Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I’ve been asking people “What’s on the back of the dime’

2»

Comments

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2018 5:18PM

I find it impossible to get my four granddaughters to ever shut-up. You have no idea what's it's like to have them all of together in the car. Four little girls, all talking at the same time. It's enough to drive a guy out of his mind. The fifth pink bundle of joy is due in July. I gotta get a bigger car. And earplugs

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well as the author of this thread, and how it said people don’t know what’s on the back of the dime....I am officially closing it as it has wandered too far off topic. Any further posts will be deemed proof that the poster is also uninformed and incapable of coherent thought. So, once again Thread Closed.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Take some kid from the 1950's when "America was great" and put him in todays society. That kid would be lost and thought of as not very smart. Times change. Skill sets change. Bring back the school that teaches youngsters how to make buggy whips ...... move forward, or live in the past ......

If he doesn’t use emojis, acronyms like “LOL” or “OMG,” and can form basic sentences in professional prose, then I think he is probably leagues ahead. I thought it was horrible when people couldn’t discern between “your” and “you’re,” but it is definitely not “ur.” Would you hire someone that used “ur,” “r,” or “k” or the like except maybe as a door greeter? I think many employers would reject candidates like that.

With regards to the other topic, cursive writing is not irrelevant. It promotes fine motor skills and manual dexterity. Studies also suggest it might help children connect words and letters together. It is also a quick writing method that is useful in professional situations. Finally, anyone that does original research (i.e. as you would with higher education) involving older manuscripts needs it.

Although an opinion piece, research studies support the contentions in this piece:

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2013/04/30/should-schools-require-children-to-learn-cursive/the-benefits-of-cursive-go-beyond-writing

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I've found it nearly impossible to talk "with" my mother-in-law. She went to school in the 1950's and is horrible at communication.

Maybe she is slow. We need a larger sample size.

• Options

@ambro51 said:
    Well as the author of this thread, and how it said people don’t know what’s on the back of the dime....I am officially closing it as it has wandered too far off topic. Any further posts will be deemed proof that the poster is also uninformed and incapable of coherent thought. So, once again Thread Closed.

Were you surprised by the results of your experiment?

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2018 2:31PM

"I think many employers would reject candidates like that." ..... I am looking to hire a social media manager/ consultant. They need the skills of the current generation to be of use to me. Yes they do need to know how to spell or at least use a spell / grammar checker.

" It promotes fine motor skills and manual dexterity." ..... Video games do that and way more like teach Strategy.

"Although an opinion piece" ..... nuff said

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2018 3:42PM

Older folks Tend to hold their generation or the one before in higher regard. The younger people were always going to bring the world to hell and a handbasket.

I know lazy and entitled younger adults and I know some absolutely brilliant ones as well. I honestly think there are more lazy ones and many more brilliant ones then from my generation. For sure I have a harder time relating to the younger people of today

What we placed as important to us bears little in importance to today’s youth. That’s ok. Doesn’t make it right or wrong

Knowing what’s on the back of the dime is of little to no importance no matter the generation

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

Knowing what’s on the back of the dime is of little to no importance no matter the generation

mark

"BLASPHEMY," say I. BLASPHEMY! The God of Coins MUST be p-r-o-p-I- t-I-a-t-e-d.

BLASPHEMY, kind Sir. But BLASPHEMY none the less!

P.S. Speaking of God's.....GOD do I have issues with the God of spellcheck!

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched a 1962 episode of "Death Valley Days" about the Denver Mint and the narrator "The Old Ranger" explained:

By the way, did you ever notice on the tail side of certain dimes, just to the left of the torch.
    The little 'D'?
    Well that shows it was made at the Denver Mint.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2018 5:41PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Cursive really makes no sense in todays world.

wrong. it's very useful for teaching elementary (primary) school children fine motor skills. i know, because i volunteered for 11 years teaching young children the three r's and computers.

the merc dime reverse has a roman fasces on it.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2018 5:09PM

So I just asked my 10 year old to confirm that he does in fact know cursive and was taught cursive in a CA Public School.

So it is taught where I live and my kid knows that old skill with all the new skills, how awesome!!!!

I personally think is not as important as other schooling.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file