Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is Bullion a good investment???????

Hi Collectors,
I have a question, is bullion a good investment or is getting rare US coins a better investment? Gold and silver is always all over the place in price. My question is, if i would save my gold and silver, would it go up in value in the future? I know getting rare us coins is a good investment but I don't know about bullion. Thanks Noah

I LOVE old coins.

Comments

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the folks here who know the answer to that have left, and are on their yachts in the Bahamas. ;)

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, no, and no.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

Check the 5 year chart on Silver. that may answer your question :#

Bob

Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BobSav Also check the 40 year chart!!! lol

• Options
    BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

@thebigeng said:

Yep your right hindsight makes everybody an expert.
    Do you have any current investment that you started 40 years ago. ?

Bob

Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 838 ✭✭✭✭

Your not specific about your investment type? If it's for retirement-no
    If for speculation and a rainy day fund in about 10-20 years go for it.
    And I would do AGE's.

• Options
    ranger1202ranger1202 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

I think the better question is which would be a better investment? Bullion or rare US coins. I would definitely like to know dollar for dollar which will grow at a higher percentage over the next 30-40 years (assuming both go up). As much as I'm enjoying sourcing and purchasing collectable coins, who knows what the market will look like 30 years from now. I'm in my early 30s and everyone I know who is my age could care less about coins and likely never will. Less demand = lower price.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2018 2:07PM

Bullion can be a good investment at times, but you have to ask yourself
    “ Relative to what?”
    It is possible to monitor the relative strength of multiple asset classes. Whether comparing investments or football teams, something is almost always stronger than the rest. You just have to understand how to compare them. Then invest accordingly based on that and your time horizon and risk tolerance.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure, if you think silver is rising to $47 again.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Dad's 40 year investment in silver coin did five times compared to what he paid for it. That was right in line with how our paper currency depreciated, in real purchasing power terms, over those same forty years.

Hold physical gold and silver bullion and junk silver as long-term "savings" or as a "insurance" hedge against our paper money going to crap, not as a short or medium term "investment". Don't expect to hit a real home run in real purchasing power terms by buying physical. If you do get way ahead, times are likely to be hectic or chaotic (or there may even be a "hot" War) and you will be faced with the very difficult decision whether or not to go back to paper when times are quite uncertain.

Short term speculation can be done on paper without the need to hold the physical metal.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    My Dad's 40 year investment in silver coin did five times compared to what he paid for it. That was right in line with how our paper currency depreciated, in real purchasing power terms, over those same forty years.

Yikes! That's 4.6% annualized.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it’s beating numismatic coins as fewer collectors having dampening effect on many numismatic issues - these will continue slide in my view.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have a crystal ball or perhaps a time machine ....????

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have I made money playing with bullion ?
    Absolutely !
    Have I ever lost money playing with bullion ?
    Of course......
    I've been very fortunate however, that my outcome has usually been the former......

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebigeng said:

Check the 5 year chart on silver

Yes, check the 40 and 60 year charts for gold and silver, and on the same graphs, compare the charts for % returns on stocks, bonds, coastal, inland, residential and commercial real estate, and other asset classes such as cars, collectibles, art, antiques, etc.

Best argument for diversification and periodic rebalancing there is, IMO

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me it's speculation not investing. I can't explain it.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to think of collecting as a hobby. It defiantly is not an investment.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy low Sell High

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only if it goes up

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dpoole said:
    All the folks here who know the answer to that have left, and are on their yachts in the Bahamas. ;)

...and the ones that didn't are circling the Bermuda Triangle.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    Buy low Sell High

Which often ends up being, "buy high, sell higher." ;)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2018 1:45AM

Are you saving for retirement or stockpiling for the apocalypse?

It all depends on your goals and purposes.

I suspect that neither is a good idea as the cornerstone of a retirement plan, but each has its place. If you want a hobby to spend your mad money on, quality coins are better than a lot of things that don't hold their value as well. If you want some pretty things to look at that will also be useful if North Korea launches some nukes, stack some bullion.

