Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

List the 10 favorite coins in your personal collection.

2»

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Allright, I'll take a shot

1) 1807 draped bust half dollar, NGC VF-20, O-115 Discovery Coin, tied for finest of 4 known
    2) 1812 half eagle, close 5 D., ICG MS-62
    3) 1799 dollar, PCGS VF-25
    4) 1837 half dollar, former PCGS green AU58
    5) 1884 dollar, PCGS proof-62
    6) 1915-S double eagle, NGC MS-64
    7) 1838 quarter eagle, ANACS AU-50
    8) 1797 half dime, 13 stars, ANACS Fine details, holed
    9) 1805 quarter, B-3, raw Fine-15 or so
    10) 2000 $100, ICG-MS-69

although upon reflection, could easily replace half the coins on the list with different favorites (especially that last one image )

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>I wish I had 10 favorites!!!image >>

What a sad little crying buddy!

I said UP to 10.... got just one to share?
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    Boy, this turned out to be harder to answer than I thought it would be. But after a while I made up this list; I'm sure if I made one tomorrow it'd be different.

10) error 1c [Lincoln Zn] struck off-center 30% @ 2:00 with 20% obverse indent @ 2:00. I've had this coin since 1991 give or take a year for $15. It was one of my first error purchases after realizing I was starting to specialize in them, and it remains one of my favorites through all this time.

9) error 1c 1999 double struck, 2nd strike on-center & rotated 90deg CW, with 30% obverse indent @ 3:00. The interplay of the strikes and the indent just makes this coin plain cool.

8) 1870 Assay Commission medal in bronzed copper. My first assay medal, purchased in 2004. At the time, I got it because I wanted an interesting selection of cool (to me) exonumia; I would only need the one assay medal. Of course, some items just speak to you and I literally couldn't put it down for some time. And as you can see below, sometimes one is not enough.

7) encased postage stamp: Take Ayer's Pills 3c, HB-18. You just cannot be intrigued by these Civil War small change substitutes. They also seem to be much less popular than they should be, though that may be because plenty of (other) merchant's cases or more costly, so the price of a meaningful set stops most people from pursuing the field (including me, as this is my only piece). They are also surprisingly light.

6) error 25c struck clad layer, split before the strike. The ghost images of these coins are just freaky. They are also significantly more rare (and to me cooler) than the related missing clad layer error.

5) error 1c [Lincoln Zn ca. 1999-2000] obverse brockage by a mushroom strike. A "mushroom" strike is error slag for a partial brockage or indent piece where the struck coins starts to fissure apart. This coin was struck by such a coins, and thus the only struck portion on the obverse is a small triangular area near the base of the bust. It took some intuition to figure this one out.

4) 1901 assay commission medal in silver. The first assay plaque, and the most obtainable in silver (to the extent that any can be called obtainable). This was also the first auction I have won, back in 2005. I though at $546.25 I overpaid. Apparently I was wrong. I liked this medal enough to make the reverse my icon on the forums.

3) error 10c 1999-P, reverse indent by a bowtie planchet. The bowtie planchet is called such because of its appearence, caused by two large opposing clips (often also with two smaller ones directly inbetween). This coin was resting on such an error when struck.

2) error 5c 1990-P which needs describing. The most concise way to describe it would be "struck through a fragmented restruck die cap." A die cap was adhering to the obverse die and struck a few coins and became quite thin. It fell apart eventually, now only covering the left half of the die. It then performed a strike without any other blank in the coining chamber, thus receiving a fresh reversed reverse image, with the right side receiving a die clash (in addition to an older one also present. The reverse of this coin shows two clash marks on the right side, and one on the left.) Soon after this "restriking," the die cap/die struck this coin, leaving a "capped die" strike on half the coin, quite thin but with a mirror brockage on it. A coin struck soon before or after this one (or possibly this very coin) was once featured in Coin World's "Collectors Clearinghouse" sometime between 1999-2005.

