Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NYINC 2018

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still intend to be there. My boss tried to rope me into a scheduled discussion on the effect of the Burlington decision on insurance claims, but I said only if you force me. Which so far he hasn't. So far.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Burlington decision and it's effect on insurance claims... Has the makings for a great Seinfeld episode.

If you are forced to attend, present or participate be firm in your commitment that you are not responsible for bringing coffee for the group.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

A small bit of advice from an x-N Yorker. Wear a money belt under your shirt. Just saying...

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow this is soon. Still plan to be there Fri/Sat.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be there .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

I plan to be there; thinking about trying out the Thursday preview day.

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

I will be there Friday. Looking forward to my favorite show of the year.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bump

I’m super excited and can’t wait! My budget is smaller than hoped, but I’m sure I’ll have a great time.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2018 3:33AM

I wish I could go. I'm just in the Hudson Valley but I don't do NYC. Is it still held on a high floor? I didn't see that on the website. I think it would be worth the entry fee just to see the things for sale, even knowing I could never afford most of them.

Edit to add: I hope to see some pictures, if there are displays especially.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2018 10:13PM

I will be there in and out Thursday-Saturday. Have a lot going on outside. I made a significant purchase on the Platinum Night auction.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, how am I to recognize all you people? I'll be dragging in Thursday by train--either tired or well rested depending on the napping situation, then ready to stroll around on Friday and Saturday.

• Options

@Stork said:
    So, how am I to recognize all you people? I'll be dragging in Thursday by train--either tired or well rested depending on the napping situation, then ready to stroll around on Friday and Saturday.

Good question. I have a spotty record of meeting new people at coin shows due to bouts of brain cramping. I have contact info for @Zohar, @TwoKopeiki and @Nap and I think I can recognize a few others.

Would someone like to volunteer to organize a Friday meet-and-greet? Perhaps something simple like breakfast at 8:30am somewhere specific, or 10:05am at a specific dealer's table (I nominate Andy Lustig's table)?

Since I am staying at the Grand Hyatt Thursday to Saturday, I am probably also able to meet Thursday evening for dinner and drinks if desired.

• Options

And now the freakin' LIRR is having problems. Blast it.
    Stork, I really would like to meet you since you post so many intriguing items. Thinning hair, obese, glasses and relatively short; I am a stereotypical doofus. And just to complete the picture, I probably will have pouch thing slung around my shoulder.

DPOTD
  • Options

Breakfast good for me!

Is there a place at the Grand Hyatt ?

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am planning to be there Friday... Looking forward to it.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@bidask said:
    Breakfast good for me!

Is there a place at the Grand Hyatt ?

Breakfast there is expensive. For example, a 2-egg platter costs $20. Zucker's Bagels & Smoked Fish is a block south on Lex and has my juices flowing... But, I am open to suggestions.

I have two not coin-related goals this weekend: eat a lobster roll from Luke's Lobster Shack (the one in Garment District is nearest), and eat a nice bagel/cream cheese/lox sandwich for breakfast. I am leaving Saturday afternoon, so I can be a team player.

(I'm an ex-Manhattanite, trading that in for a fenced-in back yard, trees and bushes, and fresh air. But, I sure do miss my City comforts!)

EVP

• Options

An 8:30 AM meet is kind of tough if you are coming in by LIRR, especially the Oyster Bay line.

DPOTD
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s my suggestion as I eat here a lot because my office is across the street (actually I usually get take out and eat at my desk).

Bistro Marketplace at the corner of 41 St and Park Ave (facing the Park Ave viaduct). It’s a salad bar place where they weigh everything and charge $8.99/pound, but you can choose whatever you want in any quantity you want. For breakfast, the bar is breakfast foods, all kinds of eggs, meats, fruit. They also have a sandwich counter and plenty of inside seating. A block from the venue.

Another option is the Grand Central Food Court, but I believe that’s better for lunch.

I’ll meet whomever there at 8:30 Friday.

EVP, the Pershing Square Grill has a decent lobster roll (under the viaduct).

• Options

By the way @Stork , there were MANY Japanese dealers at the Heritage auction last night. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many at a US show, including at the Dr Norman Jacobs auction a few years back.

