Home Sports Talk
Options

World Cup Soccer 2018

Comments

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Under 2 weeks!!

The Benz had the roof open for the United game last night. Was sweet but man it was sticky in there after tailgating in 90 degree heat for a few hours.

• Options

Under 72 hours, GO GERMANY!!!

• Options
    edited June 14, 2018 4:45AM

17 Mertesacker - 2010 WC
    8 Ozil - 2014 WC, long sleeve
    13 Mueller - 2016 Euro
    5 Hummels - 2018 WC
    18 Kimmich - 2018 WC

Top left green one is a 1996-98 away, no name/#.

Start day, woot!

• Options
    edited June 14, 2018 11:06AM

So, what, 3 of us might post in here, ha!

Have the Russia/Saudi Arabia game on while working. 2-0 Russia at the half, could very well have been 3, maybe 4.

Ended 5-0 for the host country kickoff game. I can't say they looked stronger than SA looking weak.

• Options

Day 2, the Spain/Portugal game is the one to watch, should be good.

Unfortunately, I had to go into the office and make an appearance this month....the struggle....

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in China. People are pretty ramped up here. Looking forward to the Portugal- Spain match and then Sunday's Germany- Mexico tilt

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Mark who are your friends there rooting for with no China in it, SK?

• Options
    edited June 15, 2018 5:43AM

@DrBuster said:

They are rooting for the US, Italy and the Dutch :D

Most like Spain and Germany. They are all about star power

FYI the personal assistant I have while I'm in NY is leaving for Russia on Sunday for the balance of the World Cup. WTF!

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2018 6:30AM

@Justacommeman said:

@DrBuster said:

Most like Spain and Germany. They are all about star power

FYI the personal assistant I have while I'm in NY is leaving for Russia on Sunday for the balance of the World Cup. WTF!

m

Ha!

Nice on your assistant! One of my teammates is over trooping around in Mongolia and Siberia for 3 weeks. Not sure if he's got a game lined up at one of the stadiums toward the east, will have to ask once he's back, forgot to before he left.

We were trying to get a work trip lined up for a game or 2 for a couple of us, denied. You'd think the marketing team I'm on now would be all about that. We sponsor all of that, sigh.

• Options

Crazy, Ronaldo hat trick and didn’t get Portugal the win. Game of the day, ridiculous.

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

That ESP/POR game was awesome. Wanted Spain but what a great game. Second goal for POR was soft, but both teams third goals were ridiculous. Gimme more matches/goals like this, please.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Yeah. A game de Gea will want to forget though....

Argentina / Iceland will be interesting. Croatia / Nigeria an excellent matchup.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

I just stumbled into this thread and WOW. I didn't realize other soccer fans existed on this site. I love it!!

If you guys need anything, I own Soccer Garage (www.soccergarage.com). Drop me a private message and I'll be happy to send you a nice coupon code that you can use on your order.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never saw that "Benz" arena before. Very impressive.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

What, more soccer fans came out of hiding? Nice!

About to head out to a viewing party for the Arg/Ice game where supposedly some Atlanta United event stuff will be going on. Will have some Iceland stuff on since we did xmas up there...although I’m guessing Messi will bring the foot of destruction out.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Never saw that "Benz" arena before. Very impressive.

That’s only the second time they had the roof open. Was supposed to have been opened for some Falcons games last year but they had some problems with the retract system.

• Options

Argentina looks like they have the weight of the world on their shoulders

m

• Options

That falls squarely on Messi

m

• Options

I’m seeing Ozil in the lineup..?

With the past 5 or so national team games I imagine they’re working on switching things up a bit. We’ll see what happens, could be a play toward/against the Mexico lineup.

• Options

First time ever Brazil, Argentina, and Germany all failed to win first matches.

Mexico brought the pressure from the get go, which has been successful against them. Germany showed much better in the 2nd, needed a shot to find the net though. We’ll see what happens with Sweden.

• Options

Results with Brazil, Argentina and Germany make those groups more interesting now. Tomorrow Belgium with my man Fellaini (aka Flufferhead).

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options

My Mexico City office is still going nuts. I’m not sure anyone is coming to work today. They sent me this last night

m

• Options

Ha!

None of my colleagues down there are online today, like none.

• Options

@DrBuster said:
    Ha!

None of my colleagues down there are online today, like none.

Exactly

m

• Options

England squeaked by Tunisia. Play that kid Rashford more.

Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options

That first match round was just head scratchable. Poland yesterday was a total surprise. And Russia first to make it to the next round, granted in a fairly soft group but still. Power of the host country there. Everyone else has some work to do.

• Options

All things considered Belgium looks like the most complete team......so far

This made me chuckle

https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-asks-girlfriend-text-him-103351618.html

m

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:

Have the Russia/Saudi Arabia game on while working. 2-0 Russia at the half, could very well have been 3, maybe 4.

Ended 5-0 for the host country kickoff game. I can't say they looked stronger than SA looking weak.

does the Saudi Arabian team still behead infidels at half time?

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@DrBuster said:

does the Saudi Arabian team still behead infidels at half time?

They’re out now, totally trump meddling with fifa and the Russians, ha!

• Options

@1970s said:
    So I wonder if some Russian fans are thinking to themselves that this will be their 1980 Lake Placid, and their team will pull off a miracle.

Ah-no. First of all Russia- you're not America. And secondly, your team is in the weakest group, and your team has zero chance.

Its odd hearing people talk about soccer like its a real sport

• Options

Messi Invisible during and after the match

Croatia owns the mid field

Zero surprise that Croatia wins

Who knew that Pitbull Managed the Argentine’s

What garbage Argentina rolled out there

m

• Options
    edited June 21, 2018 1:24PM

That was ugly....

I’m totally pulling for Iceland to advance now.

This was from Saturday at the United viewing party we hit. The coin and bill have been in my pocket since Xmas.

And a fried egg blt with Tabasco and bread and butter pickles is quite possible one of the greatest breakfast sandwiches of all times.....we won’t call it the Messi though, even though it did get my shirt...

• Options

Brazil/Costa Rica, stoppage time, unreal. Costa Rica played tough, was rooting for them.

My meeting with our Brazil dev team got moved so they could watch the game. I'm guessing they won't be getting much done today, ha!

• Options

Add Switzerland to Croatia to teams you don’t want to play in the knockout round if they push through

m

• Options

Belgium is scary good this morning.

• Options

@DrBuster said:
    Belgium is scary good this morning.

bunch of Walloons

• Options

Should be a good game, with Swedish bombshells in the stands, ha!