Home U.S. Coin Forum

First show me smoething Hawaiian or a nuclear blast coin.

renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Then follow up with a fake coin or smoething that made you panic.

What a day.

Comments

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

Saw the alert and was not concerned, also saw most people were not concerned and carried on what they were doing as if nothing happened.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mkman123 .....you must not have gotten the calls that some others did then.....

Interesting times.

Pineapples.

Surf

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hawaiian traffic and highway signs:

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SurfinxHI said:
    Pineapples.

The chocolate-covered pineapple-on-a-stick at the Dole Pineapple Planation is great.

• VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dan Fan
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watch the 1964 film Dr. Strangelove...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

Orson Welles is at it again.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

Market Report - It looked like some Hawaiian coins could go White Hot Nuclear today. But it turned out to be a false alarm. (And stay away from dreck.)
    (Not mine - An MS-65 from PCGS CoinFacts)

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2018 9:12PM

It was close to 40 minutes between the alarm and the message that all was OK. Lots of people panicked. One legislator and his family clamored together in their bathtub. A group of tourists on a bus just entered the Kualoa Ranch parking lot when they saw people fleeing from the ranch buildings. They were among the few to actually have a safer place to head to as the World War II bunkers are still existent there on the ranch and that is where everyone headed. (If you ever watched episodes of LOST, those same bunkers were featured in the TV show.)

https://nytimes.com/2018/01/13/us/hawaii-missile.html

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

It showed me there's not much time (20-22 minutes) to do anything. If the sirens go off for a tsunami one has some time to get to higher ground. Assuming the missile target is Pearl Harbor, and an airburst at that, there's no time to take adequate cover. Let's say one does survive, then what...no one's coming here to rescue for a while.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had the opportunity to watch an atomic explosion back in the early 50's but slept through it (or so my Mother said). We were 500 miles north in Carson City and the adults were having a "bomb" party. They said they woke me up at about 4 am to watch the "sunrise in the south" but I guess I didn't think it was worth waking up for. We should have bomb parties today. I wish they would give us advance notice of when they will use the MOAB again and then we can plan a really good party...........whatcha think?

bob :)
    I don't understand why it took 38 minutes to cancel when if it were real it would only take 20 minutes to get there from N. Korea.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • BeerockBeerock Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

• BeerockBeerock Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

Fake

edited January 13, 2018 9:35PM

OK, here are some somethings "Hawaiian."

Taken just exactly one week ago, this shot evidences an actual thermal event that I captured on "film" from Ala Moana Park on Oahu:

And here, at the same location from the same day, I am pictured with resident extended family who stayed behind to survive today's scare:

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I imagine the 'false alarm' was quite frightening for some. I read the account and still do not understand why it took so long to cancel.... There better be some new processes to avoid this in the future....Cheers, RickO

• JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

• alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭✭

My phone didnt receive the message, so luckily i didnt panic. However i heard many abandoned their shopping cart in the stores, while others rushed into the cement stores.

@alohagary said:
    My phone didnt receive the message, so luckily i didnt panic. However i heard many abandoned their shopping cart in the stores, while others rushed into the cement stores.

Just curious. Is there a reason your cell phone did not receive the message? That might be of concern had the missile actually been incoming.

• alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭✭

I probably did not set it up ti receive
    I am not a techie

@alohagary said:
    I probably did not set it up ti receive
    I am not a techie

I know one of my extended family members slept through the warning. Another was awake to get the message. I forgot to ask if the tsunami sirens went off to at least alert everyone there was some type of danger, and if not why not. I know they had just tested those the week prior so they were evidently in working order.

Assuming the warnings only went to persons with cell phones, this sounds like a weak link in the system if the intent is to warn all residents of an upcoming disaster. I know the governor made a big deal about changing the computer system so there will be a double trigger to send out the cell phone warnings next time, but perhaps this should also be looked at as a wake-up call with regard to the inadequacy of the system in place to warn both persons with and without cell phones "set up to receive."

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JazzmanJAB said:

Booming luster.

• Here's a 500 Yen Hiroshima prefecture program coin.

And a Hungarian 5000 Forint commemorating Edward Teller, father of the H-Bomb

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@northcoin said:

@alohagary said:

Just curious. Is there a reason your cell phone did not receive the message? That might be of concern had the missile actually been incoming.

I didn't get a warning either and my phone is set up. I've received other warnings in the past...?

///

I sent a letter to the editor voicing my desire to have the head of HEMA and the 'button-pusher' fired. Heads need to roll.

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just picked this up from CRO today, coincidentally. I'll do a formal GTG once I get it in hand. (Photos H/T CRO.)

• Beefer518Beefer518 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

Something Hawaiian -

Something fake (long story) -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file