Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1926S Mercury Dime. Just back from PCGS. What do you see.

FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you see or think about this dime? Please comment. Click on the pictures to make them bigger.

Ken

Comments

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

PVC?

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

Struck thru on obverse?

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doubled date ?

• Options

So far none of the above pertain to the coin.

Ken

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Re-engraved center bands?

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

obverse - cheek and in front of eye/nose/mouth the flow lines are wrong -> whizzed

• Options

Lets get a few more answers/ideas and then I will come back and tell what is going on with this dime.

Ken

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another vote for Re-engraved and wizzed

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure looks double date to me, although you mentioned that's not it.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lite corrosion running from the "I" in DIME to the fasces.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Full bands yet major weakness in the hair. Re-engraved bands?

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tooled/Altered Surfaces.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    Full bands yet major weakness in the hair. Re-engraved bands?

top and bottom bands looked tooled, but the ones in the middle that count could be legit.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about re-engraved obverse around the feathers in the cap? Rest of the strike is too soft.

• Options
    bronze6827bronze6827 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Holy crap I see it - it's a Mercury Dime!

Actually, I see something that has been struck-over - almost like it was never ejected, but rotated or flipped. Almost certainly not that though, it would have far more remnants. The lines run from the cheek, out the chin, and around the motto, then horizontal through the neck. Reverse looks fairly normal besides the crisp torch lines.

It doesn't feel like a strike-through to me. Perhaps struck over some other denomination? Something Philipino?

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronze6827 said:

Actually, I see something that has been struck-over - almost like it was never ejected, but rotated or flipped. Almost certainly not that though, it would have far more remnants. The lines run from the cheek, out the chin, and around the motto, then horizontal through the neck. Reverse looks fairly normal besides the crisp torch lines.

It doesn't feel like a strike-through to me. Perhaps struck over some other denomination? Something Philipino?

I’ll have what he is drinking

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:

@bronze6827 said:

I’ll have what he is drinking

Me too!

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Basically what happened on this one it was struck with a generous dab of lard that had inadvertently fallen on the die during pressing. They were able to separate out the worst examples but this one snuck through! You can see this if you rotate the coin in halogen light, the radial lines as well as silver striations were disrupted.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hub doubled obverse. It's most apparent on the central obverse and designer's initials, and GOD.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

The close up of the obverse shows whorls in the fields, consistent with whizzing as some have noted. The close up of the bands show razor thin divides that are not perfectly straight, consistent with re-engraving as some have noted. Any other issues?

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see 62FB unless it got bagged for PVC

• Options

Actually, it would not be in a holder if it had PVC - so my guess is it graded low MS

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok Ken, out with it. Past my bedtime.

• Options
    davids5104davids5104 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with the bands being too sharp for the grade.

[Ebay Store - Come Visit]

Roosevelt Registry

transactions with cucamongacoin, FHC, mtinis, bigjpst, Rob41281, toyz4geo, erwindoc, add your name here!!!

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

Added S?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'm in the whizzed camp (from the images)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    edited February 26, 2018 8:37PM

@CaptHenway said:
    Added S?

Would not be in a holder with an added S (unless PCGS missed it). Forgot that is a key date! Maybe got a 58 due to some rub.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

She's sportin a beard so some form of strike thru?

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Added S?

I have a question on this note! With no disrespect to our host. If they grade as fast as I have heard......literly seconds. I think it would be very easy to miss such things as this. Just saying.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the bands have been recut and the coin has been buffed to hide the alteration. The lighting makes it look whizzed.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@CaptHenway said:
    Added S?

I have a question on this note! With no disrespect to our host. If they grade as fast as I have heard......literly seconds. I think it would be very easy to miss such things as this. Just saying.

No disrespect to anyone posting: This coin would look "altered surface" the second the grader started to remove it from the flip! Next, the reengraved bands would pop out as this is a perfect example of a very amateurish and crappy alteration.

I can assure you with 100% certainty that there is not a professional grader at any major TPGS (and I'll include SEGS in this comment) that would miss this alteration. :)

• Options
    edited February 26, 2018 9:41PM

@erwindoc said:
    How about re-engraved obverse around the feathers in the cap? Rest of the strike is too soft.

This is possible but the whizzing could cause what you see. With just an image, it is best to compare the head details with a genuine coin to rule out or confirm what you see.

PS The important lesson from this coin is to look how strong and deep the bands are (they really screwed up the ones at the top) and the nick into the right field next to the band line where the tool went too far!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

The important lesson from this coin is to look how strong and deep the bands are (they really screwed up the ones at the top) and the nick into the right field next to the band line where the tool went too far!

Oh...ok..Now I see the tooling. Man your good, real good.....thanks for the lesson.

Jim

• Options

@Insider2 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@CaptHenway said:
    Added S?

No disrespect to anyone posting: This coin would look "altered surface" the second the grader started to remove it from the flip! Next, the reengraved bands would pop out as this is a perfect example of a very amateurish and crappy alteration.

I can assure you with 100% certainty that there is not a professional grader at any major TPGS (and I'll include SEGS in this comment) that would miss this alteration. :)

But the recut bands are so obvious that one must wonder what else the TPG might have missed, if this piece was indeed slabbed by a TPG

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    But the recut bands are so obvious that one must wonder what else the TPG might have missed, if this piece was indeed slabbed by a TPG

good point. this could just be in the inner rubber ring out of a holder.

i see the obvious band alteration(s) now that others mentioned it.

can't imagine having to be on my A game all day looking for things like this. i could see it getting easier the more i look at but simultaneously i can see becoming a bit desensitized to the minor alterations as well.

good thread.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

Just wanted to get this coin into a genuine slab. I knew it had been smoothed/whizzed and had recut/tooled bands. Someone sure goofed up a nice key date Mercury Dime.

Ken

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow...such a shame....and not a real good job either. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Too bad - would have been an eye appealing AU58!

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting!

• Options

@Fairlaneman said:
    Just wanted to get this coin into a genuine slab. I knew it had been smoothed/whizzed and had recut/tooled bands. Someone sure goofed up a nice key date Mercury Dime.

Ken

This is why I suggested checking the Mint mark. Cheaper to mess up a 26-P. Check the edge near the Mint mark for evidence of a filled in embossing hole.

• Options

Curious, has anyone seen an embossed mint mark on a dime? Buffalo nickels and Morgan dollars is all I've seen. Any Peace dollars?

• Options

I have not, but I never say never!

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    PS The important lesson from this coin is to look how strong and deep the bands are (they really screwed up the ones at the top) and the nick into the right field next to the band line where the tool went too far!

Looks like the two hits inside the axe loop to the left of the top bands are also from the recutting tool. Great catch on the extraneous marks.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WoodenJefferson said:
    Re-engraved center bands?

BINGO

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reverse horizontal bands altered. Obverse altered - not esp. at nose and chin. Other problems.

Not gradable and has been rendered nearly worthless. Sad.

• Options
    bronze6827bronze6827 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Label and thread mystery aside...

This is what I was describing earlier. These lines stood out to me the instant I first looked at the picture. WHAT ARE THESE LINES?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file