Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Houston area coin shops

PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope all the coin shop are safe and sound

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2017 9:07PM

Coin shops and coin collections both, but more than that, I hope all the people are safe and sound.

Stories of people shooting at and attempting to steal rescue boats shows things are getting more desperate.

• Options

I seem to remember that people in Texas shoot back.
    I am sure the Texas law will support those protecting their property without reservation!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2017 10:17PM

@PTVETTER said:
    I seem to remember that people in Texas shoot back.
    I am sure the Texas law will support those protecting their property without reservation!

Some stranded people are shooting at rescue boats in order to call attention to themselves to get rescued, but the shooting is actually causing some rescue crews to stand down and pause their work.

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Let us pray for everyone affected. I don't know what else to say.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2017 11:32PM

Is Bogus still in Humble?

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

US Coins in Katy and Bozarth Numismatics in Brenham come to mind.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2017 3:26AM

Pat, I understand your sentiment but something like a Coin Shop should really be at the bottom of the list of who we should be concerned about. if nothing was learned from Andrew, Katrina, Sandy and the scores of other storms then this will be a ridiculous tragedy.

I would add that Houston came to the aid of Katrina victims and opened its doors for many thousands. our Country needs to set aside EVERYTHING and help this City.

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over the years attending the Houston Money show I've had the privilege to meet many collectors and dealers from the area. Let's all just hope that everyone stays safe

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    stashstash Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

I heard on the new this morning, that only 15% of them homes, had flood insurance .

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a storm and it's not finished. Crazy stuff.

Larry

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a major tragedy, in both human and material terms. The devastation is widespread and will last for many months to come. Some will not recover. I applaud those responders that are saving people, both local and those who are traveling from other states... All forms of aid are necessary. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2017 7:13AM

I live in Houston area and for past 4 days have seen the water creep back and forth within a few feet of my home and back to the street, watched the news radar wishing thing would leave area. still high and dry with power and cable vs much less fortunate others. This is an unprecedented 500 yr bad luck event they say.

I would bet shop owners have taken good security precautions. A contingency plan needed for disaster like this. One of my fav shops though is Royal Coins. Another is US Coins.

I don't believe a lot of people here will be buying coins for sometime. Others have still not recovered from career damage or forced early retirement from the oil price crunch buried in credit card debt if not already buried in credit card debt. As I understand Crown Royal has become more popular here.

At my last 2 recent area shows here (slow sales) all they are buying is bullion related items close to melt. Numismatic coins forget it, CAC - what's that? Can't even sell the few CAC I have - they won't pay the money. AGB strong sellers.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2017 12:26PM

I hope our friends and my enemies all come out of this OK.

Now, about my puking on Ted Cruz's flag pin........
    Reap what you sow is Old Testament, right.
    You got what you voted for...... Maybe Greg Abbott and Dan Patrick can get Ted Nugent to do a benefit.

Luckily, Texas has one of the most generous and forward-thinking health plans in the country. :*
    Free caskets.

Matthew 10:34

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    I live in Houston area and for past 4 days have seen the water creep back and forth within a few feet of my home and back to the street, watched the news radar wishing thing would leave area. still high and dry with power and cable vs much less fortunate others. This is an unprecedented 500 yr bad luck event they say.

I would bet shop owners have taken good security precautions. A contingency plan needed for disaster like this. One of my fav shops though is Royal Coins. Another is US Coins.

I don't believe a lot of people here will be buying coins for sometime. Others have still not recovered from career damage or forced early retirement from the oil price crunch. As I understand Crown Royal has become more popular here.

At my last 2 recent area shows here (slow sales) all they are buying is bullion related items close to melt. Numismatic coins forget it, CAC - what's that? Can't even sell the few CAC I have - they won't pay the money. AGB strong sellers.

Stay safe. I've seen and heard of lots of reports of looters on twitter and criminals attacking the "Cajun Navy" trying to help rescue people. The mayor should have done a partial evacuation, especially of the elderly and disabled. It is unfathomable that people were told to not evacuate from low sea level areas when they have seen this type of flooding happen 2-3 years before. My thoughts are with my fellow Americans...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/harvey-why-is-houston-so-prone-to-major-flooding/

• Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

the most direct and quickest way to help is to donate directly to the Red Cross

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

i live in the copperfield area.rained 14 hr non stop yesterday.finally quit 10pm.im dry for now.im really lucky alot of people not so fortunate.my mom lives near us coins gonna drive by if possible.be safe

• Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2017 8:07AM

@chumley said:
    the most direct and quickest way to help is to donate directly to the Red Cross

PLEASE DO NOT GIVE TO THE RED CROSS! !!
    READ HOW MUCH THE RED CROSS SCREWED PEOPLE!
    look at what JJ Watts had to say and do. He started his own organization due to issues with red cross. Send the money to organizations on the ground like jj watts and cajun navy!

