Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

NYINC 2018

Just booked my room at the Grand Hyatt for 1/11-13. Super excited. If anyone wants to meet, let me know.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm flying in on the morning of the 11th and the wife is joining me later. She's never been to NYC, so I'll probably spend less time at the show and more time exploring the sights and sounds. Staying at the Grand Hyatt, as well, so we'll definitely hang out.

By the way, if anyone has recommendations on places to visit - please share. I've been to NYC a few times, but never did the touristy things. Right now I'm thinking a walking tour through the Central Park, hitting up The Metropolitan Museum of Art (maybe including the Cloisters) / Frick Collection / MoMA. Catching a Broadway show, maybe a visit to the Statue of Liberty (wife also has French roots, so she might enjoy the history), the Rockefeller Center (she loves winter / Christmas stuff), maybe the immigration museum at Stanton Island.... A food tour / stroll through the West Village perhaps?

• NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2017 1:27PM

As a fan of all things old, my favorite museums are the Met, Cloisters, and Museum of Natural History.

January can be a little cold and the park may not be that pleasant, but if it's mild it's nice to walk around. You can check out the Egyptian obelisk in the park, the only one on this side of the world.

Times Square is a madhouse of people and commercialization, and gives me anxiety, but I guess it's worth visiting if you haven't been there, or if you pass by on your way to see a show.

There are lots of good eateries in Manhattan, you'll have no problem finding good (albeit expensive) food.

If your wife likes Christmas stuff you could check out Macy's Herald Square but I'm not sure when they take down their decor. They used to sell coins there, but that department closed 20 years ago.

• NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I plan to be at NYINC Fri-Sat

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2017 1:47PM

Don't forget High Line Park then east village for sake and ramen to warm up.

You can also take the 7 express train ($2.75 each way with 20-25 min ride) from time square to Fresh meadow park in queens to check the Unisphere.

edited November 20, 2017 1:57PM

@Nap said:

Times Square is a madhouse of people and commercialization, and gives me anxiety, but I guess it's worth visiting if you haven't been there, or if you pass by on your way to see a show.

Stay away from the area near bus terminal during night time. Lot of hustlers, homeless, drug dealer etc . l used to run two retail stores there. (One on 7th ave and one on 8th Ave.)

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    By the way, if anyone has recommendations on places to visit - please share. I've been to NYC a few times, but never did the touristy things. Right now I'm thinking a walking tour through the Central Park, hitting up The Metropolitan Museum of Art (maybe including the Cloisters) / Frick Collection / MoMA. Catching a Broadway show, maybe a visit to the Statue of Liberty (wife also has French roots, so she might enjoy the history), the Rockefeller Center (she loves winter / Christmas stuff), maybe the immigration museum at Stanton Island.... A food tour / stroll through the West Village perhaps?

I enjoyed seeing you here last time. Hope to see you again soon!

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

I intend to be there Thursday, pretending to be a professional. Thereafter, as many times as needed.
    For fancy dining, I go to the Russian Tea Room; a tradition for me, dating back to before my college years.
    I always suggest going up to Broadway and 110th. Check out St John the Divine. North 4 blocks to the Columbia University campus. From there, head up to Riverside Church and Grant's Tomb. Find out who is laid to rest there.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

I plan to be there too. I've never been to any coin show, so it will be a first time for me. Will probably suffer from terrible jet-lag throughout the trip, and I don't plan on venturing out too much. NYC weather in January is not for me!

Awesome suggestions everyone! Zohar - looking forward to seeing you again! @harasha , we can all pretend to be professionals on Thursday ;) I also already have a couple of bottles of red set aside to uncork at @MrEureka 's table afterwards! @desslok - when are you flying in?

• desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki I'll be landing at around 3:30PM on Thursday 1/11.

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki,

How much time do you have? What are your primary interests? Are you and your wife very active people (i.e., like to walk/hike a lot)?

A museum like the Met consumes an entire day, at least. Taking in a musical, or opera, or ballet at night is a great way to finish off a nice day at the museum. Lincoln Center nearby too.

For lots of walking, there is the High Line (mentioned already) and the Brooklyn Bridge. On either side of Manhattan are nice scenic paths hugging the Hudson and East rivers.

Other places of random interest are:

• South Street Seaport, with shops, restaurants, small museums and a Turkish bathhouse
    • East Village, with a post-WW2 era Ukrainian community (try Veselka, a local UA eatery) and a more recent expat Japanese community with great Japanese restaurants (I used to live in the East Village, hence my online handle)
    • Chinatown/Confucius Plaza, where the original community pre-date the Cantonese and Taiwanese immigrants, with nice tea shops and restaurants
    • Little Italy, adjacent to Chinatown but much shrunken due to an encroaching Chinese population like what the Italian immigrants did to the original Jewish community (watch Crossing Delancy for context)
    • Rockefeller Center, Bryant Park
    • Lower East Side, if you want great local eateries and pubs (check out Katz's Deli -- of When Harry Met Sally fame but the food really is awesome!)
    • Empire State Building
    • The View -- rotating restaurant atop the Marriott Marquis in Times Square
    • NYU, West Village, Washington Square Park, Blue Note

One bit of advice: if the weather is very cold, then it is best that you walk mostly east/west (the streets) instead of north/south (the avenues) because of the wind. Those avenues form a wind tunnel effect.

