donald thought he had a date with Melania and Stormy showed up. Well Stormy wasn't bad but it was not what he thought that he was getting. So, after some fooling around he dumped Stormy and had her sign a letter not to disclose anything so that Melania wouldn't find out.

Sounds about the same. Buyer got screwed (pun intended) really good all the way around.

Hope is eternal and perhaps you'll end up with the real prize in the long run down the road.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2018 10:52PM

@AUandAG said:

Are they sticker-ed as well? ;) and what happened to the bucks?

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

You lost me.
    Good luck.
    APMEX has screwed people over before.

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stork said:

balance?

There's no evidence of this. At least one poster indicated that he got offers while holding a negative balance.

• Options

Apmex is wrong here.

OP remains a bit over the top, however, about his imputed losses.

It's not eBay protecting Apmex. They don't let you leave feedback on the returned item - which is probably why Apmex went that route.

• Options

@BlindedByEgo said:
    I will stipulate that APMEX just doesn't give a rip about you, your transaction with them, or frankly any individual customer. It's hardly personal; they're a high volume low margin retailer and at some point, out of thousands of otherwise happy customers and successful transactions, they're gonna screw up.

Some days you're the pigeon, my friend, and other days you're the statue.

I will say this and I consider it a positive. The email I posted above was sent to me after my very first call to report the error. It was before I posted here. When I spoke to that person they had no clue what Ebay bucks even was. And he admitted so. So he had no idea of what the ramifications were. And as such he offered the blanket $50 credit. If I was buying bullion I would have thought that a solid resolution, if say I was buying scottsdale brick stackers and instead I got lion round stackers or whatever.

But I am a coin collector, and I think my coins posted show I have a decent discerning eye for nice coins and have put together a decent looking set of dreck. I would NEVER buy a coin for my collection sight unseen. Not in PCGS, not in NGC, not stickered...never. I collect eye appealing coins, not dates or keys. And Apmex with this policy is forcing people into a sight unseen transaction at best....bait and switch at worst.

Anyway, back to my point, after that offer didnt work for me, i declined and made the post here. I knew there was a chance Apmex might care to make it right if they followed the boards. And after 3 days posting here, the same guy called me back, and was clearly instructed by someone who follows these boards and understands the issue, to offer me the direct check off ebay deal and I immediately accpted and thanked him. But it was clear that he was not the one making the decision. So at least someone at Apmex cares, and thats good.

When I called today to report the issue, I spoke to the same messenger and explained what happened. He then offered to reverse the paypal refund and send a check. At that point I felt, without knowing the technicals on ebay whether this would reverse the ebay bucks too, so I told him I wasnt looking to complicate it any further. I told him he should go back to whoever instructed the first check offer and let them know that someone f'd up on this deal yet again. And he said OK he would and will call me back.

I understand Apmex is huge. And I am pretty sure someone will eventually make this right. And I agree it will end up not being worth the trouble had I just kept the $50 refund and just kept the coin. I was tempted to. And if I had liked the coin I might have. But the coin was ugly. It had water/milk spots. And it probablly wouldnt have even green beaned in PF65 let alone gold. And they are wrong about the value of the bean not being in there. I paid PF66 money for that coin. And the fact that they relisted the coin for same price with gold bean in title shows that the market for the gold. Sure maybe in a collector to collector deal I might get a bean hunter to pay me even more. But I AM THE COLLECTOR. I wasnt looking to flip this. Look at my BST and ebay listings. I sell very few coins. Maybe 5 in the past 2 years. At this point I am fighting this fight on principle. Other people are getting screwed by this listing policy and eventually someone was going to make that stand. I am that whiney douchebag, nice to meet you.

• Options

@callawayc7 said:
    So, the title says Gold CAC, the picture shows a Gold CAC coin, and the description says Gold CAC and they relisted it exactly as before knowing full well that the buyer is NOT getting a Gold CAC coin. Anybody on this forum listing that would be called a bait and switch scammer here.

The current listing show the CAC more on the green coloration instead of gold

• Options
    callawayc7callawayc7 Posts: 303 ✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:

It looks kind of gold on my little tablet, but it could be green on a bigger screen.
    But either way, ACop said his coin didn’t have any CAC sticker at all. So green or gold he got nada.

• Options
    edited April 19, 2018 1:03AM

@Paradisefound said:

@callawayc7 said:
    So, the title says Gold CAC, the picture shows a Gold CAC coin, and the description says Gold CAC and they relisted it exactly as before knowing full well that the buyer is NOT getting a Gold CAC coin. Anybody on this forum listing that would be called a bait and switch scammer here.

At certain angles, sometimes the green ones look gold and the gold ones look green. Here is a gold one where you can see a little green shining thru. The holgram paper has dozens of layers to produce the effect and if you tilt it just right you can get a lot of different colors out of a hologram:

• Options

And here's another example with 2 pics of the same sticker, one looks gold the other looks green.

http://www.tipsicocoin.com/browse_item.html?category_id=3221&item_id=5209&page=8

• Options
    thevolcanogodthevolcanogod Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

All other aside, if I were CAC I would be deeply concerned about a company using my sticker, superimposed on a slab, just because the seller felt it would merit it. That would be like shopping a raw coin into a PCGS holder because you thought it would merit the grade.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    This is far worse than getting sucked out of an airplane window.

Glad I opened this thread just for this... Too funny! :D

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2018 7:34AM

The bifurcation takes front and center. Well and good. APMEX is known for dealing bullion. So, maybe everybody should consider that , first.

Speaking of CAC and color....I’m reminded of that dress.

