Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I’ve been asking people “What’s on the back of the dime’

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

...and so far, by count, 26 of 26 do not know. This includes every store cashier I’ve used, and the guy behind me in line.

Comments

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

The snarky answer would be "the words one dime" or "United States of America". But of course you mean the torch.

Is it that people don't remember anything about the reverse or that they don't recognize it as a torch? Probably the former.

My guess is you'd get the same answer asking about the nickel (putting aside the Westward Journey ones). And if you told them it was Monticello few could say what Monticello is.
    Lance.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know whose picture is on the Kennedy half but I know he was killed in a theater ... or was it a warehouse?

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Lincoln ....

Hey...EOC....is that a true error or did someone do that PMD???

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought it was the symbol of the fascist movement, or was that the Mercury dime?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    I thought it was the symbol of the fascist movement, or was that the Mercury dime?

That was on the Mercury Dime which is actually a Winged Liberty Head Dime.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think more than 5 in 100 people could name the person on the obverse of the dime.
    Or any coin for that matter......besides the cent....not even sure about that though.

• Options

.... maybe I’ll start spending washers.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    He77, I've asked people "Whose picture is on the Kennedy half dollar" and they did not know...........

Everyone know's it's Martin Sheen!!! At least a Goonies fan knows. :)

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

On the reverse of a Mercury dime, a bear is crossing over a wooden bridge.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    It's a true error coin. It is a struck dime that got into the cent press and was struck a second time with Cent dies. Called a double denomination or an Eleven Cent Piece.

Now that is neat!

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

How many people know the name of the song that includes those words "from sea to shining sea" either? :o Furthermore, even if some people WERE able to identify the item on the reverse of the Roosie dime (sorry for giving away the answer to the earlier "obverse" question ;) ...... ) , how many of them do you think would get the meaning or significance of it, or its/his ties to the "March of Dimes" as well? Sobering thought, unfortunately. If it doesn't relate to one of the Kardashians or Meek Mill, etc, many of our youth are clueless.........

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2018 2:08PM

Not really depressing all. Kids today have different skills. They can do amazing things on the computer. Their vocabulary from using the internet and gaming is vast. Knowing who the first president is not as important as knowing technology.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:
    I don't think more than 5 in 100 people could name the person on the obverse of the dime.
    Or any coin for that matter......besides the cent....not even sure about that though.

It's Harry Anslinger, right?

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ambro51 said:
    ...and so far, by count, 26 of 26 do not know. This includes every store cashier I’ve used, and the guy behind me in line.

Well, it is just too hard to tell what Joseph Stalin had in mind when he designed that dime and put his initials on the front.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options

Who was the first American President, why, John Hanson, of course!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ambro51 said:
    Who was the first American President, why, John Hanson, of course!

Yup. There were 12 Presidents of the United States under the Articles of Confederation.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

Useless information sitting on a shelf alongside the fact the first conventional auto built was the 1875 Marcus

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2018 6:34PM

It is a difficult question. Here's my answer. Tell me if I'm right or wrong. It's a "FASCIS." My spelling from here on out is questionable. BUT, from my reading of Gibbons, "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire," I'll give it my best shot. The vertical lines are "sticks." They represent the various Roman tribes around 200 B.C. The band's around the sticks represent that which holds the tribes together. The sticks and bands all encompass an axe, which represents war or strength. The same as the Eagles claw holding arrows does on American coins. The interesting thing , to me at least, is that it is the symbol of FASCISM. Interesting that it would be associated with F.D.R. on the obverse. Then again, maybe not. Something to think about.

"WHAT'S GOOD FOR GENERAL MOTORS IS GOOD FOR THE UNITED STATES."

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2018 6:19PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Not really depressing all. Kids today have different skills. They can do amazing things on the computer. Their vocabulary from using the internet and gaming is vast. Knowing who the first president is not as important as knowing technology.

I don’t mean this in a snarky way, but I didn’t know that gaming was a valued skill set. Someone close to my family is a teacher. She tells me that even the smart kids lack literacy skills and cannot write a coherent essay without emojis and text lingo. It is sad. In my state, they don’t even teach cursive writing anymore! I know of young adults who cannot sign in cursive. This country is completely screwed.

• Options
    edited February 10, 2018 7:22PM

How is cursive writing a skill? Where are the cursive keys on my keyboard or smartphone? Cursive really makes no sense in todays world. Your last sentence makes no sense.

Last summer my family was camping and out came a chessboard. My 10 year old wanted to play chess and I asked, "How do you know how to play chess", he answered, " I played it in a game on the internet". I was blown away.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    How is cursive writing a skill? Where are the cursive keys on my keyboard or smartphone? Cursive really makes no sense in todays world.

It's gotten to the point that people who need it pay for it, for wedding invitations and the like. It's more of a luxury than a necessity now.

Last summer my family was camping and out came a chessboard. My 10 year old wanted to play chess and I asked, "How do you know how to play chess", he answered, " I played it in a game on the internet". I was blown away.

He may be better than many people that learn to play on a physical board too.

• Options

I think this thread is setting a new standard for “going off topic”.

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2018 7:49PM

@ambro51 said:

Fair enough; I’m sorry for participating in the diversion.

With regards to your post, I’m not surprised that people do not pay attention to their pocket change. If they did, I don’t think foreign coinage would circulate as frequently as it does.

• Options

This is a good thread. Lots of opinions. My take is that as a group, coin collectors are an intelligent and thinking crowd. No surprise. Coins aren't everything. You guys ROCK!

