Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I can't believe this. Who do I complain to?

AstroJoeAstroJoe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭

Bid to find out my highest bid, retracted, and then bid just below me!!
Beyond belief!!

Joe

Everything is all right!

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shillbay. Bid using automatic snipe software to avoid this.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only use sniping software for bidding on eBay. It certainly prevents exactly this.

I would report it to eBay. That is a pretty blatant shill.

• Options

@jtlee321 said:
    I only use sniping software for bidding on eBay. It certainly prevents exactly this.

I would report it to eBay. That is a pretty blatant shill.

Thank you, I will do that.

Joe

Everything is all right!
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

And with 4600 feedback... they should know better

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

It's called bid shielding and is against eBay rules.

You can call eBay and tell them about it, but I doubt it will do any good.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who was the seller, I will never bid on one of their auctions?

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a shill bidder. Sellers deserves a neg and to be reported to ebay.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you post the item number? I'd like to do a little research. Looks like shill for sure, BUT there might be a real reason behind it. I've actually done that before. I realized late in the auction process I bid wrong, and felt like it would be poor form to drop the auction price by a lot in the last day, so rebid where I was not winning, but would not drop the price much.

• Options
    Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭

How did I know this thread was about eBay before I even opened it? Yes, Snipe bidding in the last few seconds will absolutely stop this kind of poop. What people do to steal a few more bucks off buyers amazes me.

• Options
    UnclePennyBagsUnclePennyBags Posts: 327 ✭✭✭

eBay will only do something if the bidder has a history of retracting with the same seller on multiple items..... You get a situation where a guy has a bunch of friends with ebay accounts and they can all shill once and stay under eBay's red flags and you are in a dangerous buying area. Luckily you only got taken for $8... I've seen much worse, and yes sniping is the answer. I only bid on things in the last 10 seconds.

Successful trades.... MichaelDixon,

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

need to see the item number

The things I don’t always agree with are always worth considering.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭

@AstroJoe said:
    Bid to find out my highest bid, retracted, and then bid just below me!!
    Beyond belief!!

Thats a pretty sleezy method of shilling your bid. I'd call eBay.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen that before.... nasty game... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be a bad seller, call ebay.

I have never seen that happen on ebay, but then again I ONLY snipe in the last seconds.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's sort of stupid. Yes, it's shill bidding, but for only $10? Why jeopardize a 4000+ account for $10?

The counter argument is that you were willing to pay $58, you hoped to pay less, but you were willing to pay $58... If somebody had sniped at $57 and your $58 bid won you would be patting yourself on the back for being clever...

So, my recommendation is to call eBay to report this - that gets your complaint on the record. Then

• either ask to cancel your bid (some kind of buyers remorse)
    • complete the same and be happy with your coin

Which ever of the two makes you most happy / least mad...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boy glad that didn't happen to me last night my bid was three times what I won for. Yes their are honest seller on there to.
    Don't paint with too broad a bush people.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tell the seller to cancel the sale and tell him why.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@UnclePennyBags said:
    eBay will only do something if the bidder has a history of retracting with the same seller on multiple items..... You get a situation where a guy has a bunch of friends with ebay accounts and they can all shill once and stay under eBay's red flags and you are in a dangerous buying area. Luckily you only got taken for $8... I've seen much worse, and yes sniping is the answer. I only bid on things in the last 10 seconds.

Seen bidders with over 100 bid retractions in a months .. complained to Ebay .. nothing done

• Options
    UnclePennyBagsUnclePennyBags Posts: 327 ✭✭✭

@bestday said:

@UnclePennyBags said:

Seen bidders with over 100 bid retractions in a months .. complained to Ebay .. nothing done

it makes eBay more money also ... I'm sure they don't involve much resources into checking it out.

Successful trades.... MichaelDixon,

• Options
    oldstandardoldstandard Posts: 387 ✭✭✭

very common on ebay and ebay does not care! look at the criminal activity that they let go on, You notice because it happen to you believe me it happens 100's of times daily. The one thing about ebay just because you won it does not meen you have to pay, it is ebay a full free for all you can do what every you want, I am sure some sellers on the board have a lot of stories of non payment!!

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldstandard said:
    I am sure some sellers on the board have a lot of stories of non payment!!

