Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just got the results back from PCGS on a 20 coin submission.

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't usually send this many in at one time, but wanted to see how the grading would go. These were all (except 1) varieties, but only 4 were varieties that PCGS recognized. The others are CONECA varieties. Out of the 20 .... 18 straight graded and the 2 that didn't I was pretty sure were cleaned in the past, but I wanted them in holders because of the variety and wanted to be able to add them to my Showcase of Dime varieties. I will do threads on these as time permits. They all were TrueViewed so there will be pics of all 20 coins.

I will start with the only one that is not a variety. This is a 1936-D that I bought raw on ebay in the later part of last year. I did a guess the grade back then, but I can not find this thread using a search. Most of the guesses were 65-66FB. Well it graded 64FB. Here is the TV. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018 8:54AM

Nice dime for the Type, as well as the others too! Thank you for sharing Jon!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a scratch is in her hair. Did this hold it back?

Hope you did better on grades than I did. I really got hammered on a couple of coins.

Ken

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@Fairlaneman said:
    Looks like a scratch is in her hair. Did this hold it back?

Hope you did better on grades than I did. I really got hammered on a couple of coins.

Ken

Ken as you know I have looked at a lot of Mercury Dimes and I don't see why this is not a 66.....65 at WORST! I think I will call them on this one.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

from the t.v., that is a real looker.

some jaw contact but nothing holding it back based on the plethora of 66/67s in pcgs holders i've seen. :)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good grief! Just taking it out of the die shouldn't penalize the grade.
    I know it does, but it's kinda ridiculous.

I like it.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a beautiful coin and my first impression was MS65/66FB and if I had to attach my guess to a single grade I would have gone with MS66FB. Upon looking at the coin more closely I can see what is an apparently long and perhaps obvious (in-hand) scrape within the back portion of Liberty's hair bun. Otherwise, the little bit of chatter in the fields does not bother me at all.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... that Merc is a 66 if ever I saw one...Jon, you need to have that reconsidered...Let us know... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dimeman thank you for sharing. I myself have 15 Civil war coins in for grading. Just wondering how long it took them to do all 20. How many days did it take to get all 20 graded from the time they got it registered.

Mine have only been in there for 20 days so far.

Thank you

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

They were tough on that dime. It's a real beauty!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice dime i like :)

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018 12:31PM

That deserved a 65.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! I looked through the other cert numbers and it looks good. Did you submit these at FUN? If som that gives me a little hope. I submitted at FUN and today is business day 32 since the items were entered into their system.

It used to take 30+ days for economy plus variety but now just economy is estimated at 39 business days....doubling of the 20 business days that it used to be....and it is more expensive. Lol

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see enough chatter to warrant the grade.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 36-D is still real nice!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

As much as I love my buffalo series every time I look at your dimes I feel I should also be collecting Mercs . Jon, you have an eye that is very well refined to locate these over the top beautiful pieces.
    Congratulations on another gorgeous piece my man. Well done, again :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@keyman64 said:
    Congrats! I looked through the other cert numbers and it looks good. Did you submit these at FUN? If som that gives me a little hope. I submitted at FUN and today is business day 32 since the items were entered into their system.

It used to take 30+ days for economy plus variety but now just economy is estimated at 39 business days....doubling of the 20 business days that it used to be....and it is more expensive. Lol

I submitted these before FUN....they entered the system Jan 2, 2018.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:

Come on man....what chatter???

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

They were too tough on it.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is quite a bit in the Reverse right hand field. These are little coins...size up the marks in comparison to a Morgan Dollar!

@DIMEMAN said:

@amwldcoin said:

Come on man....what chatter???

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a gem to me. Nice & lustrous, fully struck, plenty of eye appeal..... There are the issues of a bit of obverse and reverse light field chatter, but they're aren't distracting. Something we can't see in a photo maybe? A few hairlines or a rim issue?

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a lovely coin. I would have graded it 65FB. So with the grades the way they are lately, 64FB does not surprise me.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

I for one would like to see the entire submission.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just submit for regrade. Your coin is not a 64 and looks more like a 66 to me.

OINK

• Options

@Stooge said:

Paul here are the cert numbers 34933513 thru 32. The last one may not have a pic yet. I will do threads on them later, but it may be a while.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the 65 camp. There's a few hits on the obverse but the reverse is clean. I would give it a "+" because it's a real looker. Nice!

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@keyman64 said:

I submitted these before FUN....they entered the system Jan 2, 2018.

Great, if that holds, it will be a full 40 Business Days for an Economy submission which means I have about 9 more business days to go. Ugh, pay more than the last time I did a submission and get it finished in DOUBLE the amount of time.

Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

@Stooge said:

And you can, just like I did. Go to the PCGS cert page, pull up a cert, know what he collects and then adjust the url by one digit...go above and below the cert number shown until you see all 20. Pretty simple.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the coin in the OP definitely got net graded down otherwise it should be a 66FB. In the other thread/picture on this coin, it looks like there is a staple scratch running from the neck to the hair. It is definitely hidden in the TruView. Not sure if it was warranted or not, but think that is what caused the 64FB

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2018 2:45PM

That looks more like a strike through.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

I sure didn't see it as a scratch in hand before I sent it in. I ask for a re-look on it so we will see what happens. I know there is no way to get a 2 point bump, but a 65FB sure would be nice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file