Per @MrEureka they were here for the high-grade English coins.

Anyway, you may want to make a few acquaintances so you can buy from them via email in the future.

• Options

Thanks @pruebas! I was hoping this might be the case.

@harasha said:
    I am a stereotypical doofus. And just to complete the picture, I probably will have pouch thing slung around my shoulder.

Pretty sure we are all a bit doofus-y :smiley:

I'm female so that narrows it down a bit--middle aged/not short/not thin/wearing glasses and I suppose it's time to commit--the purse will be purple.

I'm very terrible with names and faces, so if I have met anyone before please forgive me if I have a blank look on my face for a few moments.

Breakfast sounds good, but so does maybe having an informally planned meet up spot later on in case the breakfast hour doesn't suit (or if one oversleeps because their dog alarm clock is not present).

Not knowing either venue personally, how about Friday 8:30 at the Bistro Marketplace (the bagel sounds heavenly but the full breakfast spread might have a wider appeal), and then perhaps a dealer table meet up later.

Oh, and is this one of those stick-on name tag type venues like Baltimore? If so, perhaps a small ink dot on the bottom left of the tag as a 'darkside mark'.

• Options

I’m ok with Zuckers Bagels as well, I just don’t know the seating arrangements since I haven’t been there.

We could also maybe meet at my office in a conference room (bringing our own breakfast from outside and having drinks from the office). This would work better if we want to show off coins in a more private setting. It’s a 2 minute walk to the Hyatt but would require registration with the building security.

• Options

the purse will be purple.
    Cool. My favorite color. As if my collection of amethyst specimens was not a hint.

DPOTD
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zucker's Bagels on Friday at 8:30 sounds good to me. I'll bring the wife.

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

@Zohar said:
    I make a significant purchase on the Platinum Night auction.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2018 8:31PM

@worldcoinguy said:

@Zohar said:
    I make a significant purchase on the Platinum Night auction.

yup - agreed damn Z :# someone needs to lock him up in a playpen.

Wish I could make it - I don't see how so y'all enjoy!

• Options

Bagels then! YUM.

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Zucker's Bagels on Friday at 8:30 sounds good to me. I'll bring the wife.

I will be there .

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won't be there in time for 8:30 breakfast, but maybe if there is another meeting later on Friday I can stop by.

• Options

I might do a write-up later, after I recover from the traveling, but honestly, I was not too impressed.
    Andy was very busy, so I did not want to interrupt him. Met Josephus and TwoKopeiki. EVillageProwler was rumoured to have appeared, but I was leaving to catch a train and missed him.
    Schulman, from the Netherlands, had not set up yet, but the younger one did catch ahold of me. I hope to connect, maybe tomorrow.

DPOTD
  • Options

Addendum:

The inventory on the floor did not seem that exciting to me. Many of the usual players did not bring their full load, or has stuff I've seen before.

And, the floor layout seemed ok to me (everyone was in one room, unlike before at Waldorf), but the aisles weren't numbered. But otherwise it seemed fairly busy to me for Professional Preview Day.

• Options
    jdmernjdmern Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

Will stop by Zuckers this AM...

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• Options

I agree with EVillageProwler on the lack of exciting inventory and the low load. I also agree with comment on how busy it was. However, all those people crowded together created problems with noise level and congestion. I had thought that the Waldorf venue was bad, but I fear the crowds to come.
    Anyway, I will be there this morning (Friday) at least, so we will see.

DPOTD
  • Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh man, I’m on my way now and that’s not a very enthusiastic report. Hopefully as a newbie I’ll be easily impressed.

• Options

Great bagel! Time to go brave the crowds for what really is a solitary event as a customer. Harasha, the purse is indeed purple.

Cathy/Stork

• Options

On my way in now, hope to see some of you!

• Options
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apologies for missing the breakfast bagel - someone shut off the alarm this morning and not admitting it.

• Options

I'm sorry I missed you! I was there from about 10:30 on, but took a break around 2pm to finish my bagel breakfast (thank goodness for in room refrigerators). Will you be back tomorrow? I very much blew my budget on a coin I would have regretted passing on. The only solution is obviously to pretend it never happened and enjoy tomorrow with the four checks I have left in the checkbook.

