Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

Color brings money. Unfortunately, some people don't care who they screw over.

Later, Paul.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Human nature doesn't change.
    Simply some folks attempting to fleece the uninformed.
    Nothing new.

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

So misrepresented coins is a new thing?

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2018 10:20PM

@clarkbar04 said:

Seeing these colors on Trade Dollars and Seated coins is new to me.

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2018 10:25PM

I can almost guarantee those are cleaned and retoned in some chemical lab by mister Kaleb himself.

Wow but this awesome AU bustie!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/122927127353

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Demand and supply

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would call it the color movement.

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

The 79 Trade has 23 bids, strong bids so maybe they gonna strip it back to blast white and resell?

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@clarkbar04 said:

Not new, just easier to show & share today

Frank

BHNC #203

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rackets and racketeers , like markets and marketeers are as old as the devil himself.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over my 60+ years of collecting I've been taken by some B&M dealers and dealers who set up at shows, simply out of ignorance. These same types are now on eBay, which is even better for them as they can stay fairly anonymous. As said above, nothing new, although these same jerks are now, additionally, using "color" to trap the unwary. Credit eBay for not allowing numeric grades except for the top tier TPGs. I'm unsure if eBay needs to go farther than they have to protect consumers. On one hand people need to take reasonable steps to protect themselves, on the other there are genuinely challenged people who are taken advantage of.

@FadeToBlack said:
    Problem coins before, problem coins after. Zero sympathy for people who get reeled in by this crap, do your homework!

I generally agree with this philosophy as it applies to all things; however, the first time I was ripped off it was by an established B&M dealer in the SF Bay Area who sold me a "proof" 2c piece which turned out to be a polished AU. I was 11 or 12 at the time and used the money saved from my paper route to buy it. Lesson learned.

• 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over my 60+ years of collecting I've been taken by some B&M dealers and dealers who set up at shows, simply out of ignorance. These same types are now on eBay

The late John J. Ford, Jr. was quoted as saying that he would walk the typical bourse floor in the 1950's and two-thirds of the offered 1916-D Mercury Dimes he saw were counterfeit or altered coins. So, yes, you're right - the scum have just migrated to FleaBay.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the..,.other...."pull away" toning.
    You have to pull away from coins like those. ;)

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

What has happened to our hobby? Easy...eBay. Got a scam? Run it on eBay.

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 7:59AM

I can imagine, like most people, they love showing off their coins. I also suspect they have been told a time or two their coins look AT and that they will have a problem recouping their money when they sell. Given those facts, what does this entail? Since there's a sucker born every second, it's very likely they won't have a problem recouping their money when they sell.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon said:
    I can imagine, like most people, they love showing off their coins. I also suspect they have been told a time or two their coins look AT and that they will have a problem recouping their money when they sell. Given those facts, what does this entail? Since there's a sucker born every second, it's very likely they won't have a problem recouping their money when they sell.

Leo

Chances are most collectors who buy this stuff end up losing money. They don't have the resources or the opportunities to market these pieces. The money will be made by the unscrupulous dealer who repeats what eBay seller is doing here.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:
    Color brings money. Unfortunately, some people don't care who they screw over.

Or what they ruin.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knowledge is power.

Those coins are sour.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:

If you AT/IT a coin why should eBay prevent you from selling it there? To them EVERY coin is MA somewhere to someone.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Outhaul said:

If you AT/IT a coin why should eBay prevent you from selling it there? To them EVERY coin is MA somewhere to someone.

People love to blame eBay, but I've seen just as many (or more) problem coins, fake coins, and doctored coins in B&M establishments. The percentage is the same, the total number is just higher because the total number of coins on eBay is higher.

95% of $3 gold I've seen at country auctions are fake. 95% of 16-D dimes and S-VDB cents at country auctions are fake. And the advertised grade at such auctions is almost always inflated. I wish I had a nickel for every polished Morgan called BU.

You find the people you trust and you stick to them...whether on the Internet or in person

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:

So wrong as ebay has made the hobby so much better.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is only one of several things that inhibit growth of the hobby.

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 9:32AM

I do not blame ebay for this problem; it is just another venue. As previously mentioned, the scammers have always been around. Fake/doctored coins at coin shows? Yup. Fake/doctored/suspect grade coins from certain long ago full page advertisers in the numismatic publications? Ubet. Fake/doctored/suspect grade coins from private sellers and local auctions? Ditto.