;

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

no introspection from apmex

none at all

unbelievable.

I can't wait for the responses.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2018 7:28AM

The couple of gold CAC stickered holders that I have scanned and listed on Ebay have appeared as green.

Perhaps a redesign is in order.

• Options

@thevolcanogod said:
    All other aside, if I were CAC I would be deeply concerned about a company using my sticker, superimposed on a slab, just because the seller felt it would merit it. That would be like shopping a raw coin into a PCGS holder because you thought it would merit the grade.

Just to be clear, the coin pictured in the auction is in fact CAC gold legit. I ran the numbers. It shows up in CAC database. Problem is thats not the coin they shipped.

• Options

I don’t know if you want to be a seller. I am. You can’t imagine how many butthead buyers there are.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop said:

@thevolcanogod said:

Just to be clear, the coin pictured in the auction is in fact CAC gold legit. I ran the numbers. It shows up in CAC database. Problem is thats not the coin they shipped.

Guaranteed if you pulled the same thing with APMEX they would see the error in your ways.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options

@ACop said:
    And one last bit, ebay protects their top producers. I am unable to leave feedback for this transaction.

Feedback doesn't mean much at the volume level that they do.

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    The bifurcation takes front and center. Well and good. APMEX is known for dealing bullion. So, maybe everybody should consider that , first.

Speaking of CAC and color....I’m reminded of that dress.

;

What dress??

• Options
    edited April 19, 2018 8:13AM

It was a great debate. The same dress. To some it looks white and gold. To others it looks blue and black.
    Like those gold and green hologram stickers can change color , depending on one's "view". I'm not an expert on stickers or dresses, though. Now on business practices, I consider myself a fair man.

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2018 8:23AM

Was the old listing also a quantity listing? The current listing has their SKU# in the title and is listed in quantity, with 1 sold and 1 available. It should be assumed that a stock image is being used because it's obvious multiple buyers cannot all receive the same serial numbered item pictured. A buyer of such a listing should only expect to receive a coin in the listed grade with a gold sticker on it. If the listing was in error and what they're selling doesn't have gold stickers then you will have no issue obtaining a full refund including return shipping.

• Options

Did you get the current 8% offer @ACop ?

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    with all this free advertising your giving apmex, they should just give you the coin. reading this forum makes me want to see if they have any specials going on

The special would be free rock salt in the vaseline at no extra charge.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    Long but interesting thread. Bottom line is that @ACop didn't receive the coin pictured and as described (gold CAC).

If anyone out there thinks that this is an OK selling practice (and then has issues/plays games with the refund or correction), then I sure wouldn't want to do business with you and would add you to my block list in a half a heartbeat.

No one thinks its right. BUT where we differ is what APMEX should do about it. They made a mistake, offered a full refund, and even offered a partial refund option. To me, they are obviously trying to make it right. The OP is throwing a fit about losing out on a bonus that APMEX has nothing to do with. Those of us that think he is taking it a little too far just don't agree that APMEX should pay him an addition $700 or whatever he is wanting.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinPhysicist said:

@hchcoin said:
    Are you kidding me? He ordered an A coin and they shipped him a C coin. He wants the A coin that he bought, not a refund. It's not that hard to understand his frustration. The coin was in a holder with a specific ID. It's not like he was buying a roll of silver Eagles. They advertised one thing and shipped another so they should make it right. He gave them a way to make it right and they even messed that up.

He got screwed in my book plain and simple.

We both know that this is not why OP is frustrated at this point. Looks like OP was already issued a refund because they sent what wasn't advertised. OP is frustrated and venting over lost future eBay bucks as a result of this.

If you earn regular Bucks and there is a return no biggie so why should bonus bucks be any different? Pay your money and take your chances. Key to be learned here is not to spend them until you're sure that they are yours. The question is if you spend the Bucks on a buy that goes south should eBay give you a second shot?

• Options
    edited April 19, 2018 9:22AM

@Wabbit2313 said:
    ACop, can we please have your eBay ID so we can all block you? B)

Sure thing. Please do. It's "coinrainbows"...with a C

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Did you get the current 8% offer @ACop ?

Because I am a man of honor, principle and good loins, I will admit that yes I got the email and activated and so far it looks like yes I did. I will try and buy some bullion from apmex later and see it works. The situation described earlier where the offers stop might be if the account is negative after XX amount of time maybe? I will test the theory and quickly use the promotion to get my balance back to + so that maybe we can avoid this. I will also say though, that if in fact I can get it back to 0 without problem, makes someoone think that this excuses Apmex, BS. They are still on my shishlist

• Options

@jwitten said:

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    Long but interesting thread. Bottom line is that @ACop didn't receive the coin pictured and as described (gold CAC).

If anyone out there thinks that this is an OK selling practice (and then has issues/plays games with the refund or correction), then I sure wouldn't want to do business with you and would add you to my block list in a half a heartbeat.

No one thinks its right. BUT where we differ is what APMEX should do about it. They made a mistake, offered a full refund, and even offered a partial refund option. To me, they are obviously trying to make it right. The OP is throwing a fit about losing out on a bonus that APMEX has nothing to do with. Those of us that think he is taking it a little too far just don't agree that APMEX should pay him an addition $700 or whatever he is wanting.

Please quote the thread where I said I felt Apmex should pay me $700? I agreed to a check refund from them for the exact amount paid. Yes that would have netted me 90 something ebay bucks. Which they DID cost me in the end. Where did I say I wanted $700 free from them? Please dont make things up. Broadstruck did that to me long ago and he is STILL on my shtlist. So choose wisely how you fabricate lies about people.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file