JMHO, not meant as investment advice.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've dabbled in bullion and coin collecting (not rare coins), and have never realized a profit. Its a fun habit or hobby. Stocks and real estate have paid off quite well (so far).

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

rare coins and bullion are like anything---some people have made fortunes, other lost fortunes and everywhere in between. Same can be said for stocks. I think purely as an investment, stocks are "easier" in that you can pick an index fund and generally do pretty well without much study. However, there are some very savy coin collectors who have done extremely well but I dare so they put a lot of time, effort, dedication and self discipline into it.

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I retired at 53 without a pension by NOT investing in Bullion.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2018 8:09AM

eliminating personal debt (except a mortgage) should be one's first investment. Gold should be part of a diversified portfolio. Size of the gold position should reflect one's expectations of what direction the overall economy is headed. In times of economic turmoil, gold tends to outperform.

Today's investment decisions rely less on market fundamentals and more on the massive liquidity (money!) that the Federal Reserve bank has provided to the market makers. Markets are extremely distorted and a good forecast of future FED action and its results could prove profitable.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2018 8:35AM

I've seen silver close to $50 twice in my life, I've also seen it <$4...I collect, I don't invest. If it goes back to $4, while all the wailing and gnashing of teeth is occurring, I would try to stack 10,000 ounces, else I'll buy 3 SAEs per year to keep my date sets going and stick to coin collecting.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a friend who saves his change. Silver change. His $22k face value in change is worth a quarter mil, now . Can’t say this about the clad coins he sticks in jars. Investments go to work for you. It (bullion) could play a major role in hedging, but investing ? I’m no counselor .

• Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

Nothing is always a good investment. You have to look for windows of opportunity.

Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

I remember when gold was $810/oz in 1981 and $280 in 2001. Not a good track record. If you are insistent on gold buy unc $20 in 64 or better that move up and down with the spot price of gold. You may make money on the numismatic portion but most of your profit or loss is toes to the spot price.

I prefer quality stocks as the historical record is hard to beat. The Dow was 1.300 in 1982 and trying to break 25.000. All investments can move either direction but a long term track record is about as good as you will get to make your decision.

Just my opinion and experience,

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2018 6:44PM

Who holds gold controls his future.
    Several disagree, but keep a sizable position for my own peace of mind.

And do not care if it goes up or down. It is mine and that's all I care.

Don't do it if you need a return. Do do it if you study history and doubt the mainstream information.

I will never regret holding it. But I have the other conventional assets and say to hell with "investment" considerations.

:)

• Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

@mustangmanbob said:

When did you retire? Gold went up every year from 2001 to 2012. It would've been kind of difficult to lose money in that environment if you just held.

• Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

ABSOLUTELY!

Provided you can buy it cheap enough and sell it high enough.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

@StampCoinGuy777 said:
    Hi Collectors,
    I have a question, is bullion a good investment or is getting rare US coins a better investment? Gold and silver is always all over the place in price. My question is, if i would save my gold and silver, would it go up in value in the future? I know getting rare us coins is a good investment but I don't know about bullion. Thanks Noah

I would NOT consider either to be a "good investment". They are both speculations. The S&P 500 has gone up approximately 10% per year for 125 years. Government bonds have averaged 5-7% for 200 years. For coins to be an "investment", they need to appreciate at about 7% per year. They might, but theymight not.

• Options

@92vette said:

@mustangmanbob said:

When did you retire? Gold went up every year from 2001 to 2012. It would've been kind of difficult to lose money in that environment if you just held.

And how did gold do relative to the S&P 500 or even bonds between 2001 and 2018.

And, you are cherry-picking your data. If you want to look at "Retirement investing", you need at least a 30 year window, want to look at 1981 to 2011? 1971 to 2011?

• Options

@Stork said:
    You ask what seems to be a short, simple question. But, it's neither.