Had a great time meeting people and putting faces to names and names to online handles! No one ever looks like I expect--taller/shorter/older/younger etc.

I may have to go back for another bagel tomorrow. The real question is, will I make it to the hotel's exercise room or not...

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

The El Dorado auction is about to start....exciting!

• Options
    edited January 14, 2018 4:53PM

My second day, Friday, went as follows:

Met a bunch of forum members at a nearby bagel shop: @bidask, @desslok, @jdmern, and @Stork. I'm so glad I suggested that place, because I really enjoyed my bagel sandwich. In fact, I may go again Saturday for breakfast.

Having an Early Bird badge, I made my way to the bourse floor just after 9:30am and go settle up with Atlas for a really cool coin. (Due to local tax laws, they must ship the coin to me.)

GERMAN STATES. Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel. Heinrich Julius. 1596 (hh) AR Thaler. NGC MS62. Goslar. 9-fold arms with central shield, 3 helmets above, wildman at right, titles of Heinrich Julius / Date divided around Victory holding wreath flying left above lion passant left, double margin legends. MB 270; Dav.-9090.

Falsehood Thaler.

This coin is part of a series of politically themed talers issued by the Prince who was in a long running dispute with his nobles over his plans to reform the legal system for the principality. At the time, the legal system involved judgment from a panel of elders (similar to the Anglo-Saxon witenagemot). The Prince wanted to change the legal system to be more like the Romans, where it is heavily codified.

After settling my affairs regarding the Falsehood Taler, I seek help to do pricing research on another coin that I had been eying. There is a third coin from Thursday that I really wanted, but couldn't think of a way to afford that so I stopped worrying about that. (That third coin was a rare Italian States multiple taler.)

Eventually, I make my way to deal with the second coin of the day. It's a bit pricey for my remaining budget, but was able to make the deal because I had a trade-in coin and the dealer was nice enough to go the extra mile to make the deal happen.

Here is the image from acsearch.info:

GREAT BRITAIN. Charles I. AR Half Crown. NGC MS63. Exeter. Struck 1643-1645. SCBC 3065.

Struck on a slightly irregular flan, it is slightly double and weakly struck on the obverse and reverse. The surfaces are very flashy and lustrous with light champagne toning.

By now, it is mid afternoon and I am with Nap and we are hungry but wanted to save our appetite for dinner (we had plans to go to Katz's Deli!) so we decided to rest a bit in my room and munch on Cheez-It crackers and just chat.

While in my room, I get a call from a light-side collector who is on the bourse asking me pricing opinion on a number of dark-side coins. Sigh... I tell Nap that I need to go back down to rescue my friend from getting into trouble.

Nap runs into @superpsychmd and we decide to go to dinner together. Ultimately, we opted for a closer venue -- a nice Persian restaurant that we can walk to. Katz's will have to wait. Sad.

After dinner, I blow off the auction and just get ready for bed, TV and writing this.

I am undecided on my plan for Saturday; my current plan is to leave right after I eat breakfast.

EVP

• Options

nice Persian restaurant

Colbeh?

I would have liked to stay around, but considering the dreadful scheduling of the Oyster Bay line (you may have noticed that theme in my posts over the years), leaving the show to coincide withe that scheduling is never far from my mind. :/

DPOTD
  • Options

@harasha said:
    nice Persian restaurant

Colbeh?

I would have liked to stay around, but considering the dreadful scheduling of the Oyster Bay line (you may have noticed that theme in my posts over the years), leaving the show to coincide withe that scheduling is never far from my mind. :/

harasha. - most of your commentary involves the train logistics... is it that bad?

• Options

@EVillageProwler said:
    By now, it is mid afternoon and I am with Nap and we are hungry but wanted to save our appetite for dinner (we had plans to go to Katz's Deli!) so we decided to rest a bit in my room and munch on Cheez-It crackers and just chat.
    EVP

Yep, this happened. Cheez-it and coins. The stuff coin legends are made of. All my coins seem to have a speckled orange color to them now.

