Home Sports Talk

World Cup Soccer 2018

ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Who are you rooting for, and who do you pick to win it all ?

Odds to win 2018 FIFA World Cup

Germany 9-2
Brazil 5-1
France 11-2
Spain 7-1
Argentina 8-1
Belgium 12-1
England 20-1
Portugal 20-1
Colombia 25-1
Uruguay 25-1
Russia 30-1
Croatia 30-1
Poland 40-1
Mexico 60-1
Switzerland 80-1
Denmark 80-1
Sweden 80-1
Serbia 150-1
Japan 150-1
Egypt 150-1
Senegal 150-1
Nigeria 200-1
Iceland 200-1
Peru 200-1
Costa Rica 250-1
Morocco 250-1
Iran 250-1
Australia 250-1
Tunisia 500-1
South Korea 500-1
Panama 1000-1
Saudi Arabia 1000-1

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2018 4:52PM

I like France.

I’ll root for Poland and Mexico. The Mexicans have a tough draw with Germany and Sweden. The Russians have an easy draw into the KO round

I love the way the Germans and The Spainards play

So bummed Italy, the US and the Dutch didn’t qualify

I watch every match I can

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2018 2:31PM

I am Die Mannschaft all the way every cup, GO GERMANY! My jersey should be coming in soon, giggidy.

After that, with this batch of teams, i'm also pulling for Sweden, Costa Rica, and Iceland.

France will be tough, I'd give them better odds than Brazil.

With no Ireland or Italy or US in the mix the wife is Costa Rica since she lived there for a bit, and she might pull for Iceland since we did xmas up there.

Last cup the trophy tour came to HQ, got my pic with the gold. Only winners and heads of state can touch it, so it's in a plexi case for all of the photo ops they do for the fans.

One of my teammates is working on the tour this year, flying around with it and doing the events and sending out the corporate recap/updates and doing the social media pops on it. Coolest gig ever that I wanted a shot at but she had the beads on it from higher up. Destroying her passport.

edited March 16, 2018 3:00PM

Argentina does not have the proper support star players to work with Messi to pull a cup this go round I don't think, same as last time. He's a pretty much one man show there, unlike Barca where he has more of the right talent around to help feed him or get fed by him. Well, he had more better talent around until Neymar bolted to PSG. Those 2 had some good gel.

The Germans have a ridiculous deep talent squad. U21 champs on the bench or playing, gonna be good! And gonna be good for a stretch of years....hopefully, ha!

My only thing with Germany is if they get razzled by a faster team, think Spain, messing up their mojo.

edited March 24, 2018 8:50PM

Did not get to see that game the other day, was espn3less where we were hanging but did see Argentina/Italy.

Interesting lineup, 3 of your pics I have jerseys of, ha!

I’d throw the giant giraffe Mertesacker in the mix toward the back for d with that freak stride he had and reach to keep people off the ball when he got pushy.

Werner looked really good the other day for Leipzig too, think he’s gonna make a push for a chunk of time.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anybody really care about soccer??????LOL

edited March 25, 2018 11:55AM

It’s the worlds most popular sport so I guess it’s self evident. You do live on this planet correct?

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:
    It’s the worlds most popular sport so I guess it’s self evident. You do live on this planet correct?

m

I'm not a soccer fan and don't know anyone who is. I know the 3rd world countries go for it for some reason. I can't understand why. It's not big at all in the U.S..

edited March 27, 2018 4:48PM

So why troll a well marked soccer thread? To tell us there are lots of Americans who lack imagination? All first world nations go for it as well including the US. Over 100 million US citizens watched the last World Cup. That's 30% of the population. Over 3 billion worldwide viewed the last World Cup.

