Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinions: Gem BU or Whizzed?

Comments

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks strange to me. Possibly it’s the photo technique but the surfaces don’t seem to demonstrate natural luster.

• Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

It looked ok to me untill I thought about it... Then I couldn't decide if I had just spooked myself or was on to something - So I thought I'd ask some experts.

Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

Problem coin, avoid

mirabela
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks whizzed to me.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

not original

Trade $'s
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Thanks all for confirming my thoughts. Some happy winner gets to pay $706.00 for that cent.

Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has been messed with, and not very successfully.
    You made a good decision to avoid this one.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't look right to me.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the listing.
    Description: Amazing Red-Brown Surface. Very Common Die Break along the stars on the obverse. A stunning coin with very smooth problem free surface!

Larry

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it's been cleaned, retoned, and tooled.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a Processed coin. Miss Liberty got a new perm and has entered new fields!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is definitely not a natural surface....looks buffed with a Dremel brush..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP coin is ugly, shiny, polished. Probably worth under $100 and it sells for a lot of money?

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not think it has been whizzed (would be more fake luster), but definitely altered surfaces - not sure if polished or what.

• Options

Disgusting looking coin!

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    I do not think it has been whizzed (would be more fake luster), but definitely altered surfaces - not sure if polished or what.

I think there has clearly been a movement of metal. The surfaces look unnatural, overly smooth, and it appears to have no natural luster left. The coin does not react to light normally. An original coin with that much meat would certainly have some original luster left. I agree with those saying that it was likely worked on with a Dremel tool to smooth the fields and simulate luster. I also agree that the color looks funky, like someone may have done a botch drop trying to recolor it to hide some of the unnatural appearance of the fields.

• Options
    edited December 2, 2017 5:30PM

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMHO the coin is majorly whizzed

1997-Present

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

And to think they probably had a nice choice unc coin from the Randall Hoard to start with, and wound up mucking it up like this!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2017 11:47AM

1820 is one of the Randall Hoard years, and I strongly suspect this is simply an overdipped example that has retoned. I see no obvious signs of whizzing, but a coin that's an obvious "pass" to me because the surfaces have obviously been messed with.

While there are a few examples of these coins that look like Bill Jones' superb representative posted above, this is a more typical look:

If you search Heritage archives for 1820 N-13 in mint state you'll find many, many examples to look at: https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=790+231&Nty=1&Ntt=1820+n-13+ms&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&ic10=OtherResults-ViewAll-071515

Almost all of them have spotting to some degree. These coins have a very distinctive look, having allegedly been buried in Georgia in casks underground for decades. When you see a coin that doesn't look like these, your numismatic antennae should stand at attention:

Some info on the Randall Hoard: https://www.pcgs.com/news/a-history-of-major-us-hoards-randall-hoard/

Hope this helps...Mike

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it's been whizzed but definitely still a problem coin.

Either some kind of polishing or a crafty photoshop procedure with plenty of shenanigans and chicanery going on.

RFR!!!!

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a brown example that retains cartwheel luster. The ebay coin is worth about 40 dollars tops

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭

You can't beat the strike, but you can certainly beat the surfaces.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

cleaned, and retoned

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in agreement with the others, but I might also venture to guess that the hair has also been retooled. Avoid! I think there are only 3 or 4 copper dealers I'll purchas from these days, and ebay ain't one of them!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just for fun, another one to look at. Undoubtedly a Randall Hoard coin.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2017 2:08PM

Probably dipped with further chemical experimentation.

Problem coin with horrific Photoshop juicing, so your smart to stay away.

Edited to add:

Missed the sale price the first time looking... A fool and his money just got separated :p

Kinda reminds me of when someone buys a rusted out shell of a 1960-70's muscle car, missing the power train and interior. Once restored they have twice as much money tied up in it then had they originally bought one completed.

This turd needs to be professionally recolored and then its still a problem coin just more presentable.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check out the other items offered from this seller.

Brilliant white MS silver coins and MS copper coins have definitely been 'altered' by the Photoshop edit choices.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file