I should add that the red cross is helpful and useful but when it comes to natural disasters they have not a clue. Just look at what they did n the Caribbean!

Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2017 9:56AM

i am considering put prices on many of my vintage coins at just $5 over cost .....at upcoming Houston fall show then reposition to specialize....Texas and select vintage commems.....and reduce inventory mgt issues, stress about market. Concentrate on just fun.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thoughts and prayers to those who need it, even the coin dealers ( >:) ).

How about we all forgo our next coin purchase and donate that money to one of the organizations helping those in need. Samaritan's Purse or Salvation Army come to mind but I'm sure you can come up with one of your own favorites.

Looking at the news it reminds me of the "500 year" flooding we had in Marietta Georgia in 2009. I had a 5 by 10 inch box at a bank on local creek. The box was at waist level so I could slide it out and carry it to one of the viewing rooms without breaking my back. The parking lot had to be at least ten feet above the upper bank of the creek and the lobby was flooded along with most of the nearby shopping areas. By the time I could get into the vault I noticed that the water came within two or three inches of the bottom of my box, (whew!). Sheet rock was removed from the offices near the vault and they were divided into sections with folding tables and "clotheslines" strung up and people were sorting through the muddy water soaked contents of their boxes, hanging important papers to dry, etc. all under the watchful eye of several armed security personnel. Needless to say I moved my goodies to a branch on higher ground where it is safe and sound.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2017 1:54PM

Wow...didn't know you were so close! Most people determined we had a 1000 year event where I live West of Atlanta. I live on a small river and I have to tell you it was unbelievable! The bridge over the river next to my house the old timers said they had never seen it up to the bottom. At the highest level it was around 10 feet over the bridge! My house was sticking out on a peninsula with water probably 30 feet away...but another 7 or 8 feet in elevation to reach it. We know what our lakefront property would look like now if they ever raise the dam. The river is normally 20 feet wide give or take. I would wager it was 100 yards across at the highest level and running like a mad bangee. We lost over 200 trees. If I was to guess it was probably 30 feet above flood stage.

Our event is and isn't comparable to Tx. It only lasted a day. The highest point of the flood was in the early morning and the river was back in it's banks that evening. As I understand we had 16 inches of rain in around 7 or 8 hours on top of already saturated ground. Many people lost their homes and several people died.

I truly feel for those in Texas. While it took a few months for our infrastructure to be repaired I suspect it will be a year or so for Tx.

@tommy44 said:
    Thoughts and prayers to those who need it, even the coin dealers ( >:) ).

How about we all forgo our next coin purchase and donate that money to one of the organizations helping those in need. Samaritan's Purse or Salvation Army come to mind but I'm sure you can come up with one of your own favorites.

Looking at the news it reminds me of the "500 year" flooding we had in Marietta Georgia in 2009. I had a 5 by 10 inch box at a bank on local creek. The box was at waist level so I could slide it out and carry it to one of the viewing rooms without breaking my back. The parking lot had to be at least ten feet above the upper bank of the creek and the lobby was flooded along with most of the nearby shopping areas. By the time I could get into the vault I noticed that the water came within two or three inches of the bottom of my box, (whew!). Sheet rock was removed from the offices near the vault and they were divided into sections with folding tables and "clotheslines" strung up and people were sorting through the muddy water soaked contents of their boxes, hanging important papers to dry, etc. all under the watchful eye of several armed security personnel. Needless to say I moved my goodies to a branch on higher ground where it is safe and sound.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scarsdale, where exactly in Left Field are you seated??? please re-read my unedited post and explain to me your confusion which justifies what amounts to a non-sensical history lesson, one which I am well aware of.

• Options

Keets. Since this is a coin forum my though are with coins.
    I know more than most about floods, I was in the 1977 Johnstown flood as both a civilian and national guardsman.
    What is at the bottom of the list is freeloading do nothings.!!!!!

