Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Which auction house is prefered for World Banknotes?

Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 1941 Cabo Verde 50 Escudos note in VF with staple pin holes at each side margin. I cannot seem to find another that has sold that is not a Specimen, which has made putting a value to this piece quite hard. Would like to hear from those with more experience in this area before I send it off to just anyone.

Comments

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

Lyn Knight sells a lot of high end world notes.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd second the LKCA World notes vote.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats was my first choice as well, just wanted to get it backed up.

• There are a lot of variables here. I can't speak to your specific note, but many serious collectors would want to see a super rartity in the flesh as it were before buying. Depending on the country, it might make a lot more sense to sell at Spink in London rather than than LK somewhere in the US. Are you a member of IBNS? You might want to post on that forum asking for advice. There are a number of European auction houses that might fit the bill as well. Again, it really depends on the specific market.

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

I love buying from Lyn Knight because the specific European notes I'm after are selling for lower prices than HA.com ,Stack's and a lot of auctions in Europe, especially the raw ones, or the ones in the World Banknote Grading holders. As a seller however, I'd much prefer DNW (Dix Noonan Web) , Gartner and others. I would also recommend browsing sixbid.com : if said note is a hot item in Portugal, it would make sense to consign it to a European auction house, so that there won't be any missing bidders because of the hefty Customs fees.

Still I gotta ask: what is the approx value of this note in this grade, that makes it eligible for sale by an auction house as a single item?

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3