----- kj

@2ndCharter said:
    Over my 60+ years of collecting I've been taken by some B&M dealers and dealers who set up at shows, simply out of ignorance. These same types are now on eBay

The late John J. Ford, Jr. was quoted as saying that he would walk the typical bourse floor in the 1950's and two-thirds of the offered 1916-D Mercury Dimes he saw were counterfeit or altered coins. So, yes, you're right - the scum have just migrated to FleaBay.

It's a different type of "altering" that goes on today.

Some things never change..............they just evolve.

Pete

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 11:24AM

As long as there are collectors who want to "believe" and take "short cuts" to get in the game there will be people to take advantage of them

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with ricko on these. AT fake tarnish and not at all attractive in my opinion. :(

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

that seller is a hit or miss I have bought from him several items, have not yet tried to get them holdered

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like number 2 Very collectable. What

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

"We sell coins we get from estates." Translation, coin could have been garnered from a shop, show or other venue, but we like to use the word "estates" because it sounds like it came from people who were living large and never heard of a grading service.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

everything {nearly] that he sells is junk colored

Frank

BHNC #203

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:
    everything {nearly] that he sells is junk colored

That might only mean that he only buys colored junk

• Babboonbobo69Babboonbobo69 Posts: 85 ✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2018 1:25PM

You mean like this crack smoker? I made an offer when he was asking $549 but was turned down so he re-listed it when auction ended for over 3-1/2 times original bin price??? Never ceases to amaze me.

@tyler267 said:

Even though there are scumbags in our hobby there are alot of good honest people as well.

Couldn't agree more, that's why I'm still at this. Some of my best friends are or were dealers.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously AT. Feel bad for the newbies getting screwed, as they will likely be turned off forever. Sad.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tyler267 said:

@oldabeintx said:

@FadeToBlack said:
    Problem coins before, problem coins after. Zero sympathy for people who get reeled in by this crap, do your homework!

I generally agree with this philosophy as it applies to all things; however, the first time I was ripped off it was by an established B&M dealer in the SF Bay Area who sold me a "proof" 2c piece which turned out to be a polished AU. I was 11 or 12 at the time and used the money saved from my paper route to buy it. Lesson learned.

I had the same experience, only my BU 2 cent piece was ordered from a Coin World ad in the early 1970s. I used to attend the Fort Lauderdale Coin Club Meetings when I was a kid. I showed the 2 cent piece to several dealers at a club meeting and they all agreed it was a slider, and not worth what I paid. At the end of the meeting one of those dealers came up to me and told me it was over graded but the price I paid was right and he would give me a five dollar profit on the coin. Looking back I'm pretty sure he felt sorry for me and just bailed me out. Even though there are scumbags in our hobby there are alot of good honest people as well.

Great post. Thanks for sharing that one!

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was a risky business buying coins from those ads in CW and NN during the mid-sixties thru the mid seventies. I got taken a few times, too.

@koynekwest said:
    It was a risky business buying coins from those ads in CW and NN during the mid-sixties thru the mid seventies. I got taken a few times, too.

Yea Ron..........so did I.

Pete

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

The seller in the OP had like a hundred identical listings that kept crowding out my searches, they were trying to get around the rules by putting a "#XX" at the end of each title. Guess they finally had to take them down.

So since we are talking about crooked sellers, how is this guy still around? Can you even call this a picture?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1921-PEACE-SILVER-DOLLAR-SUPER-AAA-MS-BU-GEM-RARE-HIGH-RELIEF-STRIKE/222807260179?hash=item33e058fc13:g:3j8AAOSwLUpaY-62

Collector, occasional seller

• AstroJoeAstroJoe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭

Personally, I believe any toning detracts from the coin and considerably lowers the value.
    Why anybody would AT boggles my mind.

Joe

Everything is all right!
  • oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

E Bay, the mint - run Forest!

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2018 5:46AM

Was just checking out some old threads and thought I'd save the photos for the 1879 proof trade dollar:

This ended up selling for $1,652.77, which is between AU58+ ($1,550) and PR60 ($1,750) in today's PCGS Price Guide. There were 62 bids from 22 bidders.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

"A fool and his money. .."

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file