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Is Bogus still in Humble?

No, Bogus is weathering the storm just fine. He's enjoying 3 hots & a cot courtesy of the fine citizens of the Great State of Texas.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

We all try to keep out coins safe but something like this is hard to plan for. Even the bank vaults and boxes are at risk. A lot of coins are going to need help.
    Don't get me wrong. I don't place the value of coins above what all these folks are dealing with. Nothing good about this storm.

Larry

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sonny @ Royal Coins sets up at my shows... his shop is in the Galleria area of Houston, which did have flooding, so I hope he's OK, along with the other dealers in the area.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:
    Sonny @ Royal Coins sets up at my shows... his shop is in the Galleria area of Houston, which did have flooding, so I hope he's OK, along with the other dealers in the area.

I heard back from Sonny @ Royal Coins. Unfortunately, his shop was flooded and has bout 4 feet of water in it right now... he and his family are OK, fortunately.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'm real sorry to hear that.i guess braes bayou got em.collector coins not far from there hope they ok.

• Options

I hope there was time to time move his stock to higher ground.
    My shop had shelves that went over 5 ft high
    With only a few days notice I thing I could have moved some of my inventory , but not all to a storage unit!

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem for Civil Engineers is that 500 year rain fall events happen every 50-100 years in some locations.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know you, but your whine and nastiness below is totally uncalled for.
    You are turning this natural disaster into a petty political whine.

Uncool dude. Uncool.

@ColonelJessup said:

You got what you voted for...... Maybe Greg Abbott and Dan Patrick can get Ted Nugent to do a benefit.

Luckily, Texas has one of the most generous and forward-thinking health plans in the country. :*
    Free caskets.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2017 11:39PM

@ColonelJessup said:

Free caskets.

Disgraceful. Recommend time off for bad behavior.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2017 4:23AM

@Bochiman said:
    I don't know you, but your whine and nastiness below is totally uncalled for.
    You are turning this natural disaster into a petty political whine.

Uncool dude. Uncool.

@ColonelJessup said:

Free caskets.

Petty political whine?
    Rather, a diatribe. The science on climate change has been politicized. Screw that. This is a FEMA thread.
    Hurricane Sandy disaster and recovery relief was, from day 1, was described by both Texas Senators Cruz and Cornyn as "pork".

Here in NJ, we insist that they stick to their principles. Like I said, reap what you sow.

You may think me an unsympathetic asshole. You're (partially) right, But Texans, in their wisdom, have elected officials who can school anyone in it.
    Texas has the highest proportion of uninsured citizens in the country, the highest infant death rate, the highest per capita industrial death rate.

I'm not whining, I'm raging. Against Texas on behalf of Texans

Texas reminds me that their official policy is small-minded hate, no matter the smarminess with which they describe their love of freedom and their fellow human beings.

Cornyn, Cruz et al. have defined their view of national policy on disaster relief.
    Like I said, reap what you sow.
    Forget Sandy and Jersey back then. Just take your vote on this year's FEMA budget.
    Your dogma just got run over by your karma.

Thousands and thousands of individual Americans, Texans prominent, came to the Northeast and broke their asses for free during the month after Sandy. Out of grace and out of gratitude. That's humanity and America.

Dan Patrick just pissed away $21,000,000 on a special session of the Texas legislature on their version of the bathroom bill. Now they need Porta-Potties. >:)
    Let's see if Cornyn and Cruz can get some rebuilding money by cutting down our anticipated trillion dollars nuke budget.

We all have contradictions. I can tolerate some self-disgust.
    I can sniff out some self-righteous vindictiveness in my attitude.
    I'm not guilty enough about it to turn the other cheek.
    I'll stick with "reap what you sow".

But the citizens of Texas must take moral and personal responsibility for the consequences of the decisions they've made.
    That's my political position. Ted Cruz says it's constitutional.

I'm big on satire, which is starting to piss off @BillJones.

If you read what I say and got triggered, my work here is done,
    If you can tolerate confusion enough to think a bit more, your work continues..

Check out Matthew 10:34.-36 It's Jesus' declaration of jihad.
    Are you confused or violated hearing this, but want to discuss my statement and your own thoughts on the intellectual and spiritual bases of it's provocations? Please PM.

Tom Noe's probably angling for some FEMA bucks right now,

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file