Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any idea on how to remove haze from

CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

Removing haze or clouding on Silver proof coins? Mostly on older foreign silver proofs. I have tried several different recommendations but none seem to work. I may have to just send them off for conservation.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,

Comments

• Options
    SteveBellSteveBell Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

Isn't cleaning a bad thing?Are there exceptions to the rule?Sorry,still new so that's a legitimate question.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

You didn't say what you tried. Acetone is the usual fix. When it isn't enough a diluted ezEst bath is usually enough.
    Lance.

• Options

@lkeigwin said:
    You didn't say what you tried. Acetone is the usual fix. When it isn't enough a diluted ezEst bath is usually enough.
    Lance.

These are the two I have tried, both without success.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

• Options

I also tried I believe it was MS 70 on some junky silver proofs and didnt see any difference.

• Options

I dont care for MS 70 as I had to use a qtip to apply it. I dont feel comfortable rubbing a proof surface.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roll don't rub with the Q-tip. :)

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I were you I would find a non value coin with the same haze and treat it selectively with a weak acidic solution, like diluted muriatic acid. And as a counterpoint try a basic solution such as MS70, but you already tried that. If the coin has significant value send it to our hosts restoral services for an an opinion and solution.

• Options

Haven't tried muratic acid, I should have some left over from adjusting my pool. Thanks

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like the problem is not just 'haze' in the usual sense, like from moderate exposure to PVC. Rather, something has eaten a bit into the surface. Hopefully the muriatic acid trick will etch it away without severely impacting the Proof surfaces.
    Good luck!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try dipping the coin in pure ammonia for about 10 seconds, then rinse thoroughly with water. Do not re-dip. Try this on a very low value coin first. Haze should come off, but of course there is no guarantee that the surface is perfect after removal of the haze.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    thevolcanogodthevolcanogod Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

@RichieURich said:
    Try dipping the coin in pure ammonia for about 10 seconds, then rinse thoroughly with water. Do not re-dip. Try this on a very low value coin first. Haze should come off, but of course there is no guarantee that the surface is perfect after removal of the haze.

I have encountered modern proofs with haze that eZest hasn’t touched. Ammonia did the job.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haze leaves it’s mark. Have fun.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinCrazyPA said:

@lkeigwin said:
    Lance.

Some haze is there for good. If ezEst did not work, game over.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sand blasting works like a charm! ;):p

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would give the ammonia a try.....if that does not work, you could try the restoration process....not sure what that haze could be if it resisted the others you have tried. There is another method I have used.... Baking soda, aluminum foil and salt. Use boiling water, make a cup out of the foil.... after pouring in the water add the baking soda and salt...dissolve, do not rub the coins....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:

You need to clamp the coin in a vice so the sand blasting doesn't blow the coin away. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinCrazyPA said:
    Haven't tried muratic acid, I should have some left over from adjusting my pool. Thanks

Muriatic acid ruins silver

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't cleaning a bad thing?Are there exceptions to the rule?Sorry,still new so that's a legitimate question.

we had a light-hearted discussion about this yesterday with a customer. he had a coin that was described as "improperly cleaned" and I told him that leads me to believe that there's a proper way to clean a coin.

for your problem I would always start with the least offensive method and work forward. that is probably acetone, followed by a 50/50 EZEst/distilled water, followed by a rinse with well-agitated MS70. if one of those three isn't able to remove the haze then it may not be haze.

I have always thought that the most important component of any conservation attempt is the evaluation. always make certain you REALLY know what the problem is that your trying to help.

• Options

@keets said:

we had a light-hearted discussion about this yesterday with a customer. he had a coin that was described as "improperly cleaned" and I told him that leads me to believe that there's a proper way to clean a coin.

for your problem I would always start with the least offensive method and work forward. that is probably acetone, followed by a 50/50 EZEst/distilled water, followed by a rinse with well-agitated MS70. if one of those three isn't able to remove the haze then it may not be haze.

I have always thought that the most important component of any conservation attempt is the evaluation. always make certain you REALLY know what the problem is that your trying to help.

If you buy a brand new Corvette and on the way out of the dealership, some bird relieves itself on the hood, do you leave it there or do you clean it off? Those of you who believe "all cleaning is bad" I guess would leave the bird residue on the car. Most of us would clean the car's hood. As long as you don't use anything that compromises the original surfaces, this is considered removal of a surface contaminant and is not usually considered to be "cleaning".

