Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you use social sites for coins?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 20, 2017 10:06AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've seen a number of social sites becoming increasingly popular for coins and exonumia. I'm wondering if the people here use those sites or if the people at those sites are a separate community. Some of the sites I've seen include:

• Etsy (selling, mostly cheap stuff)
  • Facebook (general info)
  • Instagram (images, selling)
  • Kickstarter (selling, e.g. Mel Wacks new issues)
  • Pinterest (images)
  • Twitter (general info)

Comments

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joined Instagram a short time ago to post my coins, tokens etc.... and have been on Facebook for a few years.
    I do enjoy Instagram more as there are many collectors like me as well as sellers that I enjoy looking at.
    I also found out that there are many more younger and beginner collectors out there then I thought. Many are collecting bullion coins that lead to a full fledge collector, which is really nice to see.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2017 9:57AM

Nope....eBay & major bullion dealers are my only choice. PS, I primarily deal in related bullion coin, rounds & bar products.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

Fecebook, Instagram, and Twitter...

• Options

I've been on Instagram for almost 3 years now. I've made tons of deals on Instagram and never had any issues. The community has grown a lot and it's a great resource for not only buying and selling, but also sharing pictures of cool coins.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

no

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to try one out as an experiment and see how it goes. It will be interesting to see what the community there looks like.

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Facebook and instagram.

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, just instagram. Great coin community on it.

• Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭

Facebook is expanding quickly as it relates to coins.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

I post fairly regularly on Instagram - mostly coins that I find interesting, whether they're inventory or stuff from my collection. I have made sales as a result, but that's fairly rare.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    I'm going to try one out as an experiment and see how it goes. It will be interesting to see what the community there looks like.

I highly recommend you start with Instagram. It's unfortunate some just plain refuse to give it a shot, it truly is their loss. It's a great place to see some amazing coins and is really an eye opening glimpse into the wide array of collectors out there. Yes lots of bullion collectors and YN just getting into collecting but with the use of hashtag searches anybody can narrow down the content to what they enjoy. Follow PCGS of course but also check out NGC's Instagram, they have off the chart photos imo. Find the thread here that has all the forum members accounts, some great stuff there!

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I would lose friends if I did. I know no one personally who collects coins like I do.

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm at beachcombercoins on instagram.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options

I'm Georgesstampsandcoins on Instagram.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have around 5500 followers on my Michael Kittle Rare Coins page on Facebook. I post things there once or twice a week an sometimes I get a sale from it... but not too often.

Still like to post things to educate and share interest in coins :)

:+1:

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2017 7:28PM

No. The few coins I have don't get out much.

A couple of them sit around and watch reality TV programs about 'coin counters,' 'coinage strip' and 'abused at 7-11.' Then there're the ever popular Masterpiece Theater productions of "The Three Penny Opera" and James Bond's "Moneypenny" friend.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am on Instagram and Facebook... also Cointalk.... This forum, however, is the best resource for coin knowledge and professional resources. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

Come check out Reddit too. It is one of the most popular sites on the internet (daily unique users) and there are about a dozen or so users here that I see posting/contributing over there. It is definitely more amateurish, but there are many serious collectors there too and you can see how many YN's are actually interested in this hobby....

Reddit.com/r/coins

There are also a bullion related "sub-reddit" called "silverbugs":

reddit.com/r/silverbugs

There are a few places where people buy/sell/trade precious metals and coins as well:

reddit.com/r/coins4sale

reddit.com/r/pmsforsale

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

No :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I HATE social media. For me a total waste of time and energy.

Of the list in the OP, I only use Pinterest only to collect photos for remodeling projects.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    Nope....eBay & major bullion dealers are my only choice. PS, I primarily deal in related bullion coin, rounds & bar products.

ebay and a few dealers here as well. fwiw

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

If I was 21 - 40 yrs old and interested, I'd go the source, rather than reddit, pinterest, instagram. But that's just me.