I don't sell much but it happened on a coin I sold. Someone bid it up, still a decent price, then didn't pay or respond to my messages. I put it back up as a BIN and got $12 more for it. Thanks, non-paying bidder guy/gal!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TopographicOceans said:
    It's called bid shielding and is against eBay rules.

You can call eBay and tell them about it, but I doubt it will do any good.

Ebay can call it whatever they want but it is shill bidding in my book. Actually even worse than shill bidding when the shill retracts a bid.

I have never had this happen to me because I've been using Esnipe for a very long time.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    And with 4600 feedback... they should know better

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a second as a long-time eBay seller. This is certainly shilling in the sense that the bidder unearthed your max bid and then played a game to make your top bid stick. With that said, this might not be the fault of the seller. I can say unequivocally that I have never directed anyone to place a shill bid on a listing of mine (whether in this manner or just "bid $X to keep it from selling too low") but I have had numerous cases where a buyer has placed one or multiple bids, retracted, and then bid just below the previous high bidder to get their top bid to stick. The buyers who have done this have ranged from very low feedback to very high, and I don't know why they did so.

I will say that whenever I have a retraction, I immediately look at the buyer's bid history and if they have a history of retractions, or if they played a game such as here, I block them permanently. In a case such as yours I'd offer to cancel the transaction without question.

All I'm trying to say here is that this looks bad, but it might not be the seller's fault. I hate the perception some buyers' actions give to my business, but until it happens, I can't take any action to keep those buyers away.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen it before, it's just a bunch of BS. Been in the same situation as you unfortunately. Misery loves company so I'm here for you.

• Options
    edited June 4, 2017 9:07PM

But the bid to see on how I was, and retracted, but I was surprised he rebid net day, so that my max bid would win the coin
    eBay item number:
    401337148852> @derryb said:

need to see the item number

He bid to see what my maximum bid was and bid on three times, First was too low, second let he found max bid.
    So the last bid was below this grid om purpoise only to guarantee I would spend my maximu
    coinhumphrey ( 12414

Joe

Everything is all right!
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was not the seller of the cent you won -

if you click on the o***2 you can see their bid activity and retractions. 29 sellers with 44 bids. Most bids from Large Cents, followed by half dollars. I suspect they also sell and are supporting the prices on stuff they also are selling.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bidder in question's history

Not a shill for the seller, but he does like to bid up and then retract to see what his competition is bidding. Don't believe ebay gives anyone but the seller a way to report his action.

The things I don’t always agree with are always worth considering.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

While these practices may be unethical, you should never bid more than you are willing to pay for an item. Just saying.

Trade $'s
  • Options

@BStrauss3 said:
    It's sort of stupid. Yes, it's shill bidding, but for only $10? Why jeopardize a 4000+ account for $10?

The counter argument is that you were willing to pay $58, you hoped to pay less, but you were willing to pay $58... If somebody had sniped at $57 and your $58 bid won you would be patting yourself on the back for being clever...

So, my recommendation is to call eBay to report this - that gets your complaint on the record. Then

• either ask to cancel your bid (some kind of buyers remorse)
    • complete the same and be happy with your coin

Which ever of the two makes you most happy / least mad...

Yes, $58 is what I was willing to pay. It's not the money, but the way the bidding went. Bidder put a bid in and found out what my max was, and one day later same bidder put in a bid that ensured I would pay my max bid. He knew his bid wouldn't win, but my max bid would. if it was two different bidders, I wouldn't have this thread.
    I never bid more than I'm willing to pay, if I don't win, there will always be another one.

Joe

Everything is all right!
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

if you click on the o***2 you can see their bid activity and retractions. 29 sellers with 44 bids. Most bids from Large Cents, followed by half dollars. I suspect they also sell and are supporting the prices on stuff they also are selling.

With so many different sellers and bids from the bidder o***2 it MIGHT also be that that bidder is driving up prices on other people's stuff to make his (hers) more valuable. He may be getting ready to sell a similar coin, and wants to ensure that when people check sold listings, they see a sale of $58, not $10.

I have a dealer who routinely bids on my stuff, never wins any of it, but runs the price up high enough to be "close" to what a normal person would pay. He has similar items for sale, and I believe, he is just creating a "price floor" for these items.

It does not bother me, because he never retracts a bid, just pushes up the price. I see him bidding on other people's stuff, hardly ever winning, and virtually all his feedback is on sales.