Secondly, I stand by my earlier comments on the ammonia. In fact, I did a demonstration of that technique at my local coin club earlier this week and it was very successful. So if you haven't tried ammonia, the statement "if one of those three isn't able to remove the haze then it may not be haze" is not accurate, as in most cases (for example, 10 out of 10 coins at the coin club) the ammonia will remove the haze. Try it on a proof coin with haze that is worth $1 or less, and the ammonia will probably remove the haze. Haze is a surface contaminant and removing it while leaving the original surfaces unaffected is not usually considered to be "cleaning".

• Options

not wishing to be argumentative , but since we're standing by our opinions...............................if it isn't haze the ammonia won't work.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of good info here. Most important:

1. Evaluating the coin first.
    2. Start with the mildest product first.
    3. Don't rub your coin.
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

Meltdown, that's amazing.

I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be interested to hear what works, but yikes - if it were me I think I would learn to love haze or I would buy another coin. This sounds like some serious surgery being undertaken here.

Good luck.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love Purple Haze - almost 50 years old!

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

When a coin has pretty haze (peripheral light blue has on proof Ikes for example) it can raise the grade. Also, a coin with attractive haze has more potential buyers - those who like color and those who cannot wait to dip it!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Also, a coin with attractive haze has more potential buyers - those who like color and those who cannot wait to dip it!

Very good point. Someone might like it as is, and someone else might think there is gold (figuratively speaking) under that haze. Better to leave the haze and let them find out what is underneath. It could be a diamond in the rough, but most likely it is a lump of coal.

• Options

**I used 50/50 EZ Zest & water on this sucker... it turned out pretty good. **

50/50 is what I always use because it slows the reaction. I have had results similar to yours, especially on 50-60's Proofs and SMS issues.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had good luck with ms70 on light haze. Heavier haze required ezest...hope that helps!

• Options

@keets said:
    not wishing to be argumentative , but since we're standing by our opinions...............................if it isn't haze the ammonia won't work.

Quite true.

But your post stated that if acetone, EZ-est mixed with water, and MS-70 don't work, then it might not be haze. Which is certainly true.

My point, simply stated, is that it still might be haze, and if so, the ammonia might remove it.

But if you don't want to try the ammonia, and you want to keep the haze, obviously that is your decision.

• Options

You all mean Sudsy Ammonia of course, right?

• Options

Plain pure ammonia.

• Options
    edited October 21, 2017 7:58PM

I have some experience with both. B) Have you ever tried the "Sudsy" stuff? Otherwise.... :p

• Options

Insider2, I've just tried the plain ammonia, it worked fine, so I didn't see a reason to try something else.
    But of course, others' experiences might be different than mine.

• Options

I'll suggest you try the sudsy...I'll bet with a little thought you can figure out where it is used to conserve coins. :smiley:

• Options

I am going to try the ammonia this week. I just need to pick some up. I will also try and post some before and after pics as I go along.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be great for those of us that are following your progress. I hope it works for you.

@CoinCrazyPA said:
    I am going to try the ammonia this week. I just need to pick some up. I will also try and post some before and after pics as I go along.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

After being attached to the nuclear, biological, chemical team in the military , I can only say: have fun with your experiments.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I was you...then I wouldn't be me!

I have nothing beneficial to add to this...thread.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, is ammonia better than MS 70?
    It was suggested to me that I put MS70 on some hazy proofs?
    Do you dip in MS70 or roll with atop?

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2017 3:27PM

I prefer MS-70 first. Ammonia has its place but more harsh. Dip or roll depends on the coin's condition and method of manufacture (LOL...PR).

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    After being attached to the nuclear, biological, chemical team in the military , I can only say: have fun with your experiments.

Wow! Definitely someone who knows chemistry here.
    And, thank you for your service to our country.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had good luck using a mild dip.

Larry

• Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

If the haze isn't easily removed from silver proofs first with MS70, or secondly with diluted acid, it is highly likely that the coin has been previously improperly cleaned with acid and the mirrored fields are burned (etched). This is especially true for modern US proofs. There is no fix for that.

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    I love Purple Haze - almost 50 years old!

RIP Jimi.

Paul
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:

Isn't this how the mint does their reverse proof? ;)

Paul

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file