Did you know the Major League Soccer in the US out draws the NBA in average attendance?

mark

@Justacommeman said:
    So why troll a well marked soccer thread? To tell us there are lots of Americans who lack imagination? All first world nations go for it as well including the US. Over 100 million US citizens watched the last World Cup. That's 30% of the population. Over 3 billion worldwide viewed the last World Cup.

mark

I find that hard to believe. That means 3 out of every 10 people I know should have watched this Cup thing. Again nobody I know watches soccer. I didn't even know it was on T.V. But if you say it's popular in the U.S. I guess I will take your word for it. ;)

edited March 27, 2018 4:53PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

I find that hard to believe. That means 3 out of every 10 people I know should have watched this Cup thing. Again nobody I know watches soccer. I didn't even know it was on T.V. But if you say it's popular in the U.S. I guess I will take your word for it. ;)

Actually it doesn't mean that because 90% of the people I know watch it. Maybe more. You and your people are holding the numbers down : )

Don't have to take my word for it. The numbers are real.

Did you know the Major League Soccer in the US out draws the NBA in average attendance?

mark

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

mark

That I can't believe. Plus....is MLS even on T.V.?!

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

mark

That I can't believe. Plus....is MLS even on T.V.?!

Fox and ESPN carry MLS.

NBC carries the English Premier League

The World Cup is a ratings coupe

m

Oh well.......I plan to keep up my zero interest in soccer forever. I won't even tell you here what soccer is known as in my circle. ;)

edited March 27, 2018 5:30PM

@DIMEMAN said:
    Oh well.......I plan to keep up my zero interest in soccer forever. I won't even tell you here what soccer is known as in my circle. ;)

The worlds most popular sport will struggle on without you and your circle.

The World Cup is the biggest sporting event on the planet, bar none. Period. Exclamation point! Case closed.The World Cup stops the planet, an event 10 times bigger than the Olympic games in popularity and viewership.

Soccer is the world game, the No. 1 sport played in every corner of the planet. World Cup fever sweeps the globe, but Canada and the United States are two of the small handful of countries that haven't been entirely seduced by the charms of the beautiful game. Soccer is, by far, the most popular sport in the world.It is the No. 1 sport in 226 countries around the globe. In fact, there are only 35 countries where soccer isn't No. 1, including the U.S.A.

The list of where soccer is not No. 1:

Baseball is first in eight different countries which include Panama, Venezuela, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Japan, Nicaragua, Northern Marianas, and Taiwan.

Cricket is tops in eight countries: British Guyana, Antigua and Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, and Australia.

Rugby is leading in five countries, which include Fiji, Western Samoa, Tonga, New Zealand, and Wales.

Basketball is most popular in five countries: the Philippines, Lithuania, Puerto Rico, Marshall Islands, and the Bahamas.

Following behind is Ice Hockey, which is No. 1 in four countries including Canada, Finland, Latvia, and Estonia.

The other sports are all tied with being No. 1 in only one country.

Archery: Bhutan; Wrestling: Mongolia; AFL: Nauru; and Gaelic Football: Ireland Republic.

And, of course, American football is number one only in the United States.

The rest of the 226 countries in the world is where soccer is No. 1, which means the citizens go mostly to soccer games, watch mostly soccer, eat, drink, and live soccer most of their lives, and the majority play soccer.

Soccer is the second most popular sport in Venezuela, Japan, Nicaragua, Northern Marianas, Guyana, Antigua and Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Fiji, Western Samoa,Tonga, Wales, Lithuania, Bhutan, Finland, Latvia, Estonia, Mongolia, Nauru and Ireland Republic. Thats another 21 countries where soccer is second.

;):oB)

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dimeman, why pollute this thread with such ill-informed posts? If you don't like or follow soccer, just move on. Geez.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Soccer reminds me of Decker in the movie Airplane.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@Brick said:
    Soccer reminds me of Decker in the movie Airplane.

I can't say what it reminds me of. ;)

edited March 28, 2018 5:49AM

Atlanta United, the MLS team here, home opener this year had the biggest attendance in the history of MLS. They put more people into the Benz than the Falcons did for any single game last year. It's kinda popular...ha.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:
    Atlanta United, the MLS team here, home opener this year had the biggest attendance in the history of MLS. They put more people into the Benz than the Falcons did for any single game last year. It's kinda popular...ha.

Don't confuse us with actual facts, now..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Ha!

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

what soccer needs to draw Dimeman's attention is some anthem controversy. With so many countries involved there are about 200 different anthems to choose from. They pretty much all use music from the same three songs so even if the words are gibberish you can hum along

I wouldn't watch soccer if you paid me!