• Options

@epcjimi1 said:
    If I was 21 - 40 yrs old and interested, I'd go the source, rather than reddit, pinterest, instagram. But that's just me.

Most of the dealers.....if thats what you mean by source are on Instagram and etc....
    They post and interact with everyone but only faster as they can reach a much larger audience.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:

@epcjimi1 said:

Most of the dealers.....if thats what you mean by source are on Instagram and etc....
    They post and interact with everyone but only faster as they can reach a much larger audience.

Really? I don't see any of the "big dealers" selling on Instagram though.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a Morgan from a FB post ended up with a MS and was able to talk down the price and pick it up on my way home from work. That worked out nice. I listed a few and got a lot of uneducated folks trying to offer half of the melt value on a rare coin. The best bet for FB is join a closed Coin club group and you will find some opportunities. FB is in the early stages of selling & buying but will come along over time.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing like putting you information out there for so many to see.
    At some point someone will say how did they know?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2017 2:41PM

@KyleNumismatics on Instagram. I also post on Reddit (r/Coins) quite frequently under the same name.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options

@OPA said:

@coinsarefun said:

@epcjimi1 said:

Really? I don't see any of the "big dealers" selling on Instagram though.

I didn't say selling, I only stated they are out there, showing coins. They post and interact.
    But when since you mention it I went ahead and looked around.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@epcjimi1 said:

When the coin "sub-reddit" has 15,000 subscribers on it, it is definitely worthwhile to check it out. While many of the people there are YN's or non-collectors, there are some top registry set collectors, dealers and professionals there. A lot more users there than I think even know about this site....

I regularly share information on the "silverbug" sub-reddit here. All the big bullion dealers (APMEX, Provident, MCM, JM Bullion) are there posting specials, resolving order issues and giving away special codes for discounts that I share on this sites "Precious Metal" forum...but I guess that is useless, right?

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

I am a huge proponent of numismatic social media, and have a couple articles being published soon talking about that. I currently only an Instagram (@kellencoin), though I am very present of Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forget sometimes that there is a whole 'nother world out there on the internet away from these forums.
    Though, I don't know if I'd particularly enjoy all my Facebook "friends" knowing about my collection and assets.
    Might lead to more "friends."

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2017 7:19PM

No - can compromise security. FB can take your cell number u used to text somebody and enables them link your FB page. A guy in coin club seeing woman from SA named Ann for several months in sugar relationship (who says she separated). When she texted him recently it matched the number with her real name / FB page - she is married! He was even able research who her husband is and where he works. He has not told her of this but she has broken off the SD relationship. Did hubby find out? What if her husband finds his cell number in wifey's phone and researches him thru FB and Spokeo?

Input your cell number in Spokeo and c what comes up. If y location services on.....

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

This here forum is my one and only social site for coins

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Some_of_itSome_of_it Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

Did not enjoy Pintrist, __hated__ Twitter and may try Instagram soon. __

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:

@Cameonut said:
    I HATE social media. For me a total waste of time and energy.

It's the way of the future... Engaging the youth of the hobby in the places where they are is important to the long-term survival of the hobby. If you aren't growing, changing, or innovating, you're dying.

Yup. And 90% of physical "old school" coin clubs, especially ones that aren't in high population areas, wonder why they are a dying breed. Confront them with the truth and they can't believe it. Not that they facetiously can't believe it, they_literally_can't_believe_it because most of their members only vaguely know of the internet and if they have a call phone it flips open.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

So is anyone having luck selling on these sites?

Doug
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope.

• Options

Someone beat me to it, but here are all the PCGS social accounts. All worth checking out if you're interested in learning more about what's going on in the world of social media + coins.

PCGS Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PCGScoins
    PCGS Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/PCGScoin
    PCGS Twitter: https://twitter.com/PCGScoin
    PCGS YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/PCGSVideo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file