Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1936 Long Island Half Dollar Appreciation Thread

Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 15, 2018 8:26PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I really like this issue as I do all ship Classic Commems. It’s also very inexpensive. I remember buying a Lustrous PCGS 64 at a show in Camden in June 1997 for $100 which was CDN Whsl ask. CPG currently shows this coin at $115 MS64 and $188 MS65. It’s a nice way to start Classic Commems.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some years back I was looking to acquire this commemorative...At the time, it seemed all I saw (that I liked) were strongly priced... never did get one...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    I really like this issue as I do all ship Classic Commems. It’s also very inexpensive. I remember buying a Lustrous PCGS 64 at a show in Camden in June 1997 for $100 which was CDN Whsl ask. CPG currently shows this coin at $115 MS64 and $188 MS65. It’s a nice way to start Classic Commems.

Are you sure they had coin shows in Camden, NJ or did you maybe buy that off a Crackhead? ;):D

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doug
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

photo Long_Island_Token_Combo1.jpg

The 300th anniversary of the first European settlement on present day Long Island (derived from the Dutch Lange Eylandt) was cause for a large local celebration, held from May 30th to September 7th, 1936. The Committee in charge of the celebration sought Congressional approval for a commemorative coin that would help offset the costs. Legislation for the proposed half dollar was held up until a month before the celebration, and with the Mint backed up due to numerous other commemorative projects (1936 being the peak year for the series), reduction work on Howard Weinman’s models had to be done out of house at the Medallic Art Company. Delays in production meant that the coins would not be ready in time for the event.

With no coin to sell, organizers sought to issue a private medal. The Long Island Tercentenary Commemoration so-called dollar (HK694-694a) is struck on gilt copper and features the busts of a European settler and a Native American on the obverse. Unlike the coin, where the portraits are conjoined and face to the right, on the so-called dollar they face each other. The reverse features a federal eagle with a one star shield, fasces on both sides, and the inscriptions LONG ISLAND’S FIRST WHITE SETTLEMENT and 1636.

An item in my collection.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019 9:56PM

I recently won a nice NGC63 LI off eBay for all of $67. Why don’t people want these? TPG price 115.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭

Errol Flynn and Robert Mitchum, right?

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

there a nice coin to look at. some things do not get the respect they should I guess

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the example I had in my first Commemorative set. MS65. I'm still on the hunt for a nice lightly toned MS66 for my new set. Its not my favorite commem in the set.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rarely ever nicely toned. They almost always look like someone sneezed on them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file