Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ordered from Apmex but got a different coin...

The description said "This coin is nice, full of luster and well struck. A great addition to any collection."
Supposed to get this:

But got this instead:
(both coins are NGC ms63):

Debating to return or not...

Comments

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Are you absolutely certain you didn't buy a coin from a stock photo? For much of their graded gold, you do not get the actual coin featured.

I read the descriptions and any photo image carefully and didn't see any notation of stock photo being used nor anything to that nature. In fact, the Certification number is shown in the picture and they should have at least whited it out or mention it.

Had my hope so high.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had OK experiences with APMEX taking into account the wholesale / lowest common denominator nature of a lot of their graded gold offerings, but that stinks if it was not a 'stock photo' ad.

mirabela
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the "War that Custer won" series.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apmex always advertises a picture of the best coin. I usually see the opposite with coins from the FL company. It’s really dumb for them to disappoint customers over and over again this way. I see a lower end 63 in what they shipped.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭

They use many stock photos on their website. It sucks!! I quit looking at their website when I figured it out.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

the FL company?

mirabela
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Deceptive, misleading practices.

Insist on the seller sending the exact item promised. And -- do not be dissuaded from copying all the organizations noted earlier. Deceptive, misleading practices will continue for as long as consumers fail to openly and loudly complain.

"Just returning the coin" is like telling the seller it's OK to continue to treat customers like frozen excrement; and the seller will not change its practices for the better until buyers refuse to be sheep led to slaughter.

OK -- that's all a bit overblown, but I hope the OP, and others, get the point. When you are wronged by a business, complain loudly and to those responsible for overseeing businesses.

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Other than the cheek ding under the eye, the top eagle is a very nice 63. Shame they bait and switched.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just get them to honor sound business practices. They were late to getting on ebay, offered a lot of loss leaders but their quality control can be a problem there in OK City.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 9:06PM

I completely agree that it should be stated very clearly if you are going to receive the coin advertised or not.

However, this particular seller does a huge volume of business with people who just want "X" quantity of gold at such-and-such a grade level at such-and-such a price. Most of those types probably don't even look at the coins when they arrive. Their core clientele are bullion-stackers, not collectors. Still, they should be perfectly transparent in their advertising.

I think if you contact them and carefully explain your goals and frustrations there's a strong chance they'll help you out. At least give them the chance to make it right before going nuclear on them.

Fortunately, there are lots of nice $10 Indians around and with a little looking you should be able to find one that fits what you're looking for. I wouldn't keep this one as there's about zero chance you won't dislike it every time you look at it.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Return the coin and accept nothing less than a full refund. APMEX has a nasty reputation of using stock images without stating so on their website.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

I am not a fan of Apmex if for no other reason they clog up the error coin category on Ebay with non error products. Having said that I have never had a problem as a buyer. Usually close to bullion pricing on MS61 or 62 saints and libs. In at least one instance, a coin was a better date and quality than the stock image suggested.

Send the coin back and request a full refund. If they balk, then come back and update us.

• Options

...and at the bottom of the page.

""We provide all of our customers with a refund, return and / or exchange on everything we sell including all bullion and certified coins. If for any reason, you have a problem, please feel free to call us. We will always do our best to accommodate you.""

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2018 11:19AM

ALL their coin photos may be stock images ! I was looking at a SPECIFIC 1936 OGH CAC buffalo nickel recently and contacted them ...their response: that is NOT the coin you will receive, but you will get one of similar quality.

The photo they used was lifted from a former ebay listing.

To be fair: their handling of bullion purchases is excellent if you want modern gold, silver. HOWEVER, the few certified generic gold coins I have bought from them are definitely low end

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used Apmex for bullion items like silver eagles where I don't care about a nick or two.

Note to self: Be careful when ordering coins from them.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

return it

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2018 5:33AM

They use stock photos. Basically your buying sight unseen. Many sellers use stock photos. Unless the item states a matching certificate number in the description or a statement like David Lawrence has on their listings how you will get the exact item pictured I would not buy from them.

I only buy expensive coins like that sight seen at a show, especially gold.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would always call the seller prior to seeking advice on a forum. A direct phone call to customer service will usually get quick, remedial action and save days of discontent. Often they will offer to pay shipping costs as well. If you are unhappy (and that is certainly your message), take action. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I brought it via Ebay which didnt hv a "random" wording at title or anywhere. Also I was aware of their direct site listing but you would think one will be buying that exact coin listed since its about $100 more on Ebay.

After all said and done, I will called, raised a ruckus and returned the coin.
    As someone said earlier, I, too, had many positive transactions with Apmex. My postings here are intended to share my first time purchasing a specific certified coin experience and not intended to inflame their overall business model. Just their business model needs a slight tweet to better serve their numismactic customer base (as opposed to their buillion crowd).

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

+1

I've bought bullion items many times from APMEX, with no problems. I see that as their specialty. For numismatic items, I go to people who specialize in numismatics, and whom I trust.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

Return it. It's not what you ordered. Just saying

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen some of their listings, some mention stock images, some don't. There's a capped bust half I had bookmarked awhile back, they claim that is the coin you will receive, but the price is a few hundred dollars high. It was nice, but not that nice.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had nothing but good luck with Apmex and MCM.
    Boy, his thread brought out the drama queens, didn’t it?

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

I would just call them and be nice and say you want to return the coin and then return it. Be nice about it. You clearly are not APMEX's normal customer. Making an assumption here, but I believe that most of their customers that would buy a generic date generic grade eagle just want the gold, they aren't looking for the numismatic side of things. They don't care if it's high end for the grade or low end.

