Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does PCGS give out MS60 grades anymore?

ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

I can't remember ever seeing an MS60 grade on a newer PCGS slab. Is it still a viable grade?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Comments

• JGnumismaticsJGnumismatics Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

They sure do, seen a freshly graded cc $20 come back ms60 recently

JG Numismatics
    Check out:
    coinsinnh.com
    or just type in JGnumismatics into google
    PCGS/NGC Authorized Dealer
    CAC Authorized Dealer
    ANA Member
    CSNS Member
    FUN Member
    Roundtable Trading member

References: USMarine6,Commoncents05,Timbuk3, lunytune2,Goldcoin98, and many more

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got this back a month or so ago

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't remember the last time I saw one, if you look at the ANA definition, a lot of coins would qualify. I would like to see lightly cleaned Unc.s given the grade. NGC may be a little more likely to give that #. Maybe this is due to the cac influence.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS-60 has long been a rarely assigned grade. I have only a couple of pieces that have received it including an 1839-D Quarter Eagle.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Used to be a NGC MS62, crossed to PCGS MS60;

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is usually given to sliders and coins that just miss a details grade.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess that in many series coins that stand a chance of getting a 60 simply aren't worth submitting. Trashy, gouged up BU coins ain't got nothin on a nice 58. That might be responsible for some of the scarcity of the grade.

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can get MS60's if you want. Take some MS61/62 beat up Morgans from original rolls and lot them jostle around with each other. Resubmit. Lather-rinse-repeat. Eventually, you will put enough marks on those fresh BU coins to get MS60 grades. Good luck.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recall seeing MS60 grades at coin shows in the PNW.....recently though, here on the forum, not many. I guess the grade does not warrant posting... ;) Cheers, RickO

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2017 8:20AM

This one went from an NGC 61 to PCGS 60 latest gen secure holder:

The reverse is more like a 62 but the obverse is scuffy with a few marks that stand out and obverse dominates grade. I had bet on it crossing to either 58 or 61 and hadn't even considered the 60 grade. In hindsight it makes sense, although I think 61 would also have been fair and I've seen worse 61's in PCGS holders.

• QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭

There are quite a few Type Two twenties and CC doubles eagles of both types in MS60 holders

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

There appear to be several dozen for sale on eBay.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

@Overdate said:
    There appear to be several dozen for sale on eBay.

Yep, you're right. Although quite a few of these appear to be OGH or rattlers, there are more than I expected in modern holders.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:
    This one went from an NGC 61 to PCGS 60 latest gen secure holder:

The reverse is more like a 62 but the obverse is scuffy with a few marks that stand out and obverse dominates grade. I had bet on it crossing to either 58 or 61 and hadn't even considered the 60 grade. In hindsight it makes sense, although I think 61 would also have been fair and I've seen worse 61's in PCGS holders.

That is a great coin, I have seen it in hand.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file