Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Counterfeit coins?

Do you ever collect counterfeit coins?
Where have you found them?
Will e-bay shut you down if you try to sell a counterfeit even if it is being sold as counterfeit?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    I collect counterfeit half dimes, a few of which were bought on eBay. I understand that eBay tries to discourage the selling of counterfeit coins due to their understanding of the law, but sometimes they still do appear. I will say that all of the counterfeit half dimes that I have ever bought, on eBay and otherwise, were presented as bogus by the seller, and were not misrepresented in any way.

To me they are a curiousity, and an important adjunct to a collection of genuine half dimes. One day I would like to research the origin of these typically cast counterfeits.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    there is a forum member here who has a website dedicated to fakes.
    everyone knows he likes the coins so whenever i see one in a coin store
    i made sure to let him know. he has bought every coin i have mentioned
    to him.

sorry i forget his nickname and website at the moment ;-(
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    Some are listed on ebay as genuine. You have to actively search. Yes, ebay shuts them down.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I don't collect them, but I have a cast counterfeit seated half given to me by the late Rob Retz just a couple months before he passed away.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options

amazon.com/gp/product/1981898042/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

See LOOK INSIDE on this web link. Contemporary Circulating Counterfeits sell very well - not Modern Chinese forgeries which are junk base metal items. Discussed seriously in my new book.

Primarily a collector of error coins over the next decade after collecting for 40 years. Have collected & studied every coin series in the Western Hemishere - yes - even ...
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

@colonialjohn said:
    amazon.com/gp/product/1981898042/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

See LOOK INSIDE on this web link. Contemporary Circulating Counterfeits sell very well - not Modern Chinese forgeries which are junk base metal items. Discussed seriously in my new book.

Are you going to resurrect every thread on counterfeit coins so you can promote your book? Why not just start a new thread and tell us about it?

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the post. I shall buy one. When is the Cap and Ray book coming?

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect contemporary monetary counterfeits, my faves are the Henning nickels from 1944 and the Micro-O Morgans.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've only found one counterfeit coin in change,that I can be sure of. It's a 1967 lead quarter.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some... a counterfeit Morgan I purchased at an antique shop - knowing it was counterfeit. An 8 Reale Carolus and a racketeer nickel I have had since I was a kid from my paper route. Those I know about... and I hope I do not have any others ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

Not sure of Gurney's new book I know he is working on it ... it will have to be an overview. The estimate of varieities for Cap and Rays may be in the 1500+ range or 2-4X the Portrait types in terms of indvidual varieties. He has them recorded but how can you output something of this quantity?

Primarily a collector of error coins over the next decade after collecting for 40 years. Have collected & studied every coin series in the Western Hemishere - yes - even ...
  • Options
    colonialjohncolonialjohn Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 10:39PM

With the Heritage April Sale of the Robbins Canadian Blackmsith Coppers at least try the Kindle version of my new book for only $3. Heritage has informed me it will be used in the cataloging. Good Luck. John Lorenzo.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/1981898042/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I could afford to collect some contemporary counterfeits.
    Lance.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dong collect them on purpose. :D

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    I wish I could afford to collect some contemporary counterfeits.
    Lance.

wow, neat

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2018 8:43AM

Here is the only one I ever bought on purpose, an 1837 Lettered Edge Bust Half Dollar. I had seen one of these illustrated in Don Taxy's book on counterfeit and mistruck coins. I thought it was neat that the couterfeiter blew it when he put lettering on the edge. All 1837 half dollars had reeded edges.

All of the other counterfeits that I have were given to me or they cropped in a couple of family hoards of old coins.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2018 3:57AM

I bought a Henning 5c & a contemporary Morgan $ and 3c silver about 30 years ago after taking an ANA Counterfeit Detection Summer Seminar class.

Last year I added 13 die struck modern made counterfeits dating back to 1816. The punches used on the 1816 dies closely match Redbook images. The 13 were cheap and I wanted to see in hand how good they are. I bought them from 3 sellers via fleabay, with no problems, as advertised, fantasy, and I bought when very good actual images were shown.

;^)

One day I'll figure out how to post images and will share.

Why did I drop $5 to $20 a piece delivered on these ?

It was good for me to be aware how much better these openly advertised fantasy items are, in 2017.

Lindy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file