Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Updated - Slow (and bad) Submission Return? - Photo added

YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 12, 2018 6:27PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

On 11/21, our host received a submission from me from my Collectors’ Club vouchers.
Only one was a foreign coin. The US pieces were returned a couple of weeks ago.
I had hoped to show the coin off (not to sell it) at FUN.
Is it worth calling to inquire? Or does that just upset customer service?

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are certainly crawling this year. Baltimore was earlier this year and I have always received my economy submissions from Baltimore by now. Doesn't look like I'm going to get it in time for FUN this year. It doesn't help FUN's a week earlier either.

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think it is too slow. It sounds about right, a little more than a month. You should get it soon I think,

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a world submission received on 11/17 and the coins were returned on 12/26. So progress is being made. Plus there are the true view images. I will make an effort to share some of the images.

I do have a question for you.. We're you able to split the voucher into two submissions so the same voucher could be used for both US and world coins? I have not tried that even though I would like to. Does PCGS allow that? It seems if someone is willing to pay for the handling of a second submission, sees it would be a win-win situation.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coinkat,
    Yes I split the voucher, with 7 freebies claimed for US and 1 for the foreign coin.
    The drawback is having to pay for separate shipping upon return.

By the way, I did just call customer service to ask status. Pending was the only answer I could get, with no ETA for my coin. It is a 1647 lion Daalder, by the way. I am very excited to be getting it back in a PCGS holder with a true view photo. I will post the pic when possible.

I’m really not surprised because if everybody called, it would surely slow down the process even more.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am pleased to. Read that you were able to do that. Please post the image once you get the coin back

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

I submitted about 80 coins in September, some in regular and some in economic all back in little over a month.

• ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Dropped off a world submission at the Vegas show and they haven't gotten around to inputting it yet

edited December 30, 2017 1:00PM

I sent in 6 or 7 orders last two weeks ago. They are all in the system now

I got one express result today. It was in the system on 12/29. It is pretty fast for this order. I also has a express order in the system on 12/22 but is still waiting for result. So I guess it really depends on the coins you submit. I also have couple regular which will be two or three more weeks I guess.

Update on my submission status; got two submission result today. One is express in the system 12/22. Another is regular in the system 12/15.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

They really lag behind in World turnaround times

edited January 12, 2018 3:57PM

Well, my anxious wait was a waste!
    My coin was broken out of an NGC 61 holder. It looks better than coins of the series in PCGS 62 holders. It came back an AU53. I am not a happy camper. In my opinion, somebody really did not pay attention in the grading room that day.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yorkshireman said:
    My coin was broken out of an NGC 61 holder. It looks better than coins of the series in PCGS 62 holders. It came back an AU53. I am not a happy camper. In my opinion, somebody really did not pay attention in the grading room that day.

Pictures???

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lee, the grading game can be very frustrating. Especially with the costs and wait times associated with it. I would say that if you strongly believe its undergraded, crack it out and resubmit. What also works is to get it into a higher graded NGC holder and attempt a crossover with a min grade specified.

Would love to see the picture. Did the PCGS image it?

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

I would have left it in NGC plastic. For world coins, I like them in NGC holders, my preference.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.

@Yorkshireman said:

WOW, sorry to hear that. So far I only cross over with same grade or higher, I don't want any downgrade. So far the result is about 35% cross. I did submit many raw coins but most of them got detail. PCGS is very hard on world coin.

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hit the "like" button only because there is no "love" button. Obviously I am biased (see my icon - a PCGS 45 for what it is worth), but that is a great, great coin! So many of these coins were made poorly, or have been cleaned. Yours is well made and looks original. I can see why it is your favorite purchase of the year.

Where did you get it from?

I am sorry to hear about the downgrade. But, if you plan on holding on to it, I would just leave it alone for now and enjoy it!

My current "Box of 20"

Thanks, Bob13. I do love that coin.
    I bought it from John / CRO.

I like that coin. AU53 way to hard. I have a coin that I think it looks much better than PCGS same grade coin but failed to cross twice. I am not going to crack it out. No way,.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd try it again if you really want it in PCGS plastic vs. raw/other. Seems unduly harsh, but honestly if all you like is the coin, why put too much more into it. I've seen too many oddities in going one way or the other with grades, attributions, or other issues.

That said, I'd want the grade I agree with the most on the label regardless of top tier entity as that is what my heirs/subsequent purchasers will see. It's enough for me to want to switch to ancients where 'how I like it' overrides all.

Shoot, send it back to NGC raw with the original label and say the slab was inadvertently broken. Obviously it goes through an entirely new grading process, but at least it should get a fair shake. Learn to love the prongs. Embrace the prongs. Become one with the prongs. Adopt a pronghorn antelope as your new family coat of arms.

No matter what, it is a lovely coin!