Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

New Irish Shilling! Cracked it out of its holder, thoughts on the grade?

I bought this off of Great Collections last week. Not very nice or flattering pictures of it on GC. I ended putting a bid on it not expecting to win it and did...for REALLY cheap, $27 + the $5 buyer premium.

This is the key date for the Irish 1 shilling with a mintage of 100,000. Tough to find above VF. Here is the listing from GC: https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/520008/Ireland-1937-Silver-Shilling-ANACS-VF-35

Ugly and dark pics, right?

I ended up cracking it out and soaking it in acetone for a while. There was a lot of gunk on it that ended up melting off. This is the result. If you see a little "hook" in the pictures, that's from my iPhone camera and not on the coin. How do you think it looks compared to before? I think it is a solid XF with a chance at low AU, if the graders are having a good day. Thoughts?

Comments

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2017 5:35AM

I see it no better than a lower VF, maybe even F!. I like to see the rib on the left side and all the lattice work on the right of the harp to garner an XF. All the animals are well protected from wear compared to the harp side on Irish coins...at least this has been my observation.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the grade is about right, VF+

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very ordinary VF. Not even close to XF or AU.

All glory is fleeting.
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

yep VF from an Irish coin collector

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting feedback, thanks. I think my pictures are a bit misleading as there is still luster on both sides. When I have it graded I'll make sure to update the thread. I'm still confident in an XF grade from PCGS. We shall see!

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good Luck!

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not seeing what you are seeing based on your image... Best wishes with your efforts

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like ANACS had it right the first time :# Graded VF-35 . Thought it could go higher, but I like the original look of the coin and it will stay in my Irish Shilling collection until I find a better example at a reasonable price.