Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Removed

GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 22, 2019 1:29PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

It looks genuine to me. I agree on the Good-06 grade and it looks high end even for a good -06. I think some album guys would try to sneak it off as VG

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks OK to me. On lower grades it's not uncommon for the D to be filled in as yours is.
    I's grade this 4+/shot 6 because of the heavy reverse rim wear. I can't see this coin ending up in a VG08 holder, VG06 seems highly possible though.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "D" is in the right place, but I would only grade it a Good-4 because of the weak rims on the top of the reverse. It's better than that usual AG-3 you see at most of the shows.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said: "The "D" is in the right place, but I would only grade it a Good-4 because of the weak rims on the top of the reverse. It's better than that usual AG-3 you see at most of the shows."

Really nice looking of the date and mint. G-4, G-6 (me), even some VG-8's. Grade not important as this coin is probably going to be in a VG-10 2X2 and priced accordingly. LOL.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good to me.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mint mark appears to be properly located... just worn as is typical for that grade.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice original 16-D to me. Much better than the usual AG's you see. I can see it as a Good-6.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

No signs of alteration around the mintmark and surfaces are original and undisturbed. That's two thumbs up.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    The "D" is in the right place, but I would only grade it a Good-4 because of the weak rims on the top of the reverse. It's better than that usual AG-3 you see at most of the shows.

What Bill says, though it is a commercial Good-6.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

Looks genuine to me. I would say G06 at best. There simply is too much blend at the upper half of the reverse. It looks like a nice example.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2019 1:30PM

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup!

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭

I'm no expert, but it does look genuine to me too. I agree with BillJones that it would only grade as a 4. Way too much wear on the reverse rims to be considered for a 6. Small chance it would even fall as a 3.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file