Friday was a fun day for me. I met a bunch of people and had a great time. I didn't buy any coins on the floor, but I won a lot in Triton and it's an elusive coin that I've been trying to find for years. I'll write a post on it soon.

Stork and Pruebas, I apologize for only the briefest of hello's. And sorry I missed you Harasha.

• Options

most of your commentary involves the train logistics... is it that bad?

Returning to any station along the Oyster Bay line, from New York (or Brooklyn, for that matter), is a scheduling nightmare. The trains do not run that frequently. On the weekends, however, I can drive to Mineola where parking is ample (for a $5 fee). During the work week, that is not a real option.

DPOTD
  • Options
    superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭

It was a pleasure meeting with nap and evillage prowler for dinner at Miraj Persian restaurant between park and lex on 34th street. We missed the early bird which ends at 6pm and well worth it if an auction doesn't interfere. Anyway enjoyed the day and picked up a nice 1858 maundy set. Not sure if Sunday will be worth another look but I guess the weather and my energy level will determine that

• Options
    edited January 13, 2018 5:11PM

@TwoKopeiki,

Glad to see you on Thursday, and glad that you and your wife got to enjoy NYC outside the confines of a geeky coin show. I don't recall when you go home, but I hope you get to enjoy the city some more.

@superpsychmd said:
    It was a pleasure meeting with nap and evillage prowler for dinner at Miraj Persian restaurant between park and lex on 34th street. We missed the early bird which ends at 6pm and well worth it if an auction doesn't interfere. Anyway enjoyed the day and picked up a nice 1858 maundy set. Not sure if Sunday will be worth another look but I guess the weather and my energy level will determine that

Your energy level is so much higher than mine. I am very sorry that I was barely upright and awake during dinner. But, the place seemed very nice. Thanks for taking us there!

Saturday is get-away day for me, and I woke up feeling much better. Cold nearly fully conquered, feeling energetic and decided to get my bagel sandwich, go to the nearby Chase ATM, and then go to the show to say my prolonged goodbyes.

My first stop is my friend and Italian connection, with whom I struck up a prolonged conversation about non-coin stuff. Before I leave him, I casually mention a special coin at another Italian dealer's table and he told me to stay at his table and he will make it happen for me. True to his word, I get the coin and hand over no money. Yes, you read that correctly. And what is this coin?

It is a massive double taler/crown-sized coin. Per Krause and Davenport, there are 5 different types (or listings) of 30 Tari coins from Sicily, dated 1732 (Dav-1413), 1733 (Dav-1414), 1785 (C-37/Dav-1416), 1791 (C-37a/Dav-1420), 1793 (C-38/Dav-1422). But within the Italian numismatic community, they consider the 1732 and 1733 issues to be a single type with minor differing in the reverse legend and thus there are only four types. With this acquisition, I am now missing only the 1785 (and the 1733 sub-type).

ITALY, Sicily. Carlo IV d'Asburgo. 1720-1734. AR Oncia da 30 Tari (73.69g, 6h). Dated 1732. Palermo mint. Simone Maurigi, mint master.

CAROL • III • D • G • SICIL • ET • HIER • REX •, Laureate head right, C.P. below / OBLITA • EX • AVRO • ARGENTEA • RESVRGIT •, Sun above phoenix rising from flame, date.

A note about the ruler Charles. The obverse legend says CAROLUS III because that is his title as Archduke of Austria. But he is also Charles VI, HRE, as well as Charles II of Bohemia and Charles IV of Sicily.

This coin was in HA's September 2017 Long Beach auction (3057), lot 31159 where it did not sell: Here is the listing

After excitedly showing the coin to a few friends and finishing up my farewells, I leave. My dog seemed happy to see me, sort of. I try to take a nap on the sofa with him, but he disses me and goes off to his own bed in a nearby room. Ingrate.

Thus ends another NYINC. New venue, same folks, same excitement at seeing old friends and making new ones. And of course, the anticipation of finding that special coin or two. Including the auctions, this year I came away with all but one special coin (the nice-but-not-actually-special coin was the Venice Ducato).

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2018 6:50PM

Thank you for the report.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television