Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CLCT stock $15.51, is at a 52 week low

124»

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaleElf said:
    Idea... how about PCGS adopt a new grading system that will help drive regrade revenues and subsequent profits?

They are having enough problems handeling the business they have now

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm curious if there is any way to know how NGC is doing financially in comparison? Were they smarter not to go the publicly traded corporate stock option? There are a lot of companies that don't improve when they offer their stock in an ipo.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

NGC is grading just as many coins, their parent company grades just as many other things, they have multiple partners of significance in numismatics (HA, ANA, etc.), and they don't answer to share holders or have to pay out dividends. Whom do you think is better suited to move forward in a positive way during hard times?

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    I'm curious if there is any way to know how NGC is doing financially in comparison? Were they smarter not to go the publicly traded corporate stock option? There are a lot of companies that don't improve when they offer their stock in an ipo.

Financials for NGC are not available of course. I currently work for a privately held corporation and very little is released even to employees. Every time this comes up it leads to many question marks and few answers. :(

@spacehayduke said:
    NGC is grading just as many coins, their parent company grades just as many other things, they have multiple partners of significance in numismatics (HA, ANA, etc.), and they don't answer to share holders or have to pay out dividends. Whom do you think is better suited to move forward in a positive way during hard times?

Best, SH

Very good points spacehayduke.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2018 1:05PM

@VanHalen said:

@logger7 said:

Financials for NGC are not available of course. I currently work for a privately held corporation and very little is released even to employees. Every time this comes up it leads to many question marks and few answers. :(

@spacehayduke said:

Best, SH

,> @spacehayduke said:

Best, SH

Really? Most, if not all are paid a substantial fee by NGC for that "privilege."

(Money talks bs....etc)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@VanHalen said:

@logger7 said:

,> @spacehayduke said:

Best, SH

Really? Most, if not all are paid a substantial fee by NGC for that "privilege."

(Money talks bs....etc)

Whether NGC does or does not pay a fee for some of their partnerships is not the point, they exist, and it is good for them. You saying PCGS does not pay substantial fees for their partnerships? And you have the documented info on all of this?

Yup keep drinkin' the .......

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:

@OPA said:

@VanHalen said:

@logger7 said:

,> @spacehayduke said:

Best, SH

(Money talks bs....etc)

Whether NGC does or does not pay a fee for some of their partnerships is not the point, they exist, and it is good for them. You saying PCGS does not pay substantial fees for their partnerships? And you have the documented info on all of this?

Yup keep drinkin' the .......

Best, SH

The fees paid by NGC are of public record with some of your mentioned organizations. Also, Google is your best friend. I'm not aware of any substantial numismatic related fee that PCGS is obligated to.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

Hit a new 52 week low again.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinCrazyPA said:
    Hit a new 52 week low again.

$14.23 intra day & 52 week low 3/2/18.

• Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

I would imagine most people were in the stock for the dividend. With the dividend cut and a raising interest rate cycle, the pressure to the downside will continue.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

BST

That's about all I can add.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HighRelief said:
    The US Mint is keeping CLCT stock afloat with the modern stuff.

Or CLCT is keeping the government in business. I guess it's a matter of who sees what, and how.

• Options
    SilverBlindSilverBlind Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@291fifth said:

@stevek said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@stevek said:

The bounce in CLCT isn't a "dead cat bounce", it's not a Sears situation, Collectors Universe is still the best grading choice for coins and cards, and that has a lot of value.

How can you say that it is not a Sears situation? IMHO, it is worse than Sears. Most of the classic coins (the real meat of the coin market) that are slabable are already graded. Grade inflation, plus grades, and other cute enhancements can generate revenue for a short period of time, but it won’t create sustainable revenue long term.

Simply stated, it's not a Sears situation because Sears who used to be #1, has dropped to I'm not sure what level in the retail product marketplace, overwhelmed by Amazon and even other brick and mortar stores. Collectors Universe has no intractable competition such as that.

I'm not familiar with the management of Collector's Universe. However i do know that CU has been the #1 grading company of coins and cards for a good long number of years, and they still are. Any company managed like that, with no discernible stiff competition out there in the foreseeable future, in my view will find ways to continue to stay #1 and grow from there.

... and just how is it going to grow?

To be straight with ya...those management folks at CU are a lot smarter than us I'm sure, and I think they will find a way to grow based on their successful past performance.

Look, if they fail to do that, then the stock will continue to decline. That's what picking the right stocks is all about, good product and good management. Good management includes reinventing a company and finding new and improved ways to make money when necessary.

Necessity is the mother of invention. In my opinion, the management of CU will find another grading "necessity" out there or something else which will make the stock a good long term buy.

Probably start grading the plethora of VHS tapes and Cd's covering he globe. Mommy, all I want for Christmas is Barney and Friends season 3 in VHS format graded PEGS 10

BST References] oilstates2003, GoldCoin98, COINS MAKE CENTS, SurfinxHI, mbogoman, detroitfan2,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file