Comments

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EagleEye said:
    Today, I'm celebrating this guy:

Finally, some sanity!

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, at the time of "the event" 525 years ago, Mexico city (Aztec: Tenochtitlan) was the most populous city on earth. It was completely destroyed in 1521 by the Spaniards.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gtstang said:
    Well this thread got very political so here is a fun factoid... Columbus was one of the first Europeans to taste pineapple. :p

And It seems like He's been eating crow ever since......................

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    I don't really want to jump in the fray...but if anyone in this country deserves reparations it's the American Indians. The incredible cruelty against the American Indians makes the slave reparation demands look like a joke!

Most tribes have been paid for their suffering. I remember a high school kid that was a local Indian (Indian Colony, south of Carson) that received $30,000 and 40 acres of land. WE though that he was rich! This was the early 1960's. His whole tribe settled with the Feds. I've heard of many such "deals" that tribes have made with our Gov't. Maybe not all but many have "settled".

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

@amwldcoin said:
    I don't really want to jump in the fray...but if anyone in this country deserves reparations it's the American Indians. The incredible cruelty against the American Indians makes the slave reparation demands look like a joke!

Most tribes have been paid for their suffering. I remember a high school kid that was a local Indian (Indian Colony, south of Carson) that received $30,000 and 40 acres of land. WE though that he was rich! This was the early 1960's. His whole tribe settled with the Feds. I've heard of many such "deals" that tribes have made with our Gov't. Maybe not all but many have "settled".

bob

So far from the truth that I'm amazed anyone could believe this. In no way was herding Native Americans onto reservations a "gift of repayment" for the way they were treated.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't say anything about reservations. That was obviously not payment for anything. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/09/27/495627997/u-s-government-to-pay-492-million-to-17-american-indian-tribes

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always wondered why we celebrated Columbus Day. Even moreso when it is clear that he didn't really "discover" America. Plenty of evidence that other Europeans were here centuries prior. So for me, I don't consider the day any more special than any other.

I am not in favor of an indigenous peoples day either. Seems like a scam to keep the federal employee day off.

I am in favor of abolishing both - no more Columbus day and no more IP day. Put the feds and the other government workers back to work.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dunno - I was always told that you should be thankful that you don't get all the government that you pay for.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@drwstr123 said:

Didn't the native people migrate from Asia? Who was here before they came?

If we're going to say that, we might as well say we're all Africans, African-American in terms of Americans ;)

Ya think???

I was taught in school that humans originated in Africa, but now I have to evaluate if that is Alt Left thinking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_human_migrations

It is backed by genetic studies. It is not a PC crusade, but science.

If stone were here we could ask for confirmation that if it started from Africa then there were no predecessors to those who crossed. I believe the native to the 2 continents and Asia all fall under mongoloids. There are also australoids (sp?), caucasoid, and negroid. The base of the tree is the negroid.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    I dunno - I was always told that you should be thankful that you don't get all the government that you pay for.

Good point. I was thinking of staff reductions - not more "help" from the goobermint.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its Columbus day. nothing else.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larry

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nevermind

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who was here before they came?

The "STAR" people,,,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2017 7:46PM

@GRANDAM said:

Who was here before they came?

The "STAR" people,,,,,,,

Shhhhhh

Leah Rimini is listening

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2017 8:27PM

@MsMorrisine said:

@Zoins said:

@drwstr123 said:

Didn't the native people migrate from Asia? Who was here before they came?

If we're going to say that, we might as well say we're all Africans, African-American in terms of Americans ;)

Ya think???

I was taught in school that humans originated in Africa, but now I have to evaluate if that is Alt Left thinking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_human_migrations

It is backed by genetic studies. It is not a PC crusade, but science.

If stone were here we could ask for confirmation that if it started from Africa then there were no predecessors to those who crossed. I believe the native to the 2 continents and Asia all fall under mongoloids. There are also australoids (sp?), caucasoid, and negroid. The base of the tree is the negroid.

That's my thinking as well. I was trying to indicate that scientific studies have been politicized to the point that many people question science. Seems like not everyone was amused.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:

There's no way they can be adequately compensated for what was done to them-Smallpox, alcoholism, broken promises and much more.

Compensated ? If I'm not mistaken, all those people have since died.......

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

This.....There's no way they can be adequately compensated for what was done to them-Smallpox, alcoholism, broken promises and much more. I don't feel that's "political correctness" at all. What it IS was genocide

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file