Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Liberty nickel rare date

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 30, 2017 7:19AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I had this 1886 Liberty nickel certified by PCGS about a month ago, I felt it was a little over-graded based on what a local dealer thought, calling it a fine, but CAC approved it. You have three graders and a finalizer then the top pros at CAC. It was hard to get good images with the coin. I still like it.

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sure don't like it for the grade......unless it is a bad pic.

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the picture I would say F-15. It could be better in hand

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

LIBERTY isn't complete so that VG to VG+ to me :wink:

an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

That grade was a gift.

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

I would say Fine 15 the liberty is full. The coin is weak for a vf. The link is a random VF its more typical of VF even for this date.
    http://www.caratcoin.com/p-BZ100.html

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of LIBERTY looks visible. Might be more so under 5X magnification. The strike looks a bit weak. Considering the surfaces are decent looking it could have been bumped from Fine+ to VF20. In any case the price spread between F12 to VF20 is rather small. The market will figure it out.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the comments but cac stickered it.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    I agree with the comments but cac stickered it.

From that angle, basically a full LIBERTY and showing closer to VF detail. OBV carries it.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2017 4:18AM

I don't see the "I" in "LIBERTY." In the old days that precluded the Fine grade specifically. In the "new days," I guess it doesn't.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that was a 1912-S everybody would call it a VF-20, but not an 1886.
    IMHO.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

no way a VF.
    That was a gift

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks stronger in the second photo, so not as far off as I originally thought.
    But so much for the rumor that "the services" being "tight" now....

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they can't get it right, over graded is better than under graded, the hobby is not looking for new collectors. Also, a nasty gouge under chin. I'd rather have an XF 12-S with a hole in it.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones - Another one for your archive of CAC errors.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

If CAC did approve if, there is not a photo showing the whole slab with the sticker to prove it.

I have been building a file, but when a piece is up for auction, I don't think I should post pictures until the piece comes down. Counterfeits are fair game for such posting; grading errors are are a bit murkier.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The second picture makes it look better, but still no visible 'I' in Liberty.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

My, how grading standards have changed. Used to be a Fine required a full liberty.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@cameonut2011 said:

If CAC did approve if, there is not a photo showing the whole slab with the sticker to prove it.

I have been building a file, but when a piece is up for auction, I don't think I should post pictures until the piece comes down. Counterfeits are fair game for such posting; grading errors are are a bit murkier.

If you go here: http://www.caccoin.com/look-up-your-coins/
    and then type the cert number 84271863 then you will see that it does have a cute green bean. A photo of a slab with a pretty sticker is not really necessary. Photos were likely taken prior to the sticker process.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with the no "I" camp.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

"If you go here: http://www.caccoin.com/look-up-your-coins/
    and then type the cert number 84271863 then you will see that it does have a cute green bean. A photo of a slab with a pretty sticker is not really necessary. Photos were likely taken prior to the sticker process."

Maybe that says something about the worth of these "beans."

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's how the grading has migrated on v nickels in this grade range over the past several years. Still a Fine at best IMO

• Options

@jdimmick said:
    That's how the grading has migrated on v nickels in this grade range over the past several years. Still a Fine at best IMO

Unfortunately It's been that way for many years for key date collector coins in the circulated grades. In the old days you needed a full "LIBERTY" for an 1877 Indian Cent in Fine, and full vertical lines on the ax for a 1916-D Mercury Dime in VF. You don't need either of those details for those grades these days.

@koynekwest said:
    "If you go here: http://www.caccoin.com/look-up-your-coins/
    and then type the cert number 84271863 then you will see that it does have a cute green bean. A photo of a slab with a pretty sticker is not really necessary. Photos were likely taken prior to the sticker process."

Maybe that says something about the worth of these "beans."

Thanks for the tip. It is now noted in my files.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

VG coin -- Was it pulled from a bag of "average circulated" nickels?

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

In the second photo I see the I but it's very, very weak. In the first photo I see just a hint of it...but it does look like it's there.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file