Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just got this outstanding Mercury Dime on Ebay.......Received coin in hand!!! see last post of mine,

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 6, 2017 9:11AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This is a very nice raw 1936-D that I won on Ebay last night. The is a much better date and is a monster strike. The bands are not only split, but are actually rounded. I haven't got it in hand yet and I don't usually buy raw Mercs unless they are a variety. Anyway if it 63FB's I will make some money. My guess by the pic is a solid 65FB and a 66FB would not surprise me. I can't wait to get this puppy graded. Thanks for looking and giving your opinion in advance.

Comments

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

Nice pick-up. Keep us informed.

Paul
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! Not knowing Mercs too well, how does that mark on the neck affect the grade?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one!

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are the lines on the neck incused or raised? Obviously, will not be sure until coin inhand. If not scratched I would feel 66FB would be my guess. Also it appears there to be a mark on the front of the bust. not sure what that is also. Pics are so hard to be correct at grading from. Regardless a beautiful coin, dm.
    jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

If great luster, 65 FSB.

If so-so, 64 FSB.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

@ChrisH821 said:
    Nice! Not knowing Mercs too well, how does that mark on the neck affect the grade?

I won't know till in hand. I think and hope the line on the neck is like a glaze and not a scratch. If so it should 66FB. When I get in hand I will comment on this.

• Options

@Lakesammman said:
    If great luster, 65 FSB.

If so-so, 64 FSB.

I'm thinking (going by pic and what this sellers coins look like compared to pic) that this coin will have booming luster.

No mater what happens I love the coin so far.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pickup! 'er that is if it's not a stock pic!!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@AUandAG said:
    Great pickup! 'er that is if it's not a stock pic!!

bob :)

If it's a stock pic it's going back! ;)

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a fine looking dime...I mean good looking...what I am trying to say is that is a really nice toner!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can certainly see this as a 65FB with a good shot at 66FB. Nice pick up!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is a real beauty Jon.... If accurately depicted, then you have a winner there...please let us know when you get it....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous luster.

CCAC Representative of the General Public
    Columnist for The Numismatist
    2021 Young Numismatist of the Year

• Options
    Danye WestDanye West Posts: 193 ✭✭✭

I wouldn't be surprised at a 66FB. That coin is hammered.

I could make a birth year registry set out of pocket change.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

probably a full band, but...

how do you GTG when the coin is raw?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt said:
    probably a full band, but...

how do you GTG when the coin is raw?

I guess it is a Guess what it will grade......GWIWG.

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

66fb

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has a shot at 66FB. Good luck and nice looking mercury.

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clearly GEM, but do not grade enough in the series to tell you more than that.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the pic I would say 65+FB

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seller is to be commended on superb photography and glad Dimeman won it.

• Options

I got this coin in the mail today and can only say WOW. It's actually better than the pic. It's blast white except for the cresent tone 3-6 O'Clock. It should 66 or even possible 67. I have compared it to some of my 67's and it is as nice. It has the flash PCGS likes for 67 and is mark free. It will be going in soon. :)

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    travlntiquestravlntiques Posts: 46 ✭✭✭

A very nice coin indeed! Getting raw examples in such condition is really getting harder

"Character is doing the right thing when no one is watching". - J.C. Watts
    sarasotanumismatics.com
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pickup! Can't wait to see the final grade. :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can probably thank all those who refuse to buy on ebay.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options

@derryb said:
    You can probably thank all those who refuse to buy on ebay.

There is a whole lotta crap out there, but there is some nice coins also.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay sucks. So do you.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had it at 66FB from the images. Hope you get a 67. Pretty coin.

Larry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file