Authentic? I only have images, not the coin in hand. TIA

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would expect the date to be more worn down.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure, but do not like the mark to the left of the 'D'...Though it could be random. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

To my eyes it looks kosher, but I'm not an expert.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks ok to me at first glance. The inside of the D appears to be the right triangular shape.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

YES! Now look on the Internet for a clue to this coin's authenticity. It is on the obverse. The diagnostic clue can be "transferred" to a counterfeit die but that did not happen here. I >:) will answer tonight if no one gets it.

• Options

Are you referring to the tiny die crack from the bust to the rim @ 5:00?

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

I always look for the bottom of the 1 & 9 in date being in a straight line with top corner of the D mintmark if a line were drawn, looks good to me.

• Options

@jedm said: "Are you referring to the tiny die crack from the bust to the rim @ 5:00?"

Bingo! Thanks for the info! BTW, this is only on some genuine 14-D coins.

@kevinstang said: "I always look for the bottom of the 1 & 9 in date being in a straight line with top corner of the D mintmark if a line were drawn,"

This is not reliable. There are several different mintmark positions on the genuine coins.

• Options

After answering I took out my ANACS VF-30 example and there was NO die crack... So my example is either an earlier die example or another die altogether, correct?

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

Authentic, yes. Pretty or choice, no.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the information.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree it is authentic.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks authentic and worth little. A $20 coin to most.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's authentic. No doubt. It is the die set that has the die crack from the rim to Lincolns coat.

I personally like this obverse die because of the marker.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's authentic. but a problem coin
    I recommend passing

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    edited November 22, 2017 5:23PM

@VanHalen said:

Please show me where I can buy one for $20. In fact, I'll pay $40 for one like I posted.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2017 5:24PM

It appears to be real to me, die crack and mint mark position both look good.

Like @PTVETTER, I'm not sure this would be the one I would have in my collection, but then again if you got it at a good price who are we to second guess?

FWIW, here's the example I own, and you can see the die crack (along with some gunk):

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice photos on the coin- I agree with others with this '14-D as being authentic. The scratch on the reverse at 9 o'clock is a bit distracting, and not sure this one would straight grade. The scrapes on obverse coat, and hair I could live with notwithstanding the reverse. I don't think this would straight grade because of reverse scratch; but, it's authentic.

Here is something to look out for on the 1914- D's....altered date. Dad ended up with this back in the '60's when he and my Uncle were purchasing a collection. I haven't seen my Unc's '14-D yet as they both "kept" one- he has his in the bank. Next time I head down to AL, he's going to pull it out for me to look at...

Thanks for sharing!

• Options

@VanHalen said: "Looks authentic and worth little. A $20 coin to most."

Really? Really? Perhaps you should check a price sheet to actually find out what "most" would value it before posting nonsense. :wink:

• Options

@PocketArt said:
    Nice photos on the coin- I agree with others with this '14-D as being authentic. The scratch on the reverse at 9 o'clock is a bit distracting, and not sure this one would straight grade. The scrapes on obverse coat, and hair I could live with notwithstanding the reverse. I don't think this would straight grade because of reverse scratch; but, it's authentic.

Here is something to look out for on the 1914- D's....altered date. Dad ended up with this back in the '60's when he and my Uncle were purchasing a collection. I haven't seen my Unc's '14-D yet as they both "kept" one- he has his in the bank. Next time I head down to AL, he's going to pull it out for me to look at...

Thanks for sharing!

I'm looking to fill a space in an album, so not slabbable isn't a big deal to me. Thanks.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    YES! Now look on the Internet for a clue to this coin's authenticity. It is on the obverse. The diagnostic clue can be "transferred" to a counterfeit die but that did not happen here. I >:) will answer tonight if no one gets it.

In my opinion you insider2 are a very good educator.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    @VanHalen said: "Looks authentic and worth little. A $20 coin to most."

Really? Really? Perhaps you should check a price sheet to actually find out what "most" would value it before posting nonsense. :wink:

A raw, heavily damaged '14-D with about good details? Take to any dealer and see what they offer you.

