Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

AU or Unc?

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1874-20-Gold-Liberty-Head-/332214757382?hash=item4d598ae806:g:RRwAAOSwY3BZExam&nma=true&si=fXfSQ2F%2FgF6UQj3xpLCbogq7twE%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I was watching this auction earlier, and obviously someone thinks it is an Unc. and bid it up. To me the obverse looks like too much chatter for Unc., no?

Comments

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chatter has nothing to do with Unc vs BU. If it doesn't have a rub it is Unc may be MS60. If it has wear or a rub then maybe AU50.

Remember AU58 is a gem coin with a rub. No a coin with Chatter.

• Options

If the fields have too many hairlines, tics and chatter usually they will go no higher than AU.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    If the fields have too many hairlines, tics and chatter usually they will go no higher than AU.

I agree

• Options

For comparison, not sure how to grade it frankly, I didn't think Unc. had gone up so much: https://coins.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=51+790+231+3951+3952&Nty=1&Ntt=8970&Ntk=SI_PCGS&ic4=ArchiveTab-071515

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2017 11:24PM

AU55/58 money to me; lots of hits.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyer has upside potential with a limited downside risk.

The melt value for a double eagle is $1215. AU's are selling from $1500 to $1800 on Heritage. The cheapest price for an MS 60 is $2500.

Buyer paid $1680 for the coin. On a bad day he loses a couple of hundred dollars and on a good day he profits nicely. If we assume buyer can return the coin then the downside risk is even less. Seller has a no return policy but eBay favors the buyer.

I'm wondering why a seller with 70,000+ transactions would leave money on the table selling a raw coin if it was truly uncirculated.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

There were 2 bidders above $1,366 so it was a bidding war.
    Maybe the winner got out of control?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of tic marks and chatter on the obverse - both fields and face. Plenty, though a bit less on the reverse. Really do not see rub.... still, it is not a coin I would purchase, unless at melt...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going by the photos, which can be deceiving, the coin has a lot of friction in the obverse field, which would make it an AU in my opinion.

The comment about "clatter" not taking a coin like this from Mint State to AU has some validity, but it can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. I've seen some of these coins that had so much "clatter" that it was impossible to tell when the "clatter" ends and "the rub" begins.

As for my taste, I'll take a smooth AU very little clatter over a beat up MS-60 any day, and pay more for it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not an expert but I do not see an MS coin there :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file