Options

I have to admit... MS 70 is amazing

1959 Franklin Proof straight out of a mint set

Same coin after MS-70, distilled water rinse & acetone dip

I just did this experiment for my own amusement. image

Comments

• Options
    slothman2000slothman2000 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    they don't call it ms-70 for nothing.....
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice results.
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    I imagine they don't, or everyone would mix up some on their own, but do they list what is in it on the label?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the ingredients?
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    very powerful sulfactants

i am guessing as i have never seen ms70
  • Options
    I see marks on the coin... is that just dust?
    Please download this app to help fight cancer at 0 cost. At no extra cost to you purchases from Amazon and other participating retailers will benefit research!

http://my.affinity.is/cancer-research?referral_code=MjI4Nzgz
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    It's MS Sediment
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    I've never seen it leave any sediments, but on coins with proof surfaces, when you're done with MS70, every little line and nick will be very evident. I've often wondered if a person could get rid of these by putting on a clear inert lubricant.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    It was just a test as I said. It's not something I would apply to any proof coin I owned that was actually worth something and the stuff looks like it would murder a business strike coin. It would have to be a perfect proof coin as you can see the hairline flaws in between "In God We Trust" and on the reverse it's the same in different lighting. Or at least cut it 4 parts water to 1 part MS 70(someone recommended that) to cut down the flaws it brings out. I applied it full strength and to tell you the truth the coin looks too good.... like it's fake. The '57 proof I have was pretty much worthless with carbon spots on the back, so I tested on it first. Both of these coins were hazed by the way. I have to admit it does take it away whatever is in the bottle. No ingredients except for a warning that it *contains strong cleaners*.

Looks polished to me. Try hiding the scratch coming out of Frankie's head after MS 70. Not gonna happen.

So much for that. I'll stick to walkers.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    It's not something I would apply to any proof coin I owned that was actually worth something and the stuff looks like it would murder a business strike coin

I'm glad you put that disclaimer in there- I think a lot of people would see a shiny new coin, and decide to use whatever you used to make a bunch of their coins extra shiny...image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have to admit... MS 70 is amazing >>

Why thank you... image

Oh. You're talking about the chemical. image

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

<< <i>I'm glad you put that disclaimer in there- I think a lot of people would see a shiny new coin, and decide to use whatever you used to make a bunch of their coins extra shiny...image >>

Wait till you see what the '57 wheat cent out of that proof set looks like with MS 70. Just kidding. image
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey bgrice, don't let anyone fool you, many many people (inculding many here) are "curating" their coins, so why shouldn't you?
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    if you do this before submitting for grading - do they determine that it is cleaned or chemicals?

• Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the difference between MS-70 and Jeweluster (or other acidic dip)?

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

<< <i>Hey bgrice, don't let anyone fool you, many many people (inculding many here) are "curating" their coins, so why shouldn't you? >>

All of my coins are business strikes, so I really don't have much use for it. I bought the stuff just as a test to see what it would do to the couple of proofs I do have. They were hazed from hell & back, so why not.

Maybe I could shine up my slabs and make'em prettier. Might try that on a NGC slab I'm gonna crack open. They recommend a *test dummy* anyway. image
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    You should try taking a bubble bath with it, it will take years off of your lifeimage------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What is the difference between MS-70 and Jeweluster (or other acidic dip)?

Lane >>

MS70 is soap.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> You should try taking a bubble bath with it, it will take years off of your life >>

Don't you mean "it will take years off of your lifespan"?
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What is the difference between MS-70 and Jeweluster (or other acidic dip)?

Lane >>

MS70 is soap. >>

Ah, I've never used the stuff. Any idea of which surfactants and which organics are used?

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please do not use it on high end original circulated coins... there are enough enhanced coins floating around already and we don't need anymore. If you are just using it on post 1950 proof coins, knock yourself out.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I typed in "MS70" on eBay and all I got were MS 70 coins.
    Love in Jesus & Xanadu,

Apostle Saint Dennis

eMail

SmartEnterprises: The Phoenix!

Log on to: Church Of The Holy Ghost
  • Options
    Okay, I put in "MS-70" and found it. (Along with MS 70 coins.)
    Love in Jesus & Xanadu,

Apostle Saint Dennis

eMail

SmartEnterprises: The Phoenix!

Log on to: Church Of The Holy Ghost
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally designed as a golf ball cleaner for industrial uses . . . such as on ranges, etc. This is a concentrate . . . not sure what the actual strength is designed to be when used on golf balls, but it takes off the dirt and crud from outdoor range balls.

I would beg to differ with some here . . . I've used it carefully for 5-6 years with superb results. I just have anecdotal information, but I submit quite a few batches to PCGS . . . with no body bags for cleaning. My only regret . . . earlier in my Commem days I submitted a few MS-70'd (verb) cheaper Commems . . . all came back certified but my own experiment and those of others in the area seemed to show that PCGS liked the original dull 'skin' on many issues (and that definitely comes off with MS70!!!) and the grades were always a point lower on my 'mint state' bright MS70's coins than others that were basically identical. I don't risk any 'skin' on a classic coin with it . . .

I now use it sparingly . . . but it is super for nickel and silver (try a warnickel . . . holy cow!) and to remove some prints, proof haze, and spotting in many cases. Proper application is critical . . . obviously ANYTHING touching a coin could hairline it . . .so be careful, but it is my first line of defense . . . I basically don't dip or clean anything if MS70 won't take it off.

Just IMHO, but quite a bit of personal experience.

DRUNNER
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts Drunner. I think you said it all.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    << Okay, I put in "MS-70" and found it. (Along with MS 70 coins.)>>

How about putting up a link?

Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file