Home U.S. Coin Forum

Leon Hendrickson, founder of SilverTowne, RIP

JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

I just read on Facebook that Leon Hendrickson passed away today. He founded SilverTowne back in the mid 20th century and was a Trading Giant in numismatics. He was past President of the PNG and a friend to hundreds, maybe thousands of coin dealers. He attended coin shows and always showed the greatest respect for his customers; always giving them the best price and service that he could. Much more will be said. Rest in Peace, Leon :'(<3

PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was a nice guy and a gentleman!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad news. Leon will be missed by many. He was always there to help out. RIP

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2017 12:11PM

I always liked Mr Leon. He was a fixture and legend at the big Michigan Shows

RIP sir

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news, condolences to his family.

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leon was a giant in the field of numismatics. He will be missed. My condolences to his family and friends.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was one of the best.

The world is a poorer place without him.

RIP

Tempus fugit.
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sorry to hear this,,,,,, have visited his shop many times,,,,,,, RIP Leon,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

I only met Leon perhaps twice at shows over the years, but his name has been a household word in numismatics for as long as I have been involved with the hobby. My heartfelt condolences go out to his family and to all who knew him. May he rest in peace.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never met him but his company had a large and profound impact.

You were a giant in the hobby and enriched the lives of many. RIP Leon.

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

To David and the rest of the family; many of us here remember Leon with great fondness.
    A life to be celebrated by many.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Great loss...what a terrific fellow

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great loss.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Met him a few times when selling silver to him. I live about an hour from SilverTowne. RIP.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr. Hendrickson was a nice gentleman and his brother, the retired banker, was also a great person to sell gold and silver to. R.I.P. Sir.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was a good guy and very likable. My sympathies to his family.

• GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a tremendous loss. Rest in peace

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP Mr. Leon...Thank You for your service!

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

very sad news, my condolences to Mr. Hendrickson's family and friends.

• WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭

Peace

• 1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear the news, my condolences.

Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.
  • Leon was a legend. I don't know of anyone nicer. He will surely be missed by many. I was glad to work there for the time I was able to. Rest in Peace.

• littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭

The times I spoke with him I was quite impressed at the gentleman he was.......

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2017 6:49PM

Bought many a gold coin from Leon in the late 70s and 80s. He was a pleasure to deal with and always had a smile for you. Condolences to his family. May he rest in peace.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super nice person. He will be missed. I can remember like it was yesterday him helping my kids when they were little at his table at a big show. There were people all around and large transactions going on and Leon was sitting there showing my boys some silver and treating them like they were the highest rollers at the show. Great guy.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sorry to hear the sad news.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condolences to his family and friends left behind.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was indeed a great person and very knowledgeable! I saw him save a very knowledgeable major dealer's butt by informing him the very nice VF 1797 Half he had just purchased was counterfeit...a very good counterfeit! This was at the Phili ANA show in 2002.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condolences to the family.... RickO

• HalfsenseHalfsense Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

PNG Leon Hendrickson Statement

“The Professional Numismatists Guild was saddened to learn of the passing of long-time member Leon Hendrickson of Winchester, Indiana. Hendrickson joined the PNG in 1970, served as the organization’s president from 1985 to 1989 and received the PNG Lifetime Achievement Award in 2003. He was one of the first members approved as a PNG Accredited Precious Metals Dealer when the PNG-APMD program was created in 2015,” explained PNG Executive Director Robert Brueggeman.

“Leon was a giant in the profession and hobby. He was a good friend to so many collectors and dealers across the country. Our condolences to his family and friends,” said PNG President Dana Samuelson.

"If it happens in numismatics, it's news to me....
  • alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭

Leon would come to the Hawaii coin shows in the 70s and would treat everyone like royalty, he will be missed

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry to hear this, :(

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news. Condolences.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

RIP Leon, you had that special way with people, All that met you are better off. Prayers for the family I know your loss is great but be proud you had him as an example in life.

Avid collector of GSA's.
  • JimSheldonJimSheldon Posts: 39 ✭✭

RIP Leon. I remember meeting him at the Long Beach Coin Convention in 1987 when he became a life member of the Beverly Hills Coin Club. He never bragged about it nor tried to solicit any of our members. Great, honorable guy.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

One other thing I remembered about Mr Leon. All his crew seemed to genuinely love the man. That speaks volumes. He was always the first person I looked for at the Michigan shows and the first person I asked about when I didn't see him

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Friend of mine visited Leon with his 1870-1873 CC quarters and asked if he could take a picture of them along with Leon's 1873-CC No Arrows quarter (one of five known). After the formalities were over my friend asked "how much for the 1873-CC No Arrows" to which Leon answered, "no, the question is how much for YOUR coins."

• cccoinscccoins Posts: 284 ✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:
    Friend of mine visited Leon with his 1870-1873 CC quarters and asked if he could take a picture of them along with Leon's 1873-CC No Arrows quarter (one of five known). After the formalities were over my friend asked "how much for the 1873-CC No Arrows" to which Leon answered, "no, the question is how much for YOUR coins."

I am glad that your friend didn't get it. :smile:

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the cross to PCGS.

Here's Leon's store card.

I believe this was done by Henry Alvin Sharpe.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Len was a very amicable person. He would give anybody the time of day. It's really sad what happened to Silvertown after he passed. :'(

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huh?

I thought he passed away 5 years ago.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
    edited April 22, 2021 8:17PM

Leon loved his 1804 Dunham / Dexter Dollar.

He liked it so much he created the following.

Check out the ribbon on the reverse.

It's great that Leon owned the 1804 Dexter Dollar and a 1873-CC No Arrows Quarter. What other great coins did he own?

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

stellas, pan-pac $50s, aluminum(s), 1795 1c s-79, obviously many others but i'm on fumes here.

since he is the founder i'm probably listing a couple that someone else within the company bought but is at least listed as co-owner.

@oreville - he did. i posted a (imo) very neat pic of him and his wife "certified" by CGC i saw the other day.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oreville said:
    Huh?

I thought he passed away 5 years ago.

Somebody forgot the "OLD THREAD ALERT"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

:'(
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file