Home U.S. Coin Forum

An anacs graded ms65 "bitcoin" sold for $28.7K on the bay

Comments

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

disgusting

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2018 5:45PM

Unfortunately, I missed out on this. I did look for them when BTC was about $1000 couldn't find any for sale.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mkman123 said:
    disgusting

Why? Whether or not bitcoin lasts and continues to grow, this is an interesting physical bitcoin, which is both rare and interesting. Might be a solid investment. (MIGHT!, lol)

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool!

The more you VAM..
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is funny. I was suggesting this idea to so many people at the FUN show- get the first bitcoin graded ms70 and watch it go to moooooon

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mkman123 said:
    disgusting

No more disgusting than spending $1000 (or $10,000) for a Morgan dollar with $12 worth of silver in it. These are rare medals (non-governmental coins?) which, at this writing has an intrinsic value of $14,000.

• KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@mkman123 said:
    disgusting

Why? Whether or not bitcoin lasts and continues to grow, this is an interesting physical bitcoin, which is both rare and interesting. Might be a solid investment. (MIGHT!, lol)

For $28.7K I'll put it on amzn and appl & be able to sleep better.

• TLeverageTLeverage Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2018 7:48PM

Made a brief comment about these Casascius Bitcoins on another thread. They were made in denominations from 0.1 BTC to 1000 BTC ingots (each of the latter being worth around $15 million, though their value can fluctuate a few hundred thousand per day). You can actually track each individual coin via the following site (https://casascius.uberbills.com/).

The total value of the Bitcoins when Casascius started this promotion was peanuts. Now the total value of the Bitcoins used in the production of these pieces is about $1.3 billion.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sure some people have made a lot of money in the crypto currency game - and now with the tangible bitcoin - however, I really see this as a major scheme that will, eventually, collapse.... And the losses will leave the majority of players with nothing. I have been wrong many times before. Cheers, RickO

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not at liberty to think out loud about this non “cents” in a holder. Trend setters lead the masses. What else cane be said ? Value is forever perceived.

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

As they all try to walk gently on...quicksand.:)

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I see nonsense like this I immediately think of all the things I could do with that kind of money.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never knew bit coin was an actual coin I just thought it was something you bought into electronically. I guess I need to pay more attention to the news

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

@COINS MAKE CENTS said:
    I never knew bit coin was an actual coin I just thought it was something you bought into electronically. I guess I need to pay more attention to the news

bitcoin is electronic. These were created separately and contain a digital key to a digital wallet containing the digital bitcoin.

@DCW said:
    When I see nonsense like this I immediately think of all the things I could do with that kind of money.

That's because you aren't thinking of this as a rare coin/medal, which it is.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@mkman123 said:
    disgusting

Could you walk into APMEX and buy $13.3K worth of bullion with it?

Is 1.0000000 bitcoin issued some sort of unique serial number which tracks if it's been negotiated/spent or not? Or were those bitcoin coins given unique identifiers?

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jwitten said:

@mkman123 said:
    disgusting

Yes, you can. Apmex now accepts bitcoin.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

More media buzz. Coin value 1,100 advertising expense 27,600.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

@jwitten said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jwitten said:

@mkman123 said:
    disgusting

I know that but would they accept that specific coin?

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2018 12:54PM

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jwitten said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jwitten said:

@mkman123 said:
    disgusting

You can use that coin as a regular bitcoin if you want. Of course, you'll lose the some $15,000 in numismatic premium so it probably wouldn't be the most cost effective way to use that Casascius bitcoin.

@Zoins said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jwitten said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jwitten said:

@mkman123 said:
    disgusting

You can use that coin as a regular bitcoin if you want. Of course, you'll lose the some $15,000 in numismatic premium so it probably wouldn't be the most cost effective way to use that Casascius bitcoin.

Not yet anyways. I wonder what the value will be if bitcoin falls back to say $500.

Unless it's as quick and easy to use like PP or a CC it seems to be mostly a PITA. If I went to Best Buy and bought a computer and used bitcoin, I'd want to present it like you would a giftcard.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file