Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1921 Morgan Dollar - mint mark error?

Hello,

I am new to coin collecting and have a 1921 Morgan with a "s" close to the top of the face. I am curious if this is a possible mint error or something else? Included below are pictures of the coin and hope someone will be able to shed light on this coin.
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

First thought was a dropped letter. But, I see it's a Philly coin so the S mint mark is not an option. Does not match any other S on the coin so that first idea is a no go. Must be post mint damage.

bob :)

Or, maybe a new mint mark position??? lol

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it pressed into the coin's surface?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    eddiebeddieb Posts: 6
    edited February 12, 2018 3:24PM

Hi @ChrisH821 - Yes its pressed into the coin.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see the "S", but it does not look like a 'dropped letter' error;

Also, there is nothing on the coin that has that size and shape S
    mintmark on it - it looks like someone punched the 'S' onto your coin.

Your coin was minted in Philadelphia (no mintmark on reverse above the DO)

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    eddiebeddieb Posts: 6
    edited February 12, 2018 3:24PM

@AUandAG and @FredWeinberg... Thanks for your info. Based on what you are saying...looks like I had a nice coin at one point, until some idiot stamped a letter "s" on it, making the coin less valuable.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Counterstamp. No known (to me) meaning,. Perhaps this was someone's way of marking their hoard?

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say it's a $5-$8 negative on your coin.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@eddieb....Welcome aboard... Yes, it looks like you have a counter stamped coin... This would be classified as post mint damage (PMD)... Fred Weinberg is the expert on coin errors, so you can take his input as rock solid. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might even be an S/S in the magnified image!

• Options

@ricko said:
    @eddieb....Welcome aboard... Yes, it looks like you have a counter stamped coin... This would be classified as post mint damage (PMD)... Fred Weinberg is the expert on coin errors, so you can take his input as rock solid. Cheers, RickO

Thanks for the welcome! I will definitely take Fred's opinion on the coin. Thanks again everyone for chiming in. Looking forward to discovering more in the forum.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least it has some silver in it

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought at first it resembled an extra hair curl.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file