Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2018 Breast Cancer Awareness Commemorative (18C[E,F,G,H,J,K]) (Sales Closed)

Comments

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    As the son of a breast cancer victim, I'm in for 2 gold...cost is irrelevant.

Does the HH limit of 1 gold coin apply to each strike type...as in 1 proof AND 1 Unc (or 2 gold coins total)? Or a total of 1 for either proof OR Unc?

The Mint will graciously allow you to buy one of each on the first day of sale.

My guess is, the day after that, you'll be able to buy the other 45,000 that'll be left.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    I don't really like money, so i'm going to order them all on the first day of sale and sell them all one year later for 30 percent less

Not a good plan IMHO. Consider a give away. Surely you will be loved and happy afterwards . Especially by the lucky recipients of your extreme generosity .

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh give me a home where the butterfly roam.....no, that's not it.
    Oh give me a home where Jim Thorpe roams.....no, that's not it.
    Oh give me a home where the Buffalo roam, that's better.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nostradamus' lost predictions.....
    The Butterfly is going to be so popular that the mint will be replacing all future Eagles on coins for Butterflies.
    The Butterfly has landed.
    American Butterfly.
    Fly like a Butterfly.
    Ever see Butter fly?
    And the new pink gold will be embraced by so many that the current gold coins will be replaced for the new blend.
    Pink Buffalo.
    Pink Native American.
    Pink Pennies.
    What will next years surprises be? Ugh...

• Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

I don't hate the design, and I don't love it, either. The butterfly is nice, but to reiterate other posts, they need to turn these coin designs over to individual artists and give them more control. Almost any artistic work by committee is doomed to fail. As for the pink, well I do like that. Am I buyer? Probably not, but am still on the fence.

Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2018 11:06AM

The sloppy, low-angle die cutting really degrades the design. Mushy and blurred details. didn't the production people learn anything from initial mistakes on the 2016 gold dime, and improvements for the gold quarter and half?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

By the way, what is with the increasingly prominent designer initials on these commems? It used to be they'd try to hide them along the base of a design element. Now, they put them all alone in the fields. I think it detracts. [IMHO]

• Options
    thevolcanogodthevolcanogod Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

In-a-godda-da-vida baby, don’t you know that I’ll always be true..

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just do see any semblance for the butterfly. Do they have breasts?
    Can't wait for the testicular cancer aware coin, maybe a dolphin?

bob :(

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still in,
    One Unc Silver $
    Two Unc 1/2
    One Proof 1/2

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2018 7:18PM

I've been attending Mint-Issue Anonymous meetings faithfully, and can honestly say I've never been happier.

• Options

How pink can you go?

PCGS goes pink...

Highlights:

PCGS First Strike™ BCRF pink label
    Pink coin gasket – available to Collectors Club Members for the first time.

I can't wait. Oh, that's right, I'm not buying this coin. So I guess I can wait.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

When do they announce (rose)gold prices? Anyone have an educated guess?

• Options
    cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    As the son of a breast cancer victim, I'm in for 2 gold...cost is irrelevant.

Does the HH limit of 1 gold coin apply to each strike type...as in 1 proof AND 1 Unc (or 2 gold coins total)? Or a total of 1 for either proof OR Unc?

1 of each

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wrong pink again
    :(

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Is this new colored gasket creating a new type of collectible holder or just a new variety?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

No interest at all.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Any chance AA will ever get a Coin ? A big Pink Elephant would be cool with that group.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like that slab from PCGS. Still doesn’t make the coin look good.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of each gold for me.

Zero expectation of appreciation. Just cause I like the pink gold and, more importantly, the cause.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2018 12:04AM

@Goldbully said:

According to the Federal Register, it's already listed in the PM pricing tables.

If gold spot remains in the $1300-1349 range, the proof will be $436, the uncirc $426.

Higher price, less gold... But it's pink!

EDIT: There may be an introductory $5 discount for the first 30 days, so it'll be $431/$421

• Options

They've released the label info ATS:

NGC Special Label for Breast Cancer Awareness Coins

You can go pink,

Or you can go full pink!

Ahhhh! Hurts the eyes!

At least they'll be easy to pick out in a stack of slabs...

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Goldbully said:

According to the Federal Register, it's already listed in the PM pricing tables.

If gold spot remains in the $1300-1349 range, the proof will be $436, the uncirc $426.

EDIT: There may be an introductory $5 discount for the first 30 days, so it'll be $431/$421

Price guide states: "*an additional $5 introductory discount effective", so I think you may need to edit your EDIT ;-)

• Options

@nurmaler said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Goldbully said:

Price guide states: "*an additional $5 introductory discount effective", so I think you may need to edit your EDIT ;-)

Sorry, another thread crushed my notifications and didn't see this.

The pricing grid should actually say, "an additional $5 introductory discount effective first month on sale."