Open minded as usual

m

@Justacommeman said:
    Open minded as usual

m

I just know what I like and don't like. You telling me I should like soccer would be like me telling you that you shouldn't like soccer. ;)B)

edited April 6, 2018 10:06AM

Super fan package showed up. 69 days. Hopefully getting that 5th star!!

Chiefs were NASL. Saw them play a game probably in 79/80 with my dad.

Atlanta has a huge foreign base citizenship and soccer is big in the schools for both boys/girls. Plus, Blank is spending bucks on the squad, hoping to get a championship, so folks are excited about that after the Braves/Falcons/Hawks failure to deliver.

I really hope it sticks and we don’t go the way of our NHL teams...

• ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Nice jerseys. We are only a few months away. I love the world cup and am very excited that we are getting closer to opening kickoff.

45k+ at the Atlanta United game yesterday.

I watched a little of that yesterday. Having watched Bayern win the Bundesliga earlier in the morning, I was kind of soccered out for the day. Atlanta has a very impressive franchise. Good for them.

edited April 8, 2018 8:31AM

Wow. Just found this on the net. Very impressive.

https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2017-mls-attendance/

Talk about ending the season with a bang. First off: Atlanta United FC set a record for season attendance, becoming the first MLS team to surpass 800,000 fans in a season and breaking the record of 752,199 set by the Seattle Sounders in 2015. And with the crowd of 71.874, Atlanta United FC broke its own match attendance record set last month, when 70,245 fans were at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. These numbers helped MLS set an all-time season attendance record, surpassing the 8-million mark for the first time.

@Exodus said:
    I watched a little of that yesterday. Having watched Bayern win the Bundesliga earlier in the morning, I was kind of soccered out for the day. Atlanta has a very impressive franchise. Good for them.

Yeah I did the same basically. Bayern is my EU club team and the last United home game was also a Bayern morning, had to double duty jerseys!

• ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

A couple years back my family attended the Manchester United - Real Madrid game at Ann Arbor. ~109K, biggest attendance ever for a soccer game on US soil . Man. U. plays Liverpool there this summer. Be there. Aloha.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

@ADG that’s my home turf. Hopefullly I can join you. I think Michigan Stadium holds the record for largest Ice Hockey crowd as well

m

Juventus will play the MLS All Star team in Atlanta on August 1st. Buffon is expected to be retired by then.

I will hopefully get tickets to see Bayern play Juventus in Philadelphia on July 25th.
    Hopefully Bayern will have it's German internationals missing due to the World Cup :)

I’ll probably be at the all star/Juve game. Would like to see Bayern in the US but not sure if I’ll make that one.

edited April 23, 2018 5:47AM

52 days.

This walked into the bar yesterday for cigar Sunday. These will be busted out of the cardboard/plastic tomb for sure.

@1970s said:

@DrBuster said:
    I’ll probably be at the all star/Juve game. Would like to see Bayern in the US but not sure if I’ll make that one.

I guess you'll be watching the Madrid-Bayern clash. That is always great soccer.

Frustrating game for a Bayern fan, sigh. Real was playing faster and despite our almost double shots on goal we apparently got allergic to the back of their net after the first one. 2nd leg is gonna be a challenge, but we need that revenge win from last year still.

Tuesday will be a fun frustrating watch I’m sure!

Just got back from the ATL United game. Had a crew of 8 there for my nephews 13th bday, 2/3 of my brothers, wifey, niece and 2 of her friends. Total blast and we got the burrito goal, everyone can get a $3 crappy burrito tomorrow FTW!

Now, it’s chill time on the deck, gonna grill some ribeyes and have some drinks to celebrate the 4-1 win, giggidy!

The dude abides

The food looks good. :#

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its obvious the OP of this thread got bammed for even mentioning soccer , the rest of you are on thin ice

edited May 8, 2018 1:37PM

Those sweet peppers off the grill were delicious. Steak was a touch too done from the way I like it (medium) but still juicy.

Have some of my team members in town from Toronto and Warsaw for a conference we're hosting, taking them to the Atlanta United game tomorrow night. And oh, 36 days til the cup! Gotta keep the thread on topic so nobody else gets...exodused.