Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Happy Indigenous Peoples Day!

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is what we celebrate in Colorado on the second Monday of October.

Post a picture of your favorite coin or token with a Native American on it, or in honor of my Great-Grandmother one of the Canadien "First Peoples."

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

Stork beat me to the punch. :)

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Shamika said:
    Stork beat me to the punch. :)

I don't have all that many US coins, but I do like to show them off when I get the chance :D. But post yours anyway--the more the merrier!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy birthday daughter of mine.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, good for you but it might be suggested that what gets labelled "PC" may, just may, be a way to ignore something that has been from some perspectives wrong all along. Perhaps a bit of empathy might give pause. How would you feel to be a Native American and be presented with Columbus Day?
    Like many Americans, I am only a small fraction of Native American, but still appreciate their sentiment. And as another thought, how about that Columbus celebrations took their root in what was PC some years ago and then was adopted as "mainstream". Not that it matters, but count me open to all perspectives.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

What we did to the American Indians is beyond belief! We took their land, defiled their sacred burial grounds, killed the Buffalo, raided and killed their women and children, etc. etc. etc.

As a kid, I started collecting Buffalo Nickels because of what I heard about those atrocities.

My Italian heritage makes me observe Columbus day. I try to separate the two things as best as I can.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think they are happy

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    That is what we celebrate in Colorado on the second Monday of October.

Post a picture of your favorite coin or token with a Native American on it, or in honor of my Great-Grandmother one of the Canadien "First Peoples."

what nonsense :#

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

What I always remember about Columbus day was we didn't have school and it was opening weekend of Antelope season. Not much has changed from my point of few.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    It has been Columbus Day all of my life...., and although I have great respect for Native Americans, I will not submit to this ludicrous politically correct culture. Cheers, RickO

Why is my comment regarding my celebration of my ancestry perceived by you as an attack upon your celebration of your ancestry, which I did not mention?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course, the important question is.....

Is PCGS grading today? :blush:

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    It is OK to disagree.... I know Columbus did not discover America...that is old news. And yes, he was a cruel governor in the Caribbean..... However, since it has been an established holiday since 1937, and only recently - in this PC era we are enduring - come under fire, then yes, I consider it political correctness run amok. Cheers, RickO

What you say makes sense. It is simply my opinion that this is not a matter of PC, but the transfer of attention from Columbus to the native people who lived on those lands already. Thank you for sharing your opinion; hearing people's perspectives is fascinating.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

PC is usually the right thing to do. Not always tho, but usually.

Nothing wrong with doing the right thing (PC)

Go against the right thing to do just because the right thing to do is PC is just stupid.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KellenCoin said:

@ricko said:
    It is OK to disagree.... I know Columbus did not discover America...that is old news. And yes, he was a cruel governor in the Caribbean..... However, since it has been an established holiday since 1937, and only recently - in this PC era we are enduring - come under fire, then yes, I consider it political correctness run amok. Cheers, RickO

What you say makes sense. It is simply my opinion that this is not a matter of PC, but the transfer of attention from Columbus to the native people who lived on those lands already. Thank you for sharing your opinion; hearing people's perspectives is fascinating.

Didn't the native people migrate from Asia? Who was here before they came?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2017 9:01AM

@robec said:

@KellenCoin said:

@ricko said:

If we're going to say that, we might as well say we're all Africans, African-American in terms of Americans ;)

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

If we're going to say that, we might as well say we're all Africans, African-American in terms of Americans ;)

Ya think???

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2017 9:22AM

@drwstr123 said:

Ya think???

I was taught in school that humans originated in Africa, but now I have to evaluate if that is Alt Left thinking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_human_migrations

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OnWithTheHunt said:
    Now, back to coins.

It appears your Indian and Buffalo are migrating..... :wink:

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2017 9:57AM

It may seem odd today, but I was under the impression that Columbus Day was a small acknowledgment of the contributions of Italian-Americans to American life and culture (and cuisine).

I don't dare post it, but I recommend checking Google Images for 'Charlie Brown Sally Brown Columbus Day'.

• Options

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

She is 28 today. (my daughter)

when she was 3, this came out

Modern crap goes on here, as usual.

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2017 10:30AM

Well this thread got very political so here is a fun factoid... Columbus was one of the first Europeans to taste pineapple. :p

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

happy pineapple day

(Just another work day here)

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a coin from Mexico City, about 50 years after the "event"

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Native Population of the Americas in 1492

Second Revised Edition
    Edited by William M. Denevan
    With a Foreword by W. George Lovell

How many people inhabited the New World when Columbus landed on Hispaniola in 1492? How did the arrival of Europeans spark the population decline of aboriginal people in the New World?

William M. Denevan writes that, "The discovery of America was followed by possibly the greatest demographic disaster in the history of the world." Research by some scholars provides population estimates of the pre-contact Americas to be as high as 112 million in 1492, while others estimate the population to have been as low as eight million. In any case, the native population declined to less than six million by 1650.

I would also recommend:

1491 by Charles C. Mann
    1493 by Charles C. Mann

Also, did you know that potatoes came from Peru? The Potato famine in Ireland was caused by ships transporting guano (bird poop used for fertilizer) from an island off the coast of Ecuador being also used to transport potatoes from Peru.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't really want to jump in the fray...but if anyone in this country deserves reparations it's the American Indians. The incredible cruelty against the American Indians makes the slave reparation demands look like a joke!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file