I wouldn't give $20 for it.

• Options
    edited November 22, 2017 6:31PM

@ajaan said:

@VanHalen said:

Please show me where I can buy one for $20. In fact, I'll pay $40 for one like I posted.

Like I posted above. This coin is a heavily worn, heavily damaged POS. If you want to throw your money away go ahead. Take it to any dealer and you'll get $20 tops.

Just a heads up for you and Insider2.

Here's certified piece for $32 I'd compare it to: https://coins.ha.com/itm/lincoln-cents/1914-d

A far better piece than the OP's for $47:
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/lincoln-cents/1914-d-1c-damaged

As a final note: Heritage's current value for a certified, problem-free FR2 1914-D is $45-$60.

• Options

@VanHalen said:

@ajaan said:

@VanHalen said:

Like I posted above. This coin is a heavily worn, heavily damaged POS. If you want to throw your money away go ahead. Take it to any dealer and you'll get $20 tops.

Just a heads up for you and Insider2.

Here's certified piece for $32 I'd compare it to: https://coins.ha.com/itm/lincoln-cents/1914-d

A far better piece than the OP's for $47:
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/lincoln-cents/1914-d-1c-damaged

One again, I ask for you to show me where I can buy one for $20 today. Not a coin that sold 8 years ago. I really want to buy one.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

I didn't say you could "buy one today for $20". I said it's worth $20 to most dealers. Go ahead and throw whatever money you want at it.

Junk coins sell very cheap these days. That's a junk coin worth $20 wholesale today.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's it worth non-wholesale? Like an internet buyer.

• Options

@VanHalen said:
    I didn't say you could "buy one today for $20". I said it's worth $20 to most dealers. Go ahead and throw whatever money you want at it.

Junk coins sell very cheap these days. That's a junk coin worth $20 wholesale today.

Ok, so most dealers you know would rob... er, I mean offer $20 for the coin from a little old lady. I cannot argue with your experience. My experience is different. I know three major wholesale coin dealers and two small dealers who make an unbelievable (to me) business selling coins as this after they are slabbed or "raw." If a "doctor" turns this coin brown, your tune may change. Perhaps the old lady would walk out with $20.75. LOL!

For our education, I wish the OP would start a new discussion as a mock auction: "What is this coin worth to you?" After the serious bids pass $50 and the "jokers" here start posting stupid money, we'll have a better understanding of the coins value. My first bid is $60. :p

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2017 7:58PM

So the TL;DR answer is $60? :grin:

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:

Sorry. You are way off. I have seen too many of these sell to put the value that low.

Larry

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also have an empty hole in one of my albums, I'll continue the bid @ $65.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ldhair said:

@VanHalen said:

Sorry. You are way off. I have seen too many of these sell to put the value that low.

I agree....the coin the OP posted will sell for $60-$75 all day long.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are doing an album and you can pick this up for under $100 I think you did ok. Its not like you will make loads of money from it. Its just an ok coin to fill a tough hole.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do not discount these coins. 1914-D Lincolns, even problem coins, sell for decent money. It fills that nasty hole in collectors albums. It is what it is. not everyone wants a no problem, or a certified example.

The coin itself has a mystical quality to it. I yearned for one as a young numismatist, only able to purchase an example after I got older and was able to.

I have since handled (owned) 7 of them. I still have 2 low grade. The rest I dealt out to family for graduations and such.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

The 1914-D Lincoln has a special meaning to me also. It is the only Lincoln cent my Uncle couldn't find in circulation when he collected in the 30s, 40s, and 50s. He did snatch a 09-s VDB out of the wild.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2017 9:49AM

@VanHalen said: "Just a heads up for you and Insider2."

Thanks but no thanks. My hair is blond but it came out of a bottle! I only value "informed" opinions.

Trying to defend a ridiculous post by using the value of a HEAVILY DAMAGED coin that sold for $32 is more nonsense. Then, you post something that makes our case: "...a problem-free Fair coin "books" for $45-$60."
    Now you are talking, but $20? As I explained in a PM - I don't think so. ;) Happy Thanksgiving!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file