Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Experiences with Kuenker auctions... feedback please...now with Pics!

Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 19, 2018 11:40AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I was looking at some of the offerings in the upcoming Kunker auctions that are of interest, but I have never purchased a coin from them before. There is no way I could view coins in hand, and the pictures are only OK.

Wondering about experiences good and bad.

Thanks,
Bob

My current "Box of 20"

Comments

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought from them in the past, great!

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Their descriptions are generally honest and grading conservative. A ‘VZ’ can oftentimes translate to our AU, and ‘VZ/ST’ to our ChAU. ‘ST’ is usually 62 and higher.

Usually because you also have to look at the entire description where they may say, in German, scratch or mount or repair or dig or deep toning.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

@Bob13,

I forgot to mention that I have bought from them, with no issues. One lot arrived a little bit nicer than expected, and another arrived with less toning on obverse than expected but the surface was fresher and cleaner.

Delivery from Germany to USA is very efficient, aside from the unavoidable customs delay.

One caveat: Kuenker has a very strong book. You’ll compete against many other strong bidders, so it’s difficult to win a lot at wholesale level. So, select choice lots for which bidding strong is not unwise and then jump in with gusto!

If you PM me with links to specific lots, I can take a look and offer my sincerest advice.

EVP

• worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

I have been very pleased with the results. Estimates are largely irrelevant; not unusual to see final hammer at 3-5x estimate, higher on choice lots.

• koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

I was lucky in most of the lots I won from them. The pictures of all of these were diffused and could not make out the surfaces. I got a few great deals while the ones which were not made up for the others. My strategy after that was to bid conservatively so there are not many disappointments. That said I chickened out bidding strong on lots I really liked since I was unsure about the coin in question. Overall a very positive experience.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also note, They will accept justifyable returns.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

EVP is absolutely correct. A VERY strong book. Depending upon the
    lot, you will be bidding against serious collectors who are very knowledgeable
    and have DEEP pockets. I have won 50% of the lots that I've bid over the
    last 10+ years. Best of luck.

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

I appreciate all of the responses. Did seem like the estimates were (in some cases very) low, so thank you for confirming that.

Anyone have a dealer that they would recommend for an in-hand examination and appraisal?

My current "Box of 20"

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

Has kunker ever sold a counterfeit?

Do they have a guarantee? Reason I ask is they have a pattern there that I asked a experienced collector about and it might be a fake.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.

@mkman123 said:
    Has kunker ever sold a counterfeit?

Do they have a guarantee? Reason I ask is they have a pattern there that I asked a experienced collector about and it might be a fake.

Most dealers, if they've been business long enough, will have bought or sold a counterfeit. It happens, especially with raw material. The ethical ones will try to make good on a bad sale; their reputation is far more important to them than one sale no matter how large the amount.

I am unaware of any whispers (or worse!) of unethical behavior by Kuenker.

Hope this helps, but if not you can always contact Kuenker directly about your concern. I'd be shocked if they didn't respond to you forthrightly.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received my lot today as well. I thought they shipped exceedingly fast—about a week after the auction and before I paid.

Like the OP, my lot was nicer than I expected and nicer than the photo made it appear. And they packed it very well.

I got mine today too. Sadly, they’re actually for a friend of mine on the other side of the country (I won nothing for myself this time). But as expected, Kuenker was excellent in every way.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have never had or heard of any serious complaints or issues with Kuenker. shipping time can be 4 days or up to 3 weeks. they ship always very secure.
    Once you are established with them they are very good.
    However, there are a few other houses in Germany which come not even close.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those auctions are very well covered. I always use representatives when bidding with them.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2018 8:00PM

@Boosibri said:
    Those auctions are very well covered. I always use representatives when bidding with them.

I normally do as well. One tends to get better prices that way. ;)

For some reason, I thought my lot was part of an e-auction with no floor bidding, so I entered an online bid rather than have an agent view/bid. I think I was wrong in that it was a floor sale.

I was pleased anyway.

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Pretty indeed. Those coins have a lot going on. you can examine it over and over again and notice more and more not seen first look.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a gorgeous thaler!

Your updated image is killer

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent!! Nice pics too.

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

To give credit where credit is due, photos are by @indeetlib. Agree they are superb!

My current "Box of 20"