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    It is a difficult question. Here's my answer. Tell me if I'm right or wrong. It's a "FASCIS." My spelling from here on out is questionable. BUT, from my reading of Gibbons, "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire," I'll give it my best shot. The vertical lines are "sticks." They represent the various Roman tribes around 200 B.C. The band's around the sticks represent that which holds the tribes together. The sticks and bands all encompass an axe, which represents war or strength. The same as the Eagles claw holding arrows does on American coins. The interesting thing , to me at least, is that it is the symbol of FASCISM. Interesting that it would be associated with F.D.R. on the obverse. Then again, maybe not. Something to think about.

"WHAT'S GOOD FOR GENERAL MOTORS IS GOOD FOR THE UNITED STATES."

Great answer...for the Mercury dime reverse. "Fasces", I think.
    Lance.

• Options

@ambro51 said:

So what?

• Options
    edited February 10, 2018 8:40PM

back on topic .... what's on the front of a dime .....

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

“What’s on the back of the dime"

I would have said full bands or not full bands. :)

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure where the torch came from on the Roosevelt dime, but I seen the Bronze Fasces in the House of Representatives chambers.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The level of general knowledge, as it applies to history, geography, or civil matters, among young people today is almost non-existent. Now, if you ask about celebrities, movies or social media, they will expound for hours...History says nations rarely last more than 200-300 years... and we can see the demise of the United States in the vacant stares of so much of our young. That being said, there is also a sizeable segment of young people who, through parenting or some other influence, that still give me hope. When I was working, we - the Senior Staff - would yearly sponsor a scholarship for children of our employees (so would our parent company). When the winners were brought in to meet us, I was amazed at these young people, what they did, the grades they achieved and their communication skills. That yearly experience always restored - in some measure - my hope for the future. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited February 11, 2018 9:06AM

@cameonut2011 said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    How is cursive writing a skill? Where are the cursive keys on my keyboard or smartphone? Cursive really makes no sense in todays world.

Being able to sign your name on legal documents is indeed a basic literacy skill. So is the ability to print and write generally. There are no keys for that on a keyboard or smart phone either. What are these kids going to do in a power outage when the phone battery is depleted? Technology skills are important but not to the exclusion of basic skills. Kids cannot do basic
    math or even draft coherent written prose anymore thanks in part to the internet and text messaging. Also before I am accused of being an out of touch dinosaur, I am only 30ish. I grew up with the internet and computers.

Your signature is what it is, it can be "x", it can be printed, it does not have to be cursive.

Power outage, OMG, LMAO on that one ..... break out the candles, and the ink and quill ...

I stand by that todays kids are smarter than past generations.

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    Try this. Don't just ask, actually show someone between the ages of 12-30 years old a one dollar bill. Then ask, "Who's picture is that?" Most of them don't know. The most common answer will be...."a, ah, a president? Lincoln? Jefferson? Ah, ah, Washington? I'm, ah, like ah, I dunno." Then, follow-up with this question; "Would you vote for Oprah Winfrey for president?" The answer to that will almost always be...."Yea, sure, ah, yea." This is an actual experiment that I have been personally conducting all across this great land of ours from sea to shining sea since the presidential election of 1996. Depressing, isn't it?

I really don't believe this applies to just the age group you mention. We deal with many older people who bring us coin/currency collections (that they usually inherit) and they have literally no idea who is on the items they have. When we tell them history of their items, they always go "wow, i never knew that!" or "I never really paid any attention to who/what was on them".

To most, money is just money. and it is not examined other than to tell if it is counterfeit or not (usually with a counterfeit detecting marker).

And to your other point, didn't we just elect a celebrity as president? With the vast majority of who voted for him being 40 and older? So, what does your follow-up question even suggest?

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ambro51 said:
    Oh Yes, todays kids ARE smarter,...trouble is those kids are in schools in Japan, China, Korea, Singapore, Germany, India, etcetc. Not here in the USA.

Wish I could rate that Agree AND LOL.
    Even though it's not funny. :'(

• Options

Take some kid from the 1950's when "America was great" and put him in todays society. That kid would be lost and thought of as not very smart. Times change. Skill sets change. Bring back the school that teaches youngsters how to make buggy whips ...... move forward, or live in the past ......

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    There used to be (maybe still is) a format on Fox News called "Water's World" where he would ask young adults in this age group out in California questions like "who was the 1st President" and easy stuff like that.........they didn't have a clue. It's really scary and depressing.

My brother is a camera operator/producer for many TV shows and programs. These segments are highly edited/scripted, where sometimes it will take 100 different interviews to find 3 or 4 people who get the question wrong. They are actually pretty hard to produce and most people who work in TV do not like doing them as they can be a waste of time if you don't get the content you are looking for. Remember, these segments are for entertainment - not a scientific study.

• Options

I’ve found it nearly impossible to talk “with” my two teenage granddaughters. Either they are deep into their phone or asleep. Simple conversation, demonstrating they understand and speak the English language, is futile. They cannot make eye contact, cannot do anything but give one work responses or disinterested grunts. Needless to say they are NOT inheriting coins.

• Options
    edited February 11, 2018 10:30AM

I've found it nearly impossible to talk "with" my mother-in-law. She went to school in the 1950's and is horrible at communication.

• Options

....yeah those dummies of years ago. The ones who figured how to split the atom, put Al Shepard into space and landed Apollo 11 on the moon. Yup, real dummies.

• Options

This thread is now closed. (Period)

• Options
    edited February 11, 2018 11:34AM

Yes, the scientists of past are awesome. I have the utmost respect for scientists and believe them over talking heads.

This thread has comments like this country is completely screwed because kids today don't know cursive, how absurd.

Smart people will do well in any situation. Today is no different.

Guess what my 10 year old boy after school activity is ...... is it Science Club or is it Football?

• Options

Thread closed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file