Dollars to doughnuts, this person o***2 has another account that he sells off of, maybe several of them.

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a bid on a coin of $770 max, I was winning at $720. A bidder came into the auction (ebay) bid up to the next increment over my max bid and was winning the auction. Then, it's determined that "this bidder" was ineligible to bid and his winning bid was removed. Now, I am winning at $720., but another bidder bids just below my max and voile' I win the coin at $770. Shilled, as far as, I viewed this auction. I returned the coin. Didn't love the coin and didn't think it was an honest auction. I know shilling is legal in New York. But???

• Options
    oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

My opinion of any internet auction (ex) Heritage and a few others is they are a dumping ground for damaged goods, Damaged means fakes, body bag coins, etc. The better material seldom gets sold on these sights. Just my opinion and experience from other people I have known to not disclose the problems. I know one guy that brags about unloading his problem material on these sites.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Soldi said:
    I had a bid on a coin of $770 max, I was winning at $720. A bidder came into the auction (ebay) bid up to the next increment over my max bid and was winning the auction. Then, it's determined that "this bidder" was ineligible to bid and his winning bid was removed. Now, I am winning at $720., but another bidder bids just below my max and voile' I win the coin at $770. Shilled, as far as, I viewed this auction. I returned the coin. Didn't love the coin and didn't think it was an honest auction. I know shilling is legal in New York. But???

Serves the crooks right. That certainly sounds like the honest thing to do at an auction.

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

$10 really? Not worth the effort imo. Bid what you want to pay and if you win so be it. If you chase every scrum bag on eBay and added up what your time is actually worth trying to figure out who's account is working for who's . Its a losing battle, And unless this is make it or brake it money. Let it go and learn from it and don't get burned again. Then when it counts when bidding on a higher dollar item. I always let the program do it in the backround and forget about it. Snipe baby snipe.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's happened on my auctions a few times now. I immediately block.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you were going to shill your own listing, why on earth would you retract the bid to make it so obvious? I agree with the others it might be some other dealer trying to inflate the sales price to push up the value of similar items.

• Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

You have no legal obligation to complete the purchase once you were "outbid." The issue is with feepay policy. Offer to purchase at the last increment over the last legit bid, or cancel the sale.

• Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

@Soldi said:
    I returned the coin. Didn't love the coin and didn't think it was an honest auction. I know shilling is legal in New York. But???

Shill bidding is not legal any state.
    Once the auctioneer announces a lot as "no reserve" any bidding on behalf of the owner to increase the price realized absent the intent of a buyback constitutes a fraud.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised that people would gang up on the seller.
    I've had many bidders do this to my auctions. I've got a long list of blocked bidders who do this.
    It certainly had nothing to do with me when I was the seller.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

People seem to be playing bidding games. It could be some bidder that wanted the coin, but was unwilling to buy it at the level it was being sold at.

Just to spite the eventual winner, they bid up, retract, then stick the buyer with the purchase.

Sounds like a childish game to me.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

Quite frankly ebay gone way downhill since I joined in 1997. We've had a crap load of worthless look and feel mods and it almost impossible to contact ebay and get a valid response with their canned answers.

Sounds like they need to hire me as this FLAW could be corrected with little effort. You bid and withdraw you should be locked out of biddding on the auction. "Entered wrong amount"? Let's see maybe a field to correct your bid keeping you in the action.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cancelled bids leads to blocked bidders. Not so sure it's shill bidding as much as it might be some ____________, attempting to find a lower price. It happens to the best of us but not necessarily to our betterment. And it probably happens more often with the bigger game hunters.

• Options

@ebaytrader said:

@Soldi said:
    I returned the coin. Didn't love the coin and didn't think it was an honest auction. I know shilling is legal in New York. But???

Shill bidding is not legal any state.
    Once the auctioneer announces a lot as "no reserve" any bidding on behalf of the owner to increase the price realized absent the intent of a buyback constitutes a fraud.

Shilling at an auction is legal in New York State

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

It figures.

• Options

In most states, the seller or their agent (which can certainly include the auctioneer) may be allowed to bid on behalf of any minimum reserve prices set by the seller, as long as “SUCH BIDDING IS DISCLOSED” to the bidders. This is also the primary difference between “shilling” and “protecting the reserve”. The way I see that, is a fancy way around "shilling"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file