Side note though and something to think about. Do you know how much volume APMEX deals in? If not, it would be handy for you to know that they deal in huge volumes. Assuming you did, there is no way you could reasonably expect to get the coin pictured in the listing. They don't have 1000 of the exact same listing using a different specific coin in each picture so you can know exactly what you are getting, that would be way too cumbersome. Sure if it was a 1795 eagle which is wanted for it's specific numismatic value, expect to get the coin in the pictured. But not for a generic grade in a generic date bullion coin.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options

**RE: "This is a little harsh. IMO, no real harm was done (except to AMPEX reputation) in the end. **"

**Yep, it is agressive. It is no less "harsh" than bait-and-switch by the seller. Real harm was done to the buyer and to the confidence he placed in the integrity of the seller. **

If collectors allow this kind of treachery to go unpunished and unexposed it will only get worse -- and that, along with rampant foreign and domestic counterfeiting of collector coins, will drive future collectors away.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why can't I find the listing on eBay? what is the item number?

I also would be upset and return.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

MMM, interesting stories.
    How about getting the TPG to confirm their grade?
    IMO, the coin received would probably barely make 61, considering the original being a 63.
    although it looks like is has a MDD? ( might be also the angle to the camera?)

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2018 10:50AM

@RogerB said:
    **RE: "This is a little harsh. IMO, no real harm was done (except to AMPEX reputation) in the end. **"

**Yep, it is agressive. It is no less "harsh" than bait-and-switch by the seller. Real harm was done to the buyer and to the confidence he placed in the integrity of the seller. **

If collectors allow this kind of treachery to go unpunished and unexposed it will only get worse -- and that, along with rampant foreign and domestic counterfeiting of collector coins, will drive future collectors away.

Read the thread...It's been done before by that company.

Remember a while back when all the big double page advertisers sent out sliders at cheap prices. No one did anything about it because they honored their money back guarantee. If an ignorant collector kept the "junk" they didn't care and the collector was happy. If an informed collector sent it back, out it went to the next fool looking for Santa Clause!

I'm sick of our government, habitual complainers, and do-gooders trying to protect idiots from themselves! I'm so old and weak that "child proof caps" (done to save a dozen kids a year - at what price?- yeah, if only one child is saved....) are a nuisance!

IMO, there are two sides to this. At first I was against AMPEX for bait-and-switch. If the small print said substitutions can be made, then I'm on their side and NO REPLACEMENT DUE! Nevertheless, this company deals with all types of people. If I got that coin, I should return it and has advised the unhappy owner to do the same. However, I'm not a "do-gooder." In my experience, these people find fault with everything, are unhappy much of the time, an live for the times they can bitch about something. I have worked with one!

So I'll be the bad guy here because I was raised by wolves and attended the Attila-The-Hun School for curmudgeons.

• Options

RE: "Read the thread...It's been done before by that company."
    I've read the thread. That changes nothing. The seller will continue deceptive practices until enough people with a backbone complain. All of the options for CC: messages are private and supposed to be dedicated to honesty and integrity -- for collectors, like the OP.

The OP should complain loudly and insist on receiving the coin illustrated. Enough of this and the seller will change it's practices. All the whining, complaining, and "justification of actions" about the seller being a "big" company changes nothing. Everyone in the business of numismatics knows that there are many inferior pieces in the same plastic slabs as superior ones. Showing and superior and sending an inferior coin is very profitable -- it is bait-and-switch, nothing more.

Of course, this all presumes anyone cares. Maybe the hobby is so infested with vermin that the good-guys get less than an honest share of recognition for being honest, clear and direct with customers.

• Options
    edited January 23, 2018 11:31AM

@davewesen said:
    Why can't I find the listing on eBay? what is the item number?

I also would be upset and return.

Ebay item#

Thus thread reminded me of our government. Some to the left, some to the right....

• Options

@Sweetpie said:
    I brought it via Ebay which didnt hv a "random" wording at title or anywhere. Also I was aware of their direct site listing but you would think one will be buying that exact coin listed since its about $100 more on Ebay.

After all said and done, I will called, raised a ruckus and returned the coin.
    As someone said earlier, I, too, had many positive transactions with Apmex. My postings here are intended to share my first time purchasing a specific certified coin experience and not intended to inflame their overall business model. Just their business model needs a slight tweet to better serve their numismactic customer base (as opposed to their buillion crowd).

So clearly they sent the op a different product, though same date, denomination, mm, certifying company/grade. I don't know anyone who buys coins to consume them with a voracious appetite like "the Enterprise" power unit used di-lithium crystals. You pay strong money you expect quality product. The first coin looks like a cac candidate, the second no dice. For everyone ripped off in the US few end up complaining which incentivizes bad business practice.

• Options

Sure looks like they are offering the pictured coin for sale. If it is a generic image, then it should say so immediately under the photo. Further, generic images should be representative of what will be sent, not a "high end MS-63" or some such.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Off topic.
    RE: "I'm so old and weak that "child proof caps" (done to save a dozen kids a year - at what price?- yeah, if only one child is saved....) are a nuisance!"

A. You would equate any human life to your personal inconvenience? Wow! (Must be a typo or some sort....)
    B. All you need to do is ask for regular caps. EVERY pharmacy will do that for you -- no cost, no fuss.

Thanks for "B."

As for "A," I disagree with anything that may save EVEN ONE unfortunate occurrence to a single human by the extra cost, inconvenience, regulation, warning label, etc. dumped on hundreds of million others. I believe in God, natural selection, and yes, even torture. >:)

• Options

Possibly the better 1910 was cherry picked by someone at the Apmex office as a favor, etc.. They had to come up with a coin for the order and the "c" for grade coin was shipped out.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2018 12:55PM

How come that ID doesn't come up for me on the website, just on the mobile?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file