Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Our own forum members in grading competition !

Comments

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool vid, thanks for sharing. If NGC does another video like this, one tip for them would be to have a hi-res picture up of the coin on the screen while the pros are talking about it.

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a fun video.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is James a dealer?

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2017 8:38PM

Thank you. I've known the others for a long time. Now, I don't get out much. That is a great way to see how a grader's mind works. It is the way our instructor did it and made us do it.

• numismagramnumismagram Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2017 12:03PM

This video is the best :#

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!

• Thanks everyone! It was a lot of fun. Andy and I are talking about a rematch...

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Atlascoin said:
    Thanks everyone! It was a lot of fun. Andy and I are talking about a rematch...

Ha ha we want a rematch.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Well done guys. I really enjoyed watching that video. New and old time collecters can both learn something.

• tonedSilvertonedSilver Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

That was fun to watch. Thank you for providing additional details like coins being originally stored in cellophane, etc. Very useful information.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to see that 1827 8 Soles again!!!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2017 7:08PM

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Nice job @Atlascoin and @MrEureka !

Yes, very nice job!!! Two pairs of very sharp eyes as well as being very knowledgeable.

One thing I noticed is that the gentleman from Coin World (Charles Morgan?) was not using a loupe. Not sure how he felt he can get away with that in a competition against two successful coin dealers (who are comfortable buying raw) and the WINGS guy.

Before seeing the results of the competition, I'd have placed Andy and James in the top two and the CW guy fourth based on my assumptions of them.

Also, Andy and James were very dry and technical in their conduct. Lance was being humorous, and the CW guy seemed like he was writing a brief informative story about each coin (which was probably his intention as opposed to simply being his style).

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun video!

• ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing

• RMWRMW Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Really liked this video!

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoyed watching the video, thanks!!

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty Cool.

Does anyone else here thing the Peruvian piece graded VF30 was grossly undergraded? The coin actually was well struck for the type and had tons of luster! I could see them grading it 45 instead of AU but VF30! Really!

I also think it would be more interesting if there was a time limit of say 30 seconds per coin to put the pressure on like the Professional graders supposedly have! That's not to say coins should be graded that way!

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2017 11:34AM

@amwldcoin said:

I also think it would be more interesting if there was a time limit of say 30 seconds per coin to put the pressure on like the Professional graders supposedly have! That's not to say coins should be graded that way!

Coins are graded that way. The video lasts 54 minutes from start to finish including the extras, and therefore the total net time per contestant for the entire box of 20 does not exceed 10-12 minutes, which is pretty close to a max of 30 seconds per coin. Several coins were being graded in less than 10 seconds, and there is no way to tell how long it would have taken them without the comments that they made for the benefit of the viewers.

Considering the large percentage of Latin American coins I would have expected Andy to do better, but both him and James did very well overall. Congrats to both of you for spotting the graffiti on the sovereign and for the total score. Zohar, thank you for posting this !

And a suggestion for next time: if a contestant misses the grade category (ex. calling a VF coin XF or AU), he should get a minus 1 to minus 3, depending on how far off he's been. ;)

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2017 12:43PM

I don't think that I would have done better than the CoinWeek guy, given the large variety of countries of origin, dates and different metals, although I'd like to believe that I would have saved myself the embarrassment of grading the Palestinian mil at MS63 (NGC grade AU50) or the 50 mils (VF25) at AU53. I also suggest to those who haven't seen the video yet, to fast forward his 10 minute monologue on the Balboa... :D

And yet, he was the only one who got the military bust 8 escudos right at first (AU58), but unfortunately he switched his grade to MS61. Moral of the story here is to go with the first instinct, which is usually the right one.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • YouYou Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

I would guess that many of these coins were chosen for the competition because they were deemed difficult to grade accurately, judging by how times most or all of the dealers were off in pretty much exactly the same direction (overgrading or undergrading). Probably, the NGC grades were not would one would expect. I would advise passing these coins through NGC graders a couple of times before using them in the competition in order to ensure consistency in grading.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good stuff

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SYRACUSIAN said:

And yet, he was the only one who got the military bust 8 escudos right at first (AU58), but unfortunately he switched his grade to MS61. Moral of the story here is to go with the first instinct, which is usually the right one.

Considering that all four competitors graded the piece 61-62, NGC was probably "wrong" to call it a 58.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.