At least it has on every pricing grid they've put out prior to 2018. What looks like happened was the removal of the gold spouse and centennial coins made the table narrower and truncated the notation.

I sent some mail off to the mint, let's see if they fix it. :D

• Options

Yep, it's official, Mint has posted the price for the gold commems.

Introductory price for the next 30 days:

Proof: $431
    Uncirculated: $421

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

should be able to buy a pcgs pr-70 dcam example within 6 months for 380

• Options
    edited March 14, 2018 3:01PM

Mint sell price: $421

Gold = $1,325/oz.

28 grams/oz.

$47.32/gram

85% x 7.931 grams = 6.74

6.74 grams x 47.32 = $319

Is this about right for gold content on this commemorative?

Is it proportionately priced compared to the AGE's minus the contribution to Breast Cancer Charity?

• Options

@Goldbully said:

Gold = $1,325/oz.

28 grams/oz.

$47.32/gram

85% x 7.931 grams = 6.74

Is it proportionately priced compared to the AGE's minus the contribution to Breast Cancer Charity?

A normal gold commem is 90%, weight 8.359, or 7.5g gold. So the pink commem is low in gold weight. But it has a $5 discount bonus for the first 30 days.

A $5 gold piece is 1/4oz, or 7.775g.

(BTW, not to be critical, but there are 31.1 g in a troy ounce. You're using avoirdupois.... ;) )

• Options

A $5 gold piece is less than 1/4oz

A $20 DE is .9675 toz of gold and weighs 1.075 toz.

• Options

And the pricing grid may answer your value question.

I'm going to wild guess the pricing is quite similar.

Let me take a look now.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m getting the UN Gold and the Proof Silver. Have a feeling the black background will lead to possible low grades. But I might be wrong.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

The bg won't be black

That is just how the lighting shows the fields.

• Options

The 2017 grid:
    https://catalog.usmint.gov/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-usm-site-catalog-us/default/dw1c78698f/images/PDFs/2017-Pricing-Grid-Numismatic-Gold-and-Platinum.pdf

What is the actual dollar value of the missing gold and is there additional cost for the special alloy?

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

Gold = $1,325/oz.

28 grams/oz.

$47.32/gram

85% x 7.931 grams = 6.74

31.1 grams in a ozT not 28. so $42.60/g, 6.74x42.60 = $287.15

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited March 14, 2018 4:53PM

I still have 10 Sealed Unopened Mercury 1/10 oz Gold Tributes stored away. Haven't thought about them much in the time I've had them. For me, buying Coins from the Mint is like tossing a good part of my pay check. So I buy I lock them up then forget about them.

If the Coins would increase in value it wouldn't be such a bad move. But when things decrease in value over the years?

Maybe I need to come up with a new way to burn my time and money? Guess I have no need for Pink Coins fresh from the Mint.

PS - I've still not even seen a Mercury Tribute Coin. Just Brown Shipping Boxes.

• Options
    SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Oddly enough these are being advertised tonight (3/14 8pmEST) on HSN “Coin Collector”, he even said they don’t officially get released until tomorrow.

• Options

Sadly enough...

How can they sleep selling these with their markup?

• Options
    edited March 14, 2018 5:44PM

@SeatedToners said:
    Oddly enough these are being advertised tonight (3/14 8pmEST) on HSN “Coin Collector”, he even said they don’t officially get released until tomorrow.

https://www.hsn.com/products/2018-pr70-fdoi-limited-edition-breast-cancer-awareness-/8687817?query=8687817&isSuggested=true

Only $900......thank you, HSN.

• Options
    SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    Sadly enough...

How can they sleep selling these with their markup?

I have no idea how they can sleep at night. The first item they advertised was the last 20 years of Indian Head Cents for $100. They were all in circ condition and no S mint coins for 08 and 09.

• Options
    edited March 15, 2018 5:52AM

How can HSN be selling $5 BCAC gold when the Mint has not sold one coin, not to mention ANACS 70? Can HSN buy more than the HH limit? Suppose there are no 70's. :p

• Options

No one?

Bueller? Bueller?

• Options
  • Options

Everyone must be holding out until Friday for the surprise lifting of the HHL . Why pay for a separate shipping charge today when tomorrow you can get 20 Coins shipped for the same money ?

Total sellout tomorrow?

• Options

Talked to a Mint Rep, she said the coins sold today will ship soon. The coins sold after today will ship in June...... ;)

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    Talked to a Mint Rep, she said the coins sold today will ship soon. The coins sold after today will ship in June...... ;)

That makes no sense. Why?

• Options

Wouldn't it be a gass if the Mint pulled something totally weird out of their trickbag? Like tomorrow they totally dump on the TV Pushers the entire inventory at a big discount? The 288 Buyers today would be in a select group.

• Options

@Goldbully said:

@Bullsitter said:

That makes no sense. Why?

Who knows, you know how those Mint Reps are. I called again and this rep knew nothing about June shipments.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file