Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CAC and Non CAC Saints / where have Saints Gone?

Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 14, 2017 6:32PM in U.S. Coin Forum

A discussion about lack of Saints (and Libs) on the bourse at recent local show on CDN Bid focused on Generic Saints reported by CDN and of course other USGTC shows sticker coins higher in grades MS63 and above. The separate bid reporting not reflected for coins MS62 and lower. Have sellers taken USGTC off market send to CAC for stickering in hope of getting more money? Are bidders on eBay bidding up non stickered Saints with intent send to CAC? I was looking fill 20 coin slab storage box w PCGS Saints MS63 thru MS65.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Comments

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭

1) Premiums are low for saints right now, 2) more people expect gold's next move will be up, rather than down, especially with events like North Korea and the upcoming debt ceiling showdown adding a lot of uncertainty.

There's no real reason for existing owners to bring their saints to market right now if they think they'll be worth more in two months. I suspect it has zero to do with CAC right now.

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought I recently heard there was a flood of gold coming in from Europe and prices where falling. Maybe it Was it for smaller gold?

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BruceS said:
    I thought I recently heard there was a flood of gold coming in from Europe and prices where falling. Maybe it Was it for smaller gold?

It ....IS.!!!!!

I'm beginning to wonder HOW many bundle of hundreds of them (and OTHER slabbed gold)I will get emails on.

The quantity is staggering. :o

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

A PCGS 24 Saint sold for $1362 with BP yesterday on GC, ~$100 above melt. The timing right now seems poor to sell an uncirculated Saint or Lib. unless you need the funds or you think gold is going to tank.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    A PCGS 24 Saint sold for $1362 with BP yesterday on GC, ~$100 above melt. The timing right now seems poor to sell an uncirculated Saint or Lib. unless you need the funds or you think gold is going to tank.

PCGS 64 Saint

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2017 6:32PM

There have been many posts here and there suggesting that all kinds of coins 'have gotten scarcer' recently.

This is bull-poney.

The stuff hasn't disappeared.

People pull their good stuff off the market when prices are bad.

The likelihood of a quick price recovery is just speculation and is simply wishful thinking too.

• Options

The inflow from Europe - increase supply

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone have proof of in flow from Europe?

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SurfinxHI said:

Ask any generic gold importer.

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2017 7:21PM

Last spring, I saw quantities of pre-1933 common circulated to near unc European gold and American gold, much of it small coins, that I hadn't seen for years and years (perhaps since 1979-1980). Amounts that I thought were shocking. At the recent summer versions of the same shows, it had disappeared.

At the Chicago Coin Expo in April, there were a lot of very high-grade Saints, common dates, in PCGS slabs. Super nice coins, many 66s, all very fully priced.

Memory is tricky and anecdotal evidence can't be readily backed up, but that is what I remember.

I despise the spellcheck feature on this forum.

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

@SurfinxHI said:

Yes

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scrooge McDuck has been trying to corner the market. The 90 to 95 foot level in his money bin is filled with them.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not been active in the gold Saints market for a while, however, I do keep in touch with people across the country. Many have said that they have just not been pushing them in the last six to eight months due to lack of market interest. They are still there, just not 'hot' items now. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    Last spring, I saw quantities of pre-1933 common circulated to near unc European gold and American gold, much of it small coins, that I hadn't seen for years and years (perhaps since 1979-1980). Amounts that I thought were shocking. At the recent summer versions of the same shows, it had disappeared.

At the Chicago Coin Expo in April, there were a lot of very high-grade Saints, common dates, in PCGS slabs. Super nice coins, many 66s, all very fully priced.

Memory is tricky and anecdotal evidence can't be readily backed up, but that is what I remember.

What type of small coins?

• Options

The GC 64 Saint (above) was not a bad deal for the buyer. I may have wanted it myself.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems odd that when gold is on sale, no one wants it. Seems like a good time to stock up at a minimal premium.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2017 6:20AM

It's the Lib's fault.
    (no politics intended)

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh how I love generic. Laura turned me on to them, with a post she made here.... (on the forums) long ago.

• Options

@Gazes said:

@BillDugan1959 said:

What type of small coins?

Sovereigns, half sovereigns, small stuff from Austria and Hungary, 20 Francs of Nappy III, also USA fives and 2 and one-halfs. The kind of stuff that was common trading material before The Krugerrand came along. The kinda stuff you used to see all the time before modern coins tied to even Troy weights came along.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many won't sell their holdings because they do not want to incur large losses from when the coins were purchased for decent sized numismatic premiums. With the influx of higher denomination gold coins from Europe, I think the common date coins will languish for years and the prices will only recover if the precious metal market spikes much like modern day gold commemoratives and bullion coins. I'm glad that I sold off most of my gold before the most recent crash.

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭✭

I thought revisiting this thread was worth bringing it back.

In retrospect, it appears that low prices did what they are supposed to do: diminish supply, and that's what happened. Higher prices a few years later (continuing to today) have increased the generic CAC and numismatic CAC supplies.

• Options

Unless gold goes up see no hope for them.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:

Profound!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

@Cougar1978 said:

Profound!

Davie is buying them at spot.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

Long time passing...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file