Another piece of advice: avoid @Zohar because he has lost his mind.

EVP

Come to think of it, the last time I attended this show was around 20 years ago. I am pretty sure it was not in Grand Hyatt. It was a run down hotel near by. Anyhow, I live in Queens and work long hours throughout the weekend. However, if you guys ever need a tour guide, I may take a Saturday off. ;)

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

So... How long was the NY Int held at the Waldorf Astoria?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Canal street for the Wife, dinner at Sparks for steaks and cigar. Little Italy for lunch and Chan’s for night out with the Trans. Enjoy your visit.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

edited November 20, 2017 7:44PM

@Kkathyl said:
    Canal street for the Wife, dinner at Sparks for steaks and cigar. Little Italy for lunch and Chan’s for night out with the Trans. Enjoy your visit.

If she is looking for handbags and watches ;););) . They are now locating on the sidewalk between mott and elizabeth Street by hester Street. ( a block away from canal on little italy side)

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭

@coinkat NYINC was at Waldorf for about 13 years. It is mentioned on the website. It used to be held at the Trade Centers but that was before I started going.

This year (2018) will mark my 11th consecutive trek to NYINC. Will be there all day Friday with a couple of buddies.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be at FUN, the pre-NYINC auctions, and the NYINC. Will have a table at both shows. Always a great time!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

NYINC moved to the Waldorf-Astoria in 2001 because it’s prior venue (the World Trade Center) was destroyed that September. It was also moved to January from December that year.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d love to go but the cost (and time coming from Europe) of going from Europe is better directed towards auction purchases with appropriate representation

• savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am hoping to go. I’ve never been to this show before. Actually I’ve never been to any World/Ancient coin show before. I hope it isn't like the other big shows where the dealers only come for the wholesale action and collectors are just a nuisance.

@savitale said:
    I am hoping to go. I’ve never been to this show before. Actually I’ve never been to any World/Ancient coin show before. I hope it isn't like the other big shows where the dealers only come for the wholesale action and collectors are just a nuisance.

The NYINC is a big deal. The dealers really want to do retail business. They come from all over the world to setup at the venue. Yes, there is retail activity too, but a lot of it is done before the show starts or in rooms and suites away from the bourse.

• RMWRMW Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Wish I was going but not this year.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I booked a train ticket and hotel so I can visit Fri-Sat. Hope it's not a mistake skipping out on Thursday, but SO FAR life looks like it can handle what I booked. Still not 100% I can make it, but at least I have the cancellable/refundable reservations.

So, what do the non-US sellers prefer/accept in terms of payment? Cash, check, bullion, credit cards, bitcoin? I've been known to use a bit of bullion at Baltimore, but is that considered acceptable? I don't actually have any bitcoin but figured I should keep up with the times and see if it's offered.

As a boring retail customer, if you had to pick only Friday or Saturday, which would you pick?

@Stork said:

So, what do the non-US sellers prefer/accept in terms of payment? Cash, check, bullion, credit cards, bitcoin? I've been known to use a bit of bullion at Baltimore, but is that considered acceptable? I don't actually have any bitcoin but figured I should keep up with the times and see if it's offered.

This is largely the same for US-based dealers in Baltimore; many US-based dealers have overseas accounts and many overseas dealers have US accounts.

As a boring retail customer, if you had to pick only Friday or Saturday, which would you pick?

Friday.

• ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭

@Stork said:
    Well, I booked a train ticket and hotel so I can visit Fri-Sat. Hope it's not a mistake skipping out on Thursday, but SO FAR life looks like it can handle what I booked. Still not 100% I can make it, but at least I have the cancellable/refundable reservations.

I always wanted to attend this show, but it has never worked out. I too would take the train - so much nicer than flying or driving. Wonder if this will be the year.

• jdmernjdmern Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

I'll be there Friday for sure...

If the weather's halfway decent, there are actually some very nice parks off the beaten path in the city, where you might actually forget you're in NYC... Brookyln Bridge Park has some fantastic views of the city...

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m now thinking about making this show... hope it works out

@Boosibri said:
    I’m now thinking about making this show... hope it works out

That's the spirit, Brian!

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can second the emotion that the Metropolitan Museum of Art takes several hours to even skim the surface. I checked the Metropolitan Opera lineup, popular ones all, Merry Widow on the 11th, Tosca on the 12th, Cav and Pag for the Saturday 13th matinee and Nozze di Figaro on Saturday night.

