Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Your chance to own both Topps and OPC PSA 10 1979 Gretzky's

There are 2 Topps PSA 10's (0.0459% of all graded) and 1 OPC PSA 10, (0.03% of all graded) but I have a feeling the final price of the OPC will be more than 2X the Topps. Now is your chance to own both!

PSA 10 1979 Topps Gretzky

PSA 10 1979 OPC Gretzky

I always thought the Topps card was better looking because it often doesn't have the rough cut like a lot of the OPCs.

Comments

• Options
    Many collectors, myself included, prefer the rough cut on OPC
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The final price on the OPC won't just be more. It will be much more. I think your estimate of two times is low and it could be easily 5 times as much if not more.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would much rather have the opc

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    That OPC is off center and even appears to have a tilt... while I'd much rather have A Gretzky OPC, I wouldn't wan't THAT Gretzky OPC. Don't collect much hockey, but is it typical for the OPC's to not fill the holder like this one?
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Cards weren't meant to have rough cuts.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    570k on the OPC
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    How long ago was a OPC 10 actually graded?? This is the newest holder so was it recently or just resolve red from an older one??
  • Options
    Originally posted by: mlbfan2

Actually, when they're cut with wires and not blades, it's inevitable.
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

You're wrong.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: DanBessette

Cards weren't meant to have rough cuts, and apparently they weren't meant to be cut with wires either.

• Options

Cards weren't meant to have rough cuts, and apparently they weren't meant to be cut with wires either.

PSA seems to think differently as they use the "rough cut" whether it be major or very minor to determine the authenticity of OPC cards. When there isn't a rough cut, it screams "sheet cut", and speaking only for myself, I wouldn't give you two pennies for a sheet cut OPC card. So with that said, and for the second time.......you're wrong.
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Gemyanks10

You're wrong.

You are certainly welcome to like rough cut cards, but the fact remains that standard trading cards weren't meant to have them. It's a flaw that OPC either couldn't prevent, or didn't care to.

• Options

PSA seems to think differently as they use the "rough cut" whether it be major or very minor to determine the authenticity of OPC cards. When there isn't a rough cut, it screams "sheet cut", and speaking only for myself, I wouldn't give you two pennies for a sheet cut OPC card. So with that said, and for the second time.......you're wrong.

Lol. You keep wandering off-topic. Of course a rough-cut can be good for determining the authenticity. I never said otherwise. And the who the heck is talking about sheet cut???

PSA overlooks rough cut OPC cards because the rough cut cards are extremely common. They're the result of an outdated cutting system. Do 2016 OPC cards have them?
  • Options

Lol. Of course a rough-cut can be good for determining the authenticity. I never said otherwise.

PSA overlooks rough cut OPC cards because the rough cut cards are extremely common. They're the result of an outdated cutting system. Do 2016 OPC cards have them?

It wasn't an outdated cutting system, it was the only cutting system they ever used in Canada. Even their modern OPC cards up until 1994 when they went out of business had rough cuts. I will agree when you say standard "American" cards weren't meant to have them, but the Canadian process was completely different.

2016 OPC is irrelevant because they aren't printed in Canada...real OPC became out of print in 1994...

• Options
    Oops I posted before you edited yours..
  • Options

It wasn't an outdated cutting system, it was the only cutting system they ever used in Canada.

One has nothing to do with the other.

"A much smaller operation than Topps, the O-Pee-Chee production process utilized an outdated system of wires to cut its cards. Full sheets would be stacked in piles of 50 to 100 or more, and as the sharp wires worked their way through the sheets, all but the few top levels experienced this characteristic rough-cutting from the almost saw-like action of the wires."

http://www.smalltraditions.com...8_wayne_-lot10030.aspx

• Options
    I don't understand why someone would want a rough cut over a nice clean sheet cut OPC Gretzky. The sheet cut card is still a genuine OPC card in my book. It just happens to have been cut by someone other than at the factory.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an OPC collector of 1970s baseball, I like the rough cut. That is the way those cards come out of the pack, and if an OPC card from this era doesn't have at least a hint of a rough cut on one side, I'm wondering if it is sheet cut. Regarding sheet cut cards, you may prefer the look of a card like that, but in my book, that is an altered (or not original) card, not much different from a trimmed card, as you are utilizing modern cutting techniques to fabricate a high grade card that was not cut during the year of issue at the factory. I would not want a card like that in my collection.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Well said, Tim
  • Options
    natsturnernatsturner Posts: 41 ✭✭
    So do people think that OPC posted on Goldin Auctions is a sheet cut version and therefore not authentic from a pack?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: natsturner

So do people think that OPC posted on Goldin Auctions is a sheet cut version and therefore not authentic from a pack?

No. It does have a rough cut.
  • Options
    There are OPC Gretzky pack pulled rookies with perfectly smooth edges. The wires were only sharp for a few hours before dulling and were changed many times throughout the printing process. I love the look of the OPC cut, but technically it's a flaw and PSA should factor it into grading.

Also, PSA should consider the centering of the oil drop on the logo.

There are so many other examples I'd take over this card any day of the week.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: djr

Nice card but I willl take mine for approx 500k less!

That's a beauty!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whats to prevent the wire cut process being applied/replicated, outside of the factory, to an uncut sheet of cards. Or has this been tried/done already?
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BLUEJAYWAY

Whats to prevent the wire cut process being applied/replicated, outside of the factory, to an uncut sheet of cards. Or has this been tried/done already?

I suspect the scammer (because that's what they would likely be) having to invest in the heavy duty machinery.
  • Options
    mb2005mb2005 Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Correct guesses were:

$465,000 for the PSA 10 1979 OPC Gretzky

$200,976 for the PSA 10 1979 Topps Gretzky

PSA 10 OPC = 2.3X the PSA 10 Topps
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

On Joe Orlando's Twitter feed I see he tweeted that the Kareem rookie and Gretzky OPC became Pop 2's at the show. Intersting.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!! Hope Joe shares some pics!! Wonder what that will do to the prices....

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Evidently, the Alcindor RC PSA 10 was immediately consigned to Heritage Auctions for their November 2017 auction.

Steve

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gretzky OPC 10!!!!

Ohhhh my.
    Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2017 7:24PM

Pic Joe Tweeted

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

nice card!

• Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

That is a STUNNER!

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely incredible.

I would say that is the better of the two copies by a mile. The original one is skewed to the left pretty hard to carry a 10.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

What a beautiful card!

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:
    Evidently, the Alcindor RC PSA 10 was immediately consigned to Heritage Auctions for their November 2017 auction.

Steve

I would have done the same thing with either card. To most of us it's life changing money..

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

David, too bad yours has a soft top right corner. Otherwise, that's a beauty.