Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS TrueView Generations and Types

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 4, 2022 7:46AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just ran across another TrueView type image with the 1796 quarter below and I thought it would be nice to have a showcase of all the different TrueView types/generations that exist. I've only seen one coin with some of these like the white, blue and variety types. Are there any others?

The 2018 prototypes are from @PCGSPhoto in this thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1010800/trueview-template-changes/p1

TrueView Images

- White

- Blue Sans Serif

- Blue Serif

- Classic

- Modern

- Black

- Variety

Edge View - Style 1

- Edge View - Style 2

- In Slab - PCGS

- In Slab - PCGS - Example 2

- In Slab - CoinFacts Crossover

- 2018 Prototype - White

- 2018 Prototype - Black

- New - Flat White (Official?)

- Slab

- Error Off-Center

Secure Plus / Gold Shield Images

- Scan (not a TrueView) Compare with TrueView here: https://www.pcgs.com/cert/34904020

- Error Scan (not a TrueView)

- Slab (not a TrueView)

Comments

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't say with certainty, but judging from what others have posted Phil is very amenable and will work with submitters to get the pictures that they want. an example might be a nicely toned coin like the Eisenhower Dollar above which will look different depending on the lighting. I suspect that the "Variety" TV above is just such a picture; the submitter wanted the overstruck lettering included.

• The slab images aren't really TrueViews, rather a replacement for the old Secure scans at international offices.
    Just a reminder of what some of the old Secure Scans used to look like:
    http://images.pcgs.com/CertNoCache/34904020_SecurePlusStiched_30297474_extralarge.jpg

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2018 10:02AM

Thanks for the clarification Phil. I added some text after the slab so now it says:

Slab (not a TrueView)

• Also, and I can't stress enough, the old Secure scan is NOT a TrueView. I still get messages from people asking why their TrueView looks so terrible when it's really a Secure scan. Still, it may deserve a place in the list of PCGS imaging history.

There's still some remnants of imaging at PCGS prior to my arrival. I have a book of Kodachromes somewhere.

• labloverlablover Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PCGSPhoto said:
    Also, and I can't stress enough, the old Secure scan is NOT a TrueView. I still get messages from people asking why their TrueView looks so terrible when it's really a Secure scan. Still, it may deserve a place in the list of PCGS imaging history.

There's still some remnants of imaging at PCGS prior to my arrival. I have a book of Kodachromes somewhere.

When looking for examples of Great Customer Service, look no further than the PCGSPhoto Staff!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • 10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

Here are couple of my coins that had an old 'secure' scan (pre Trueview)
    The first one looks like a scan and second one looks like a photo.
    Both now have a real Truview, which I also included.

• ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@10000lakes - I think your second image is actually a TrueView quality image, even if not necessarily requested. I'd had a few that were population census coins that they imaged for CoinFacts without ordering a TrueView.

• MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2018 2:34PM

This one is slightly different than your blue one in that the certification number instead uses a serif font.

And one for kicks and giggles.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

Here is one PCGS did with one of the coins I had sent in for crossover. They have now pulled the image from Coinfacts and from the cert verification.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Thanks for the photos @10000lakes, @mach1ne, @fcloud!

I've added some of the photos above including the blue with serifs, SecurePlus error, and in ATS slab, along with an in PCGS slab.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2018 11:59PM

That variety version is nice! Is that something they still do or does it have to be requested? I have some in for variety attribution & TV's now. If I can get that done I'd love it!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are TruView generation pictures now a collectible field?? ;) Never ceases to amaze me what collectors will find and focus on. I can certainly understand Phil keeping a history - that traces the evolution of his business. Cheers, RickO

• @ms70 said:
    That variety version is nice! Is that something they still do or does it have to be requested?

If you see an image like this it was mostly likely done at the request of our graders

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Phil, if a submitter e-mailed you with a request or wanted to review pictures prior to encapsulation, would you hold them??

edited January 21, 2018 12:04PM

@ricko said:
    Are TruView generation pictures now a collectible field?? ;) Never ceases to amaze me what collectors will find and focus on. I can certainly understand Phil keeping a history - that traces the evolution of his business. Cheers, RickO

Sure! Why not? :)

If I had a coin with an old TrueView, I'd think twice about retiring the cert number. I've seen it happen with a few old TrueViews and it's sad when the photos disappear.

Older TrueViews are photographic history of the coin which is going to become more important over time. It might be nice for PCGS to link TrueViews of different cert numbers. This might be okay since TrueViews don't contain the grade.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins.... Good point, I had not considered that. Cheers, RickO

• I whipped up this custom template for one very unusual coin. Yes, coin.

The PCGS logo on our template is kind of dated and I've been asked to consider updating. Thoughts?

We're also working on some very impressive AI tech to help with our efficiency. Down the road my other goal is to have TrueView where the reeding is much more visible, but we're still a ways off from that.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very creative @pcgsphoto (Phil)!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2018 10:16AM

I was able to verify a variety using a "secure" image (1908 1C MPD FS-301 S-4) (Pick-up point - 8 embedded in the denticles under the 8 of the date)

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/26004000 (you can toggle between these two (secure and TrueView) images)

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...

Added the black type from the Star Trek coin and the edge view type for HK-1031 to the top post.

edited December 6, 2020 5:56AM

Thread Update

I've started to see the following with a flat white background. Are these official PCGS images?

Calling @PCGSPhoto :)

• I have no idea what that is! I'll have to investigate. I can sort of see the watermark in the background.

edited December 4, 2022 12:31AM

Just ran across the following Off Center Error TrueView!

It's already been fixed on Cert Verification with a later TV Generation but the seller is still using the old one.

The error TV has been added to the OP as well.

edited October 5, 2021 8:37AM

Here's a great TrueView that seems to show a view of the edge, which has also been added to the OP now.

Contrast this to this other edge view style style which may be better for reading counterstamps and words.

• @PCGSPhoto said:
    I whipped up this custom template for one very unusual coin. Yes, coin.

The PCGS logo on our template is kind of dated and I've been asked to consider updating. Thoughts?

We're also working on some very impressive AI tech to help with our efficiency. Down the road my other goal is to have TrueView where the reeding is much more visible, but we're still a ways off from that.

This is one of my coins, thank you Phil for always taking awesome pictures of my nerdy Star Trek coins!!

David

@dtalk86 said:

@PCGSPhoto said:
    I whipped up this custom template for one very unusual coin. Yes, coin.

This is one of my coins, thank you Phil for always taking awesome pictures of my nerdy Star Trek coins!!

Awesome @dtalk86! Glad your getting these coins certified!

• burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe this is an older one; not sure of the year but around 2016:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file