Home U.S. Coin Forum

Congratulations to Julian Leidman for his ANA Lifetime Achievement Award

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 5, 2017 6:11PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just got an email from my friend Larry who knows Julian. They both attend the same synagogue, and this is an excerpt from Julian's words on FaceBook.

"I was greatly honored by the American Numismatic Association and received the Lifetime Achievement award last nite. When I accepted, I noted that there was a Jewish blessing that you live to be 120. Since I am only 70, it looks like I have another 50 years to attend the ANA conventions, in the tradition of Norman Shultz, Frank Katen, Catherine Bullowa and Art Kagin. Many, Many thanx to the ANA. I will try to get one of my kids to post some pictures."

Robyn Maslan posted these pics on Julian's FaceBook page.

Comments

• RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

Julian is one of the good ones. I was glad to have been there last night to see him, and to hear his gracious acceptance speech.

David McCarthy - Kagin's - IG: X_COINNERD_X

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats Julian!

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to go Julian. :+1:

Saw him today inviting swarms of YN's to his table - he was in his element!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Congratulations, Julian.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, Julian! Well-deserved award!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! Well deserved.

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very heartfelt good wishes to you!!!

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, Julian.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2017 6:11PM

Congrats to Julian!

Does anyone know if he reads/posts here?

He can be reached directly via his Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/julian.leidman

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2017 6:19PM

@Zoins said:
    Congrats to Julian!

Does anyone know if he reads/posts here?

YES, he does.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, Julian! Well-deserved award and hard-earned over a long. and continuing career as a true professional numismatist!

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember reading Scott Travers books and how impressed he was by Julian. It's a tough field to make a living at.

• SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Julian is a great dude, he will show anybody the monsters in his case without making you feel like a smuck.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, Julian!

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, Julian. That's a long time too

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I met Julian in Dallas last year, we chatted for...a while. He is a really nice man and well deserving of this award! Congrats!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations Julian. You deserve it.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations. Julian is always very friendly and willing to share his knowledge.

• KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭

Julian's always friendly when I see him. Congrats, well deserved!

• dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

An honor well deserved. Congratulations.

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's wonderful.....Congratulations !

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats, Julian ... a well-deserved honor!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to go Julian.

• BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

My experience with Julian has been this:

His coins are usually priced higher than I would like them to be (haha!), but I know from experience that he pays VERY well for good material. And he's always been polite and friendly with me and quick to share advice when I ask for it.

Congrats, Julian.

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2017 8:25AM

At 29, ace DARPA-net programmer and numismatic tyro, I first met Julian at a MSNA(?) convention in Philly in 1973. Eddie Hipps, the only dealer I previously knew at the show with nice coins in his case, sent me over to him with a 3cN proof I knew nothing about. PR64+DCAM? 66+CAM? A screaming moose!

"Can't go wrong with that! Ed's taking care of you." :)

Then explained why he liked it, in detail, for a minute or two, and sent me back to ask Ed to tell me how to tell the difference between an MS and Proof.
    Somehow I read his smile as being happy that someone appreciated a coin as much as I did.
    I stopped by right afterwards to thank Julian and half-embarrassedly showed him the other coin Ed had broken my budget with.

"You did fine!"

And then he gave me a ten-minute lesson on Shield 5c.

Beyond his copious knowledge, google menschlichkeit

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Julian - Congratulations on a well deserved award.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to Julian!

Thanks Colonel for the story about Ed Hipps - now I'm all verklempt :'(

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations Julian.... Though I have not met you, all the commentary and discussions relating to you and your excellent reputation make me hope that someday we will cross paths. Cheers, RickO

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, Julian.

Tom

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done, Julian!!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

congrats on the acomplishment :)

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, Julian. Always smiling, always friendly and ready to share his knowledge and opinion.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

Julian has "ALWAYS" been a top notch Coin Dealer despite the many negative attack posts leveled at him in both this and other coin forums.

The man knows the business and works with the utmost professionalism and well deserves this positive recognition from the ANA! Congrats Julian!

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations Julian. I really enjoyed talking with you at the ANA.

OINK

• krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

Congratulations, Julian. Had the chance to chat with you a couple times at Baltimore shows years ago, I wish more dealers were as friendly and engaging.

Here's one of Julian's early posts which gives you an idea why he wins these kinds of awards:

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2017 6:25PM

Thanks @kranky for the link to Julian's early post on the coin forum.

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations Julian.

• JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

Many thanx for your kind remembrances and wishes. See you all soon.

PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never bought anything from Julian but I never fail,to stop by and say hi. I always feel better when I do

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file