Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

2018 New Years Numismatic Goals

1) Add a few top notch examples to my Latin American type set, specifically the Carlos III and Carlos IV sets

2) Add a few cool coins to my World Coins in Ealry America’s set and poopularize the set further.

3) Build out my Mexican Repulbic 8R set

4) Avoid impulse purchases

5) Continue to buy and sell cool coins from Europe with a bit more discipline and a few more buying trips this year.

What are yours?

Comments

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same as probably every year. Sell and concentrate on one or two series. Seems to never happen.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

I can't see further into the year than the NYINC.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

My goal is to continue to be respectful and act honorably in all aspects of participating in this great hobby.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Complete my Maurice Tiberius regnal year set.
    2. Complete my low end Spanish Colonial 8 reales type set.
    3. Consider beginning a Justin II regnal year set.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

This past year, my goal was to acquire one coin from my "top tier" wantlist, knowing I'm after types which are tough to find.

Instead, I crossed 15 off of that wantlist.

For 2018, I will keep the same goal and I still have no expectation of exceeding it (but one can hope!)

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • RMWRMW Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

I’ve got 7 pieces to go to complete a set of at least one piece for each minor denomination for each monarch in the British Milled Series ( Edward VIII excepted). I hope to get at least one in 2018. Two halfpennies, a sixpence , a shilling and three half crowns. Unfortunately I missed a great ipportunity to get half of them last year as by the time I found out about the availability’ of some top pieces, they had already sold .
    Also two pieces to go to finish a set of at least one official Coronation Medal for each monarch in the milled series as well ( again ,ex Edward VIII).

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to acquire more gem cap n Ray 8 reales too.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

Add more slabbed thai coins to my Thailand Custom Registry set.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep steady with the core Taler set. Buy outside the box when appropriate.

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Avoid impulsive buying... good luck trying!

• ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭

Buy quality coins at a reasonable price. Ops - busted already.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always fun...will try and be semi-realistic.

• Convert my old 'bullionesque' 'collections' to bullion or numismatics, but not in the same coin.
    • Sell the stuff that doesn't 'speak to me' anymore, but don't worry if something stays for no apparent reason (other than I like it).
    • Learn more (history, ancients, minting processes, pre-Meiji coins, etc)
    • Read the books I already own!
    • Embrace my 'type collector' nature and stop worrying about sets as envisioned by others
    • shh-add a few to my US type set
    • Add at least a few more Japanese varieties and not worry so much about filling a date slot
    • Try to add at least two more to my Albanian set
    • Find a few of the ancients that inspired the Zog Albanian designs
    • Re-awaken my vanity website and do some solid updates
    • Work on photo skills
    • Stay on budget
    • Try to get to more shows and eventually try and get to the ANA summer seminar (this year is very unlikely but it's time to figure out a 2-3 year plan with work/family etc).
    • Look into the local coin club

So, nothing to much :smiley: Some of these have been on the list a long time.

• cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will add my name to the list of those that will continue to work on the Mexican cap and rays 8R. I am working on a mintmark set and looking for eye appealing 63 and above coins. I know that will not be possible for a couple of the mints.

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭

My goal is to continue to fill holes in this set: https://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/canadian-federation/canadian-complete-sets/canadian-coins-complete-set-varieties-circulation-strikes-1858-1952/alltimeset/3608

And enjoy watching you guys and gals post additions to your sets.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Fill one of the few remaining holes in my Wessex to Harold II monarch set with suitable quality
    2. Continue to add quality pieces to my various sets without getting strongly worded feedback from my wife regarding our finances

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once I recover from a house purchase and trade in my car, I'll hopefully be able to add a few early Anglo-Saxon British coins to the collection.
    I also would like to sell a few duplicates and upgrade a few lower grade examples.

• savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

Since this is my 10 year anniversary in the hobby (where does the time go?) I want to add something new and interesting to my collection every month of the year...without spending more than $10 (not counting shipping).

Realistically, it's not likely to happen. Being a low end collector is much harder than it might seem. So, I'll be happy if I can at least add some new (to me) interesting pieces to my collection. I've been kind of out of the hobby for a while and want to get back in.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭

2017 was a tipping point for me -- I bought 4 coins early in the year and sold 4 coins later. I imagine this happens to many collectors at some point. I feel that my collection has matured and I have crossed over into semi-retirement so I have put the brakes on overly enthusiastic hobby spending and will move towards more deaccession going forward.

However, I would like to add just a few more coins to my two Mexico City 8 reales sets ATS. If you have knowledge on the availability of:

1762MoMF, 1763MoMM, 1778/7MoFF or 1786/5MoFM

please let me know. There are a few more to really complete my sets but they just aren't realistic prospects.

Pictures taken with iPhone but in hand better.

@bidask said:
    I would like to acquire more gem cap n Ray 8 reales too.