And, my favorite numismatic item at present:
    1) 1974 assay commission medal in pewter. The first assay medal struck in pewter, and one of the last assay medals to be struck (the series ended in 1977). The obverse is copied from the well-known "Washington before Boston" medal, and the reverse was a new Frank Gasparro creation, which makes this medal one of the most artistic of the latter assay medals. I purchased this in 2005 for $700 against my (supposedly) better judgment, as I figured the prices would decrease, as there was a 1983-2005 trend of prices for 1970's era assay medals. In 2008 the Keusch medal sold for $4,025! Two other sales in 2008 were in the $1,600 range. Shows what I know about price predictions. These prices have also in no way made me consider selling this medal.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2018 9:57PM

@tydye said:
    Below is my list and pics of some
    I doubt I will ever sell any of these in my lifetime
    1854 AU55 Half Dime color
    1853 Dime MS65 Die cracks and color
    1814 CBH Overton set (it is only one date)
    Houck's Pancea counterstamps
    Jamestown Silver SCD MS65 - blinding original luster
    1837 seated dime VF - perfect fields
    Morgan love token
    1795 Silver Dollar - 1795 Silver dollar (cost me 500 in trade)
    1834 Bust quarter AU
    $5 CC gold - love the look

Given all the recent discussions on engraved coins, I just wanted to say this is a great one!

• Options

@RYK said:

Gorgeous coin @RYK! It's so clean and beautiful! Just had to mention it :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... old thread... but one I evidently missed....Mine would be my CC Morgan set...no pictures. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be interested to know the current top 10 of those that posted in 2010 compared with their old list...

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have add a 1796 No Stars Quarter Eagle to my list. I'm not sure which coin would have to come off of it to make room.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@RYK said:

Wow, eight years ago. I currently own none of those coins!

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad that so many pictures are currently being held hostage by Photobucket

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    UTTM07UTTM07 Posts: 313 ✭✭

My top 10:

1798 Large Cent
    1812 Bust Half
    1858 Flying Eagle Cent
    1877 S Trade Dollar, Chop Marked
    1882 CC Morgan Dollar
    1912 Half Eagle
    1913 T1 Buffalo
    1921 Peace Dollar
    1926 S Oregon Half
    2009 UHR

• Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

This is a difficult undertaking. I guess my favorite ten are
    1) 1794 Large Cent, S-24( Apple Cheek variety ), ex Eliasberg, PCGS 66+BN. Probably my favorite coin.
    2) 1794 Large Cent, S-28, ex Naftzger, PCGS 66BN. Found in the United States Hotel in Chester, Penna., a place frequented by Washington and Jefferson during their travels back home from Philadelphia.
    3) 1794 Large Cent, S-69, PCGS 65+RB, ex. St. Oswald.
    4) 1831, Reverse of 1836 Half Cent, PCGS PR66RB
    5) 1841 Large Cent, PCGS PR66+BN
    6) 1830 Large Cent, N-4, PCGS 66BN, ex. Leonard Holland, Pennypacker Sale, stunning coin.
    7) 1838 Large Cent, N-9, PCGS 67BN
    8) 1839 Large Cent, N-13, Booby Head, ex. Naftzger, PCGS 66+RB
    9) 1897 Indian Cent, PCGS PR67+RD Cameo
    10) 1902 Indian Cent, PCGS PR68RD.

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

renomedphys, I think your cents are my favorite coins NOT in my collection! Beautiful!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    renomedphys, I think your cents are my favorite coins NOT in my collection! Beautiful!

Yes, it certainly is an impressive list. B)

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 5:46PM

Huh, interesting old thread bump from eight years ago. Of the ten I listed I think I still have nine, and the one I had in #1 then I'd still call my favorite. It's a humble coin, but it still speaks to me.

mirabela
  • Options

@RYK said:

@Zoins said:

@RYK said:

Wow, eight years ago. I currently own none of those coins!

Good to rotate! Do you have a new favorite top 10?

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Favorites?

Too many to list, but I'll think about it.
    I love each of my babies.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

New Orleans $20

1850 1851 1852 1853 1855 1857 1858

$1 1795 1798 1799

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Regulated
    I really enjoy those Pine Trees, thanks for posting them :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file