Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1964 Quarter proof re-engraved?

After a quick search, I couldn't find any variety attributes for a re-engraved 1964 quarter proof. Has anyone seen this for the 1964? How do I petition to get the variety recognized? Check out the reverse feathers. Quite a few have been touched up.

https://images.pcgs.com/TrueView/34176832_max.jpg

Comments

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dont know about the variety but a beautiful coin.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

quarter reverse varieties -> http://varietyvista.com/09b WQ Vol 2/Reverse Design Varieties.htm

to get variety recognized, have James Wiles attribute it -> http://varietyvista.com/Attribution Services.htm

to get PCGS to recognize it onto a slab, it needs to make it into the CherryPickers Guide volume 2

• Options

thank you! i'm thinking this is pretty common for them to touch up the worn dies... i saw another 1971 quarter with similar lines, but not to the same extent.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2017 10:47PM

Most likely detailing done to the dies by mint employees before use. I have seen this on other proofs as well, even cameo examples, which would suggest that the tooling was done even before the first proofs were struck.

Edited to add: It could also be after a use period where the dies are polished again and touched up. I think this feature is a pretty common occurrence that you are referring to, but it is interesting for sure. Nice example that you have there by the way also. You could send it to James Wiles, but as far as getting a variety designated for it, I don't think it will happen. Then again it could already have one.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a really cool coin.
    Good eye to catch it.
    It looks like reengraving/touch-up work to me.

• Options

@duder2 said:
    thank you! i'm thinking this is pretty common for them to touch up the worn dies... i saw another 1971 quarter with similar lines, but not to the same extent.

The wings are very common on early silver Washington quarters. The tail feathers are not and you have a special coin.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:

@duder2 said:

The wings are very common on early silver Washington quarters. The tail feathers are not and you have a special coin.

Agreed; this is a good find.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice catch... let us know if you send it for attribution and the results.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

What? A new poster with a "special coin" that is actually special?

I don't know much about these re-engraved coins but that looks like one, and a dramatic one at that.

• Options

After going back and doing some further research this re-engraving on the wings and between tail feathers appears on more than just the 64 proof. There are several examples for 62, 63, and 1964. It seems to be a common occurrence even the engraving between tail feathers. I still say send it or the true-view to James Wiles and see what he says

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgandollar1878 said:
    After going back and doing some further research this re-engraving on the wings and between tail feathers appears on more than just the 64 proof. There are several examples for 62, 63, and 1964. It seems to be a common occurrence even the engraving between tail feathers. I still say send it or the true-view to James Wiles and see what he says

I have seen the Engraving on the Wings back into the 50's proof and I think Proofartworks saw them on ones before. So there is no premium for Engraving on the Eagles Wings. BUT If the lines on the Tail Feathers ARE Raised than you have a winner if there incuse than no. Another member discovered the 1950 Proof With ETF after the 52 and 53 proofs were listed in the CPG so there is always a chance of another discovery.......

Good Luck Tom

https://pcgs.com/SetRegistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options

@1tommy said:

@morgandollar1878 said:

I have seen the Engraving on the Wings back into the 50's proof and I think Proofartworks saw them on ones before. So there is no premium for Engraving on the Eagles Wings. BUT If the lines on the Tail Feathers ARE Raised than you have a winner if there incuse than no. Another member discovered the 1950 Proof With ETF after the 52 and 53 proofs were listed in the CPG so there is always a chance of another discovery.......

Good Luck Tom

https://pcgs.com/SetRegistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

I agree with you. From what I have seen and observed, the re-engraving on the tail feathers seems to be pretty common at this point. It may be something, I am just not sure how much that something is. When there were 3.9 million minted for 1964, that is way more than the mintages for 52 and 53 so at this point I am pointing toward a possible common variety. It is a raised line that is between the fourth and fifth tail feather (when counting from left to right), but there are no other raised lines between the other tail feathers. That being said, I have other thoughts about what that raised line is other than re-engraving. I like questioning my own observations and thoughts.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

In addition to the many annual versions of re-engraved quarters you'll find several photos in the book United States Proof Coins 1936-1942.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    duder2duder2 Posts: 18 ✭✭

Thank you guys for the feedback! I will let you know what happens after sending it into James Wiles.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

The hand-engraved wing lines seem to be on all Type B reverese coins (all years, proof and business strike). I have yet to see one that doesn't have them. Never seen tailfeathers on a 64 touched up, though...

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

I just went through a roll of proof 1963 quarters - many had tailfeathers that look like yours. As far as I could tell the touch-up went in rather than out - which would not be on a final usage die, but rather a master hub

• Options
    duder2duder2 Posts: 18 ✭✭

i agree with ya about master hub. I was finally able to find a high powered microscope and didn't see any raised material. it was depressed - master hub.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

@duder2 said:
    i agree with ya about master hub. I was finally able to find a high powered microscope and didn't see any raised material. it was depressed - master hub.

Although it is still a very nice coin, without it being added to a late die usage it will probably not get any added premium.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file