Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you plan on being a net buyer or net seller of coins in 2018?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I figure to sell many more than I buy.

Comments

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyer.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyer.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭

Seller

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyer of limited mintage Mint products I can flip. B)

• Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

Buyer.
    I've yet to sell anything.
    No reason to, was going to sell some gold at my pre-determined price of $1350.00, changed my mind.
    (I used to be uncertain, now I'm just not sure....!!!!)

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seller

• Options

Unless something legitimately rare and super PQ comes up (e.g. something I won't see for at least a decade).

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seller

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyer.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2017 4:32PM

(Original post deleted.....Never mind....I annoyed even myself). ;)

Net buyer. I don't like selling.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

seller...wait, no...buyer...nope...well, both because every coin I sell I have to buy first, so I guess we will see at the end of the year...All's I know for sure is i'm losing $$$ and there has never been a more fun way to lose $$$ for me...at least since I've been here on Earth ;)

• Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭

Mostly, seller - but probably both.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a buyer (Well, unless a whale comes along and makes me an offer I can't refuse).

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2017 4:51PM

Net seller vintage (falling market support, fewer collectors) net buyer MWG.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2017 4:50PM

The net seems to be about the best way to buy and sell coins these days.

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neutral.

As a dealer I need to buy and sell while making a profit and/or increasing inventory.

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyer

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Neutral.

As a dealer I need to buy and sell while making a profit and/or increasing inventory.

If the slide continues dealers may have to trim inventories to pay the creditors.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Neutral.

If the slide continues dealers may have to trim inventories to pay the creditors.

The market is showing some signs of improving. If that reverses and the previous decline continues, I predict that we will begin to see corporate bankruptcy filing from some dealers. This happened in 1990.

• Options
    BeerockBeerock Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

Buyer, I've never been able to part with many of my coins.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Neutral.

No creditors, no debt.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been selling for a year and will continue to sell as long as my markets remain strong.

Indeed, I hope to increase my selling next year.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Coinstartled said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Neutral.

No creditors, no debt.

Very good place to be. Dealers have been known to be significantly leveraged. Rising interest rates could turn things ugly.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

Buyer mostly

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

My plan is to buy only and not sell at all.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyer I hope. Finding what I want in the grades that fit my collection has become almost impossible, and I am not buying anything that is close to the finest graded.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@Coinstartled said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Coinstartled said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Neutral.

No creditors, no debt.

Very good place to be. Dealers have been known to be significantly leveraged. Rising interest rates could turn things ugly.

I can only pray that interest rates go up. They have been at historical lows for what seems forever. Interest rates have only one way to go.....up

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

These interest rates have been terrible for retirees who are living on the edge and take risks connected with the stock market. I'm not one of those people, but I understand what they are facing.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slight net buyer. My passion for coins is still running ahead of my economic apprehensions about the future.

• Options
    edited October 17, 2017 6:35PM

@BillJones said:
    These interest rates have been terrible for retirees who are living on the edge and take risks connected with the stock market. I'm not one of those people, but I understand what they are facing.

Agree. Hurts retirees, savers and those with risk aversion

m

• Options

What hurts them is rabid inflation....but that is more of a PM forum topic.

o:)

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Practically no Americans now living have realistic ideas on how to play a deflationary environment, so that's probably the next turn of the screw - not that that is the final chapter, not by any means.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I was smart I would be neutral and zero. If I was really smart I would be a seller. But apparently I'm neither and will probably add a few more to the pile...

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyer. Prices have settled down and leveled nicely. Not a deflationary spiral.

• Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

Probably will be a net seller in terms of quantity, but a net buyer in terms of dollar value.

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@msch1man said:
    Probably will be a net seller in terms of quantity, but a net buyer in terms of dollar value.

+1

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2017 7:08PM

Just bought three coins at Heritage tonight. Including a 36-s Oregon.

Hey...we still have 2 months left in the year.

;)

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been a net buyer for 50 straight years. 2018 will be no different. Buy, buy, buy!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@msch1man said:

Also +1. Sell some lower value stuff to buy more upgrades, maybe expand a bit.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭

Likely a net seller. Maybe 1 out of 10 coins/medals I buy is a "keeper", something I don't lose interest in, or have any thoughts of selling.

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mostly a buyer, but I have generated a number of duplicates that I need to sell.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was a big seller in 2017. I’ll be a buyer in 2018, God willing.

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

Buyer on my main collection.
    Seller on anything else :wink:

an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyer !!! B)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Downsizing. That should mean I'm a seller. Trying like heck not to be a buyer.

Need a ten step program.

Step 1: Recognize there is a problem...

• Options
    edited October 18, 2017 1:43AM

@Justacommeman said:

@BillJones said:

Agree. Hurts retirees, savers and those with risk aversion

m

I don't understand. There are inflation adjusted T-bills that retirees can invest in that will hold up against inflation. Unless exceptionally wealthy, most investment planners don't recommend riskier investments anyway at that age.

• Options
    hickoryridgehickoryridge Posts: 229 ✭✭✭

@msch1man said:

+2 if the right coins come up for sale

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyer of (hopefully) many, seller of a few.

Altho, every time that I sell I seem to regret it.

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file