If you do walk to the southeast corner of Central Park (near the Heritage offices) at Fifth Ave and E. 59 St., check out the Robert E. Lee statue by Augustus Saint-Gaudens. The figure of Victory leading the horseback General Lee became the Liberty on the Saint-Gaudens double eagle (as I got to explain back in September in French to a couple of tourists who spoke no English). I also really enjoyed strolling through lower Central Park, but it was pleasant, sunny weather (and I got to see Sondra Radvanovsky open the Met Opera season that night, singing Bellini's Norma opposite Joyce Di Donato and Joseph Calleja--a great show despite some odd moments).

I hope you all have fun! Too cold for me, and I am not doing much World coin deals these days.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

I suspect the bourse will be more of a traditional larger Hotel Ballroom type set up instead of the 17th or 18th floor spread at the Waldorf. The atmosphere at the Waldorf was half the fun even though it was crowded not not always easy to maneuver.

Wow. I had no idea this was a 10 day event. I just looked at the schedule and counted 16 auction sessions. I wonder if dealers buy at the auctions and then resell on Friday/Saturday.

How many dealers usually set up at this show?

All info here: http://www.nyinc.info/

Current roster has 95+

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay
  • ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Not going this time, but would like to know what you all think of the new venue. The Waldorf seemed to be a mess to me, like going through a maze to get right room.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to try and make it !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

bidask - where have you been!

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I took a hiatus from coins.

I recently sold all of my US coin collection ....

But the dark side still beckons.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

@savitale said:
    Wow. I had no idea this was a 10 day event. I just looked at the schedule and counted 16 auction sessions.

Actually I mis-remembered. It is 19 auction sessions.

Ignoring the auctions, do you think it is worth it to stay overnight and attend for 2 days, Friday and Saturday? I'm interested in ancient Greek coins.

• coinboynyccoinboynyc Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

I never spent a lot of time at the NYINC because the show was too rich for my blood. What I got out of it was buying the new edition of Coins of England from Charles Davis, and picking up some free publications and auction catalogues. I was essentially paying admission to buy a book, but since I'd have had to pay shipping if I ordered it online it all evened out.

I stopped going when they raised the admission from $10 to $20, without increasing the value of the discount coupon. With the coupon it only cost me $5, but now it would cost me $15 - and even if they did start making the coupon worth $10, it would still mean I'd be paying $10 for the privilege of buying a book.

Let's Go Mets!
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinboynyc, it costs a lot of money to run a multi-room multi-day show at the Waldorf-Astoria.

I was a bit surprised by the $20 admission fee too. I suppose it’s a rational decision that they have chosen to weed out the tire-kickers instead of maximizing attendance.

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@savitale said:

@savitale said:
    Wow. I had no idea this was a 10 day event. I just looked at the schedule and counted 16 auction sessions.

Actually I mis-remembered. It is 19 auction sessions.

Ignoring the auctions, do you think it is worth it to stay overnight and attend for 2 days, Friday and Saturday? I'm interested in ancient Greek coins.

It's well worth staying for the auctions but I'd say you could do the show floor in one day if you wanted.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

Is there a "pecking order" for the auction companies with respect to Greek coins? I can't stay for the whole week but I would be interested in attending the best / most interesting one.

• CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

We will have our table there again. We will also be attending the FUN show with a table the week before. It's really nice that the two shows don't conflict these days. Makes for a long couple of weeks though.

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

@savitale

I don't know exactly what the offerings at auctions are this year, but based on precedent, if I had to pick one auction for ancient Greek coins at NYINC, it would definitely be CNG's Triton sale.

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • coinboynyccoinboynyc Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

@savitale said:
    I was a bit surprised by the $20 admission fee too. I suppose it’s a rational decision that they have chosen to weed out the tire-kickers instead of maximizing attendance.

That's one way to look at it. But you never know which of the "tire-kickers" you're weeding out could have developed into active members of the numismatic community.

And, in my case, even though I went primarily to get the new Coins of England, a number of factors have dampened my enthusiasm in the book, to the extent that I have not been ordering it by mail. But if it still cost me $5 to get in, I'd probably still go and get it each year.

Let's Go Mets!

I don't have a large budget either and usually there is not much of what I collect on the bourse floor. However, I have been very lucky in finding some obscure items from dealers that I only get to see at this show.

For me one advantage of going on Friday is the lot viewing for a couple of the auctions that I plan to participate in. Another is meeting up with fellow collectors from this forum and having conversations that are more meaningful then what I could write in messages on the forum. So the $50 train ticket and $15 admission is worth it.

Gene

Collector of:
    My Ebay

@CIVITAS said:
    @savitale

I don't know exactly what the offerings at auctions are this year, but based on precedent, if I had to pick one auction for ancient Greek coins at NYINC, it would definitely be CNG's Triton sale.

Wow. I just looked at the Triton sale. There are some amazing Greek coins in that auction (to a newbie). Now I'm really torn, the Triton viewing and sale is on Monday/Tuesday but the show is on Friday/Saturday and I can't possibly stay for that whole time. Would anyone mind covering for me at work that week? :)

So who is going... I am sort of interested in seeing how the new location will work out even though I will miss the Waldorf