Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What would convince you to join the ANA?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those who aren't currently ANA members, what is needed to get you to join?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

A good reason to.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dunno. How much is it a year. Numismatist would be cool. Is it still paper or now digital.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want CAC submission privileges as a Collector Member you will need an ANA Membership number.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

FREE GOLD EAGLES!

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    If you want CAC submission privileges as a Collector Member you will need an ANA Membership number.

Does it come with instructions on how to genuflect?

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...it's about the price of one heavily polished/cleaned ms66 Morgan (L@@K) on eBay for a year of the Numismatist print edition...well worth it, just renewed mine ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The magazine is interesting...I enjoy reading each issue.... If I could make the shows it would be even better.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2017 10:53AM

I'm not here to denigrate the ANA. I'm here to support it and promote smart collecting.

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ANA is the flagship organization of the hobby I am addicted to and immensely enjoy. I am a member to get The Numismatist, a Life Member because I hate paying annual dues, and out of sheer blind loyalty I guess. :)

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a member for the first year. I want to see them have one of their big coin shows in New England or in the NW US. Those are two underserved areas of the country and they have lots of $$$$.

Everyone complains about all the baby boomer collectors dying off and no one taking their spot, so why not move their shows and expos around the country to maximize their reach and diversify the base? It's not hard to find a nice venu in the NE or NW that has all the amenities that Baltimore has (and not the highest murder rate per capital in the country).

Offer some grading/counterfeit detection classes around the country or online, instead of the same spots over and over again. I get that Colorado Springs is their base, but it can't be that difficult to figure it out logistically.

Think outside the box ANA people, this isn't 1964 anymore.

Offer internships to YN's that know video production, or how to make YouTube videos or how to make websites. They can use younger collectors to help reach new bases and to create new marketing materials, or web series or trainings, or a user friendly website for almost nothing. Start a freaking instagram, Facebook, Reddit account or other social media account on coin forums like this to see what's going on in the hobby. But I'm probably just pissing in the wind....

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    I dunno. How much is it a year. Numismatist would be cool. Is it still paper or now digital.

Digital and they're archived on the ANA website going back to 2014.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you belong to a local ANA member club, the ANA has given us vouchers for one year introductory memberships for those who have never been members. Membership in a local club can be very rewarding.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    If you belong to a local ANA member club, the ANA has given us vouchers for one year introductory memberships for those who have never been members. Membership in a local club can be very rewarding.

Our club also got these same vouchers. You have to pay extra if you want a hard copy of the Numismatist.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2017 3:34PM

@ShadyDave said:

@Coinstartled said:

Digital and they're archived on the ANA website going back to 2014.

The Numismatist is available in digital or glossy paper. The paper version does cost a little more.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:
    A good reason to.

ANA has done a lousy job marketing themselves ,organization to collectors, non collectors .. PR ?

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2017 5:46PM

@GRANDAM said:

Only when applying. I don't think there is a requirement that you maintain one to keep the account. If there is, it isn't enforced. After a number of philosophical and policy differences with the ANA, I allowed my membership to lapse and have no intentions of going back.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

that (L@@k) gets me evertime> @3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:

...it's about the price of one heavily polished/cleaned ms66 Morgan (L@@K) on eBay for a year of the Numismatist print edition...well worth it, just renewed mine ;)

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file