Investments are things that grow or improve in value of which stocks (a piece of a business), bonds (lending money to an entity that will pay you back with interest), and real estate (income producing) are examples. All have risks involved (companies fail, interest rates fluctuate, property burns down etc, which all have an effect on the return of your investment). However, the idea is that you are obtaining something that grows your wealth.

Speculation comes into play for things where you are betting someone will pay more for it later. Futures contracts. Bullion price swings. Bitcoin. Tulip bulbs. Collectibles might even fit this category. You pay your money and speculate that things will be worth more when it's time to sell.

Some speculation can fit as part of overall money management or portfolio, but know the difference. All investments are a bit of a risk--anything can fail, but look at what underlies the generation of price increase. Is it a growing company, a cash flow positive duplex, or is it a guess on a price swing?

Savings vehicles are things that store wealth. Sadly, the problem here is inflation and the fiat nature of cash. Short term cash reserves do function as a way to manipulate your funds and store your work as a medium of exchange, but long term the value is eroded. Bullion can act as a store of wealth as there is generally some relative value of it compared to 'real goods', however there is enough fluctuation that it is not a perfect store either. There are thousands of years of human history and billions of people in the world today that give bullion 'value', but it's a moving target at times.

That said, and as pointed out above, bullion does have a role in an overall investment portfolio as it does represent a store of value that can fluctuate out of step to the performance of your savings, or the value of some of your investments. As part of an overall wealth management strategy bullion can have a role.

Collectibles happen to be a luxury item where one can speculate on future price increases. You write that you know getting rare us coins is a good investment. But is it?

The reason they have value is that they are desirable to people who have discretionary income. If the collector base dies off, loses interest, or loses its ability to pay (middle class on up depending on your perspective), well you might see that those lofty prices slump.

Sure collectibles can go up in value but so do GI Joes, comic books, sports cards, Beanie Babies etc. How's the stamp market going these days? Flintstone toys? Nothing is guaranteed to stay popular or always increase in value. At least with art you can decorate your house and with wine you can drink your collection.

So, if you want to collect something do so, but try not to think of it as an 'investment'. Maybe you are less likely to lose money (??? depending on what you choose to collect) than if you 'invest' in a car, a diamond ring, new furniture etc. Anyone who tries to sell you something by calling it an investment should make you do a due diligence check on what their motive is. Any of those are fine to buy and can improve you quality of life, but they are not investments. Perhaps part of your net worth, but not an investment.

Buy bullion because either you like it, it fits with your overall money management strategy, or it makes you feel better. Buy collectibles because you get enjoyment from owning them. Buy a duplex or a well diversified stock mutual fund for your IRA if you want to invest.

THIS! THIS! THIS!

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2018 7:31AM

@StampCoinGuy777 said:
    Hi Collectors,

I don't mean to be condescending but your question(s) probably need to be reworked.

Of course we want anything we invest in to go up in value. But what is the purpose of the holding?

Something to be considered:
    An opportunity for profits can be made with rare coins simply by learning as much as you can about them and using that knowledge to spot a potentially underappreciated (priced low) example sitting in the marketplace. Cherrypicking is a commonly used term. It could also be categorized as arbitrage. So you get the benefit of enjoying a hobby along with the potential for good returns. This dynamic is not really present with bullion.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2018 8:07AM

It Is wrong to say an investment needs to appreciate at a steady 7% to be considered as such, but in context it looks like you meant “good” investment, which is fine. An investment is literally defined as (check Merriam Webster) an asset designed to produce income or appreciate. Reading more it states “anything that investor believes will produce income or be worth more”.

Coins and bullion clearly fall into that category no matter how many people on this board say they do not. What those people really mean is “I don’t collect coins to make money” or “coins are not a good investment”, both of which are reasonable positions. Now, the answer to your original question is an unequivocal “maybe”. In the case of coins, a great deal of your return can be enhanced by knowledge. With bullion, much less so - that market is pretty efficient.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@REALGATOR

Agree with everything there. Cherry picking is information arbitrage.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

bitcoin was a good investment last year

LCoopie = Les

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file