Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Chile 1882 Peso - PCGS MS 65 - Top Pop - Good deal?

Anyone win or see this Chilean Peso coin on GreatCollections last week? Any thoughts on the grade, coin, and/or final price. It ended at $416.25 with the fee.
I don't collect these but the design and the fact that it's a top pop had me interested even though I didn't win the auction.

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/517556/Chile-1882-So-Silver-Peso-KM-1421-PCGS-MS-65-Toned

Comments

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great price for the buyer!

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw that an NGC MS 65 example sold for a little over $700 a few years ago on Heritage. So is that closer to market value?

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could it be the world coin buyers are not following Great Collections auctions?

edited November 27, 2017 6:57PM

So what do you all think is a fair price for this coin?

@pruebas said:
    Could it be the world coin buyers are not following Great Collections auctions?

For some world coins, I do think there are less people looking. However, many of the Australian, Chinese, Mexican, and Russian coins do often reach prices close to those of ebay (and occasionally above).

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree.

I've sold a few modern bullion-esque things on GC (including China, Australia, and Mexico, but no Russia) and though I'm not quite right on figuring what an individual coin might bring, so far my totals have been pretty close to what I was expecting.

I'm too chicken to consign the less modern and more far ranging stuff yet. Like conder tokens for example. I suspect it will get all the eyeballs (well enough of them) someday. I noticed them on SixBid lately, so that will enhance a broader exposure.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Attractive coin.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

I missed out...forgot to jack up the bid at the last minute. But then, I didn't have any idea of what it would go for.

• Looking at just the grade, that price is on the cheap side. Looking at the coin, I think it's a fair price. There are some things that detract from eye appeal.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's great!

• ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

It looks pretty good to me, some mottled toning but I've seen much worse US in PCGS 66 holders. But then I wouldn't pay close to retail without seeing in hand.

• bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did put in a bid on the op coin but wasn’t willing to chase it. I think